Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
What do you think of the Opus drybrushes? I’m curious what a $20 brush can do vs. an $0.89 brush with dry brushing. I made a comment “that seems expensive for dry brushing” on Richard Gray’s IG and him and some other guy ended up in an argument about it ><. The people that usually go gaga over nice brushes were pretty reserved when it came to the drybrush set.

I’m no pro, I just don’t see how dry brushing could be improved at my level. Maybe there is at a higher level, just curious what you thought.

They are probably overpriced for what they are, but I was too lazy to find good sized makeup brushes. I got an e-mail from them because I bought their Series S brushes and went why not. Plus they come with brush soap which is always nice to have more of.

The Series D/makeup style brush works soooooooo much better than an Army Painter or GW style drybrush. I highly recommend getting the same style drybrush, they are amazing. You can do stipling and blending really easy, and when doing edges you can get nice thin lines with less work. Artis Opus has some nice youtube videos showing off different techniques you can do with that style of brush.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Pretty tempted to throw down for some of these, I enjoy GW paints but it's unfortunate that they haven't done something like this themselves by now:

• 3Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Done something like that or fucking use better bottles. I love the paint range I just hate their bottles.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty tempted to throw down for some of these, I enjoy GW paints but it's unfortunate that they haven't done something like this themselves by now:

GW should buy this company out and make that standard. Their paint is so good but their pots fucking suck. I was thinking about trying to 3D print something to do something like this. This looks easier.

• 1Solidarity

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just decanted all of my citadel paints into dropper bottles, best thing I ever did as far as this hobby is concerned. Labels even peel right off the pots like it's what they were meant to do.

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I agree. Those pots suck, especially when you knock them over lol. I bought dropper bottles on amazon $11 for 50, 100 steel ball bearings for $9, and a bottle of Vallejo air brush thinner for $12. I transfered all 50 paints I had into droppers. It worked out great. These paints were like 12 to 15yrs old and kinda dried and chalky. Used some today they are perfectly fine still. Droppers should let me have them for years to come.

• 3Like

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
That seems like a more reasonable solution, what bottles/bearings did you go with if you don't mind linking? Might as well go with what works.

How'd the transfer go, just a funnel + time?

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
That seems like a more reasonable solution, what bottles/bearings did you go with if you don't mind linking? Might as well go with what works.

How'd the transfer go, just a funnel + time?
Don't want a funnel, you will lose paint. Here's my procedure.

Cut the lid off the citadel pot
Add mixer ball and flow aid.
Shake that shit and let it settle, best to do a bunch at once for obvious reasons.
Match the bottle edge to the pot edge and pour, don't be timid you will spill it.
Add more flow aid and shake it again to get the rest out of the pot. Repeat as above.
If you really want to, you can set it up to tilt into the bottle for a bit using a stand and some blutac or whatever
Transfer the lable.

Those funnel things in the Kickstarter are way too expensive for what they are.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
All this citadel paint talk got me all hot and bothered, so I walked over to my local Gundam/gunplay/anime titty princes shop at lunch time. They happen to sell citadel paint also but I didn't come home with any. Got this though

IMG_20200121_134644.jpg

Know some of you dude's been making star wars minis so thought I'd post this here.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
PGN - 3/16" Inch AISI 440...
50pcs Plastic Empty Squeezable...
All I do is added 20 drops of Vallejo air brush thinner. Mix it very well. Then I just unscrewed the tops from the pots. Yes they unscrew unless it's the real old ones. Then I just slowly and omg so carefully poured it right into the bottle. Then I'd add like 2 big drops of water to the pot and really shake to clean out the last bit. And then pour that in. I tried a funnel but yeah as Dirk said, ya lose alot.

Oh and if it was thick I'd stir with a tooth pick to get it moving before mixing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been watching this guy and others use an airbrush. Vince Venturella is another example of someone I watch who always mentions using an airbrush.
I have an airbrush, it's a Patriot 105. I think I just need to dedicate some time to fucking around with it more than just priming. I honestly still don't even bother to zenithal prime them. But watching what he's doing here I can see the value in those ultra smooth layers.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did a baby Yoda for my neighbor, turned out nice.

D597E42C-8DD0-4C31-9ACF-CAA4E299947E.jpeg
AEAF85EA-C34D-4558-998C-F2428D60F5DE.jpeg

Paints used.

203300E8-442E-41DB-BA65-1D075336C72E.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Hey Hate, did you print that yoda? It came out good.

Ren, how are those marvel models when building them? A friend got the box set and he was complaining of gaps. Small though they were, but noticeable.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey Hate, did you print that yoda? It came out good.

Ren, how are those marvel models when building them? A friend got the box set and he was complaining of gaps. Small though they were, but noticeable.

They go together pretty well. There are a few models that have Malifaux syndrome of super tiny pieces that need to be attached, but its really not that bad if you have any experience. There are a few gaps here and there, but the seams are generally well hidden. If you really care you can use plastic glue or gap filler, I don't as you can see in my pictures of Zemo and Red Skull a couple pages back. Overall I would say the models are good not great. The game rocks though and is super awesome.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I suck at pictures but here is the latest S2D Warrior! I really dig his axe.
I'm working on practicing highlighting. Baby steps hah. I'm following Richard Gray on Patreon, he's got some really good stuff.

S2D Axe Front.jpg
S2D Axe Back.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users