Miniature Painting

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If anyone has a 3D printer and wants some shiz.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I find I will go a few months without painting, then once I finally break out the paints it is like the sleeper has awakened and all I do in my free time is paint.

Yah this is where I'm at. I can feel it coming on now, pretty soon i'll crank out a bunch more hah.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I built some new models... painting will commence if not tomorrow then this weekend for sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Do you guys recommend any lamps or lights while painting? I don't have one and the room light when the sun isn't out is not great. I would prefer one I could maybe clamp to the side of my desk

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just for light this: Cheap and effective with a good daylight bulb:
Light and magnification this:
Game changer for me with magnification. Other people like those glasses but I like the lamp with the magnifying glass.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Game changer for me with magnification. Other people like those glasses but I like the lamp with the magnifying glass.

I use both of these lamps. Swing arm above me with a natural bulb in, LED magnifier between myself and the mini.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really looking forward to getting started on a White Scars army with the new box set this weekend. Probably going to be adding some purple into their scheme so that I can channel some of this energy:

Chags.jpg

• 2Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really looking forward to getting started on a White Scars army with the new box set this weekend. Probably going to be adding some purple into their scheme so that I can channel some of this energy:

I'm on Cult of Paint Patreon, Andy Wardle just did a White Scar tutorial and made me want to do them. They'll probably release the video to YouTube soon
white scars.png

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

I got these today and holy hell do they make a huge difference. I also made the mistake of looking at a couple of minis I painted without the magnification and that was a mistake. Cause now I feel like I have to go back and repaint them lol. I thought i was pretty good at getting paint only where I intended and that proved to be a fucking lie.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got these today and holy hell do they make a huge difference. I also made the mistake of looking at a couple of minis I painted without the magnification and that was a mistake. Cause now I feel like I have to go back and repaint them lol. I thought i was pretty good at getting paint only where I intended and that proved to be a fucking lie.

You can get away with a lot of slop when you're just using them to play games with or displaying them somewhere. As soon as you take a pic though, nope, very noticeable when zoomed in.

• 1Solidarity

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
You can get away with a lot of slop when you're just using them to play games with or displaying them somewhere. As soon as you take a pic though, nope, very noticeable when zoomed in.

Yeah I am not doing comp pieces or anything, so I realize I am just being anal about it as for the most part i will be the only one who notices.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not so sure I like the base, but I don't know what I should do to it yet. This dude was fun as hell to paint!

T5tW361.jpg

T2vHhek.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
WIP on the imperial fists, this guy was my first test. Looking good so far. I'm getting that subtle gradient with the yellow/orange from the airbrush. I still suck at the airbrush though so there is a lot of room for improvement. I'm already getting better at it though. Stupid thing keeps clogging on me.

wip imp fist test.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
WIP on the imperial fists, this guy was my first test. Looking good so far. I'm getting that subtle gradient with the yellow/orange from the airbrush. I still suck at the airbrush though so there is a lot of room for improvement. I'm already getting better at it though. Stupid thing keeps clogging on me.

View attachment 288779

What method are you using to thin the paint for the airbrush? What pressure are you using?

Looking at the model it looks like your paint isn't thin enough. There are small visible particles in your picture which indicate your paint is too thick.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree that your paint sounds too thick. Let’s set that aside for a moment though.

9D0F86BC-A0BF-4AFC-8DB8-B32A39F9D508.jpeg

• 7Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haha yeah that's quite the line!

Well he was meant to be a practice dummy for painting. I didn't go to hard on him.

Yeah maybe too thick of paint, I'm still not 100% sure. I'm trying again.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gold, White, and Purple should work together okay for a paint scheme right? I have no color sense.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Golds and purples are a complementary color combo and work wonderfully together (it’s also a great combo for “Royal” style color schemes, I think old Roman banners used this combo? Either that or I’m just thinking of some nation in Civ). White and black for the most part you can combo with anything, though you’ll probably pick one or the other depending on the value of the other colors you’re using. Just perusing a color wheel quick can give you ideas on what colors will work together nicely and you can tailor values from there (you'll want an RBY wheel since you're in paints and not digital).

Learn How Color Theory Can Push Your Creativity to the Next Level has a short blurb about each of the color harmonies.

The Thanos model earlier in the page is a pretty good representation of what a gold/purple combo looks like (the base and his armor).

1596130630428.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like