Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just a simple metallic base through the airbrush to get this guy going. I'm digging the steel color as opposed to the dull copper I've been seeing. He looks like a Terminator.

View attachment 290810

What color you going for in the glowy areas? That color looks like it would be nice with some bright orange.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I'm planning bright green but I do have bright orange if it comes to that. And lots of Necron warriors to try new stuff on.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok these GW models are really fun to build and paint. I get it now.

Pn6yltt.jpg

1k6Dgg4.jpg

O4wNesb.jpg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
I had this old black dragon I painted like 20 years ago and it was awful, so I stripped it this weekend and repainted it. Pretty pleased with the result:

IMG_3667 (1).jpg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
The skeleton in the ooze. Love it

Thanks! It sorta just happened..

I had glued 2 2x2 bases together many moons ago, but it looked like crap. I filled in the gap between the bases with green stuff. The skeleton was really stuck on there and I wanted to keep it in tact so I thought hey... Acid breath... why not have a puddle there with a depressed area like it ate through the ground? I love when weird little improvised stuff like that happens.

I'm thinking about trying to make the dragon's eyes glow a bit but I'd like to practice OSL more before I take a swing at it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks! It sorta just happened..

I had glued 2 2x2 bases together many moons ago, but it looked like crap. I filled in the gap between the bases with green stuff. The skeleton was really stuck on there and I wanted to keep it in tact so I thought hey... Acid breath... why not have a puddle there with a depressed area like it ate through the ground? I love when weird little improvised stuff like that happens.

I'm thinking about trying to make the dragon's eyes glow a bit but I'd like to practice OSL more before I take a swing at it.

Glow eyes is pretty easy. You’d need to paint that black a lighter color, like light grey or white. Then just start building up the fluorescent color, more layers in the middle, less on the outside. Can add white to is as you keep building the inside. Once it’s nice and bright like you want, add some pure white in the center.

Do some lighter layers on places like the bottom of his eyebrow, the tops of his nostril, and a bit on the top of his cheek bones near the eye. Practice the layers on a piece of card stock maybe if you’re nervous. The pure white in the middle makes it really pop.

A closeup of some flouro green glow I did in the past using the technique above.

F40B4433-DF2F-4937-AADC-FC28B69049F1.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Glow eyes is pretty easy. You’d need to paint that black a lighter color, like light grey or white. Then just start building up the fluorescent color, more layers in the middle, less on the outside. Can add white to is as you keep building the inside. Once it’s nice and bright like you want, add some pure white in the center.

Do some lighter layers on places like the bottom of his eyebrow, the tops of his nostril, and a bit on the top of his cheek bones near the eye. Practice the layers on a piece of card stock maybe if you’re nervous. The pure white in the middle makes it really pop.

A closeup of some flouro green glow I did in the past using the technique above.

Damn that's a great example of exactly how I want it to look. Thanks for the insight, I think I'm gonna have to try that later. I'll probably screw with a practice mini first just so there's no pressure. I'll post a follow-up picture if I don't ruin it!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok these GW models are really fun to build and paint. I get it now.

Those look epic. Nice job yet again and love the colors.

I had this old black dragon I painted like 20 years ago and it was awful, so I stripped it this weekend and repainted it. Pretty pleased with the result:

Yeah that skeleton in goo is awesome. I really need to do something like that at one point. My bases are very basic.
I like that dragon too, he looks kinda like the Spawn demon things.

Violator_true.jpg

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok here is this guy as he stands now. One of my favorite models to date. Sword and Shield but 40k tech.
I may yet change his helmet to white. He's still not glued together.

I'm going to do a second one with a white helmet and see if it makes a difference. Then the 3rd will be the Sergeant with a red helmet, white stripe and a white shield I'm thinking.

Veteran Bladeguard Front 2.png
Veteran Bladeguard Back 2.png

• 6Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That;s awesome. I love that long seal trailing off the sword like that. Very cool

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Those look epic. Nice job yet again and love the colors.

Yeah that skeleton in goo is awesome. I really need to do something like that at one point. My bases are very basic.
I like that dragon too, he looks kinda like the Spawn demon things.

Holy shit that takes me back. I'm pretty sure I had the action figure for that when I was a kid.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This guy takes photos of your miniature paintings and puts them into a 2d scene. This shit is wild.

Sorry, this is the guy who actually does it, the first one is just someone who had it done by this guy.

92513761-CF14-4448-B636-0C40146A7388.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Made a new wash/brush holder design. Wonder if anyone would want it if I threw it on Thingiverse.

50492B6A-5891-4FA8-9F66-F13B1F8CF552.jpeg

• 6Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Definitely throw it up there and see if people grab it. I like that design. I think I'd use those side hooks the most to hold my brushes.

Along those lines I had a custom paint rack made up. I really struggled to find something decent that held a lot and wasn't wall mounted.

20200807_105420.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely throw it up there and see if people grab it. I like that design. I think I'd use those side hooks the most to hold my brushes.

Along those lines I had a custom paint rack made up. I really struggled to find something decent that held a lot and wasn't wall mounted.

View attachment 293143

Search nail polish racks on amazon, they have a wide variety. They are the perfect size for citadel and they’re cheap.

Here’s one I have.

Gospire 66 Bottles of 6 Tier Clear Acrylic Nail Polish Ink Rack Sunglasses Organizer Eyeglasses Display Rack essential oil Stand Holder Jewelry Makeup Organizer

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Even the base level units are really good in the new box. More details, great poses, different from the previous models but enough similarity for a great look in an army.

I'm not a chain sword fan but they are growing on me. I did this guy pretty quick but I'm happy with the look for the time invested.

Intercessor 9th Indomitus 1.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
That looks great, you did the base last it seems? I've seen where a number of youtube people typically do their base first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah i typically wait til last. Especially with these as you can just pop them on and off. This isn't even glued together yet just push fit.
But my bases are really super simple. I might feel otherwise if they were complicated.