Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Looking through airbrush kits and compressors on a few sites. Not much in stock but want to get an idea what to aim for. What are the things I should look for in Airbrushes and the compressors? All the numbers mean nothing to me when I check the info. :p

I guess a compressor with a tank is a must, or it will be on all the time. Any recomended starter kits out there with everything included?
Air brush with a tank is not as good for detailed airbrushing because the pressure lowers more and more as you empty the tank, then kicks back up. So you’ll have fluctuations in the pressure output and paint output. The tankless versions do not fluctuate, you turn it to what you want and that’s the pressure you always spray at. I have a tankless, and it runs the entire time but it’s not like what you think of a tank air compressor that is deafeningly loud, it’s fairly quiet. They’re also much smaller than a tank system if room is a concern.

Now you can use a tank system just fine for doing large areas, priming, and even small detailed stuff, it’s just not as precise as a tankless. They’re also much louder from my experience, but maybe there are quieter versions out there.

This is the one I use and it’s fantastic.

Iwata-Medea Studio Series Sprint Jet Single Piston Air Compressor

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Air brush with a tank is not as good for detailed airbrushing because the pressure lowers more and more as you empty the tank, then kicks back up. So you’ll have fluctuations in the pressure output and paint output. The tankless versions do not fluctuate, you turn it to what you want and that’s the pressure you always spray at. I have a tankless, and it runs the entire time but it’s not like what you think of a tank air compressor that is deafeningly loud, it’s fairly quiet. They’re also much smaller than a tank system if room is a concern.

Now you can use a tank system just fine for doing large areas, priming, and even small detailed stuff, it’s just not as precise as a tankless. They’re also much louder from my experience, but maybe there are quieter versions out there.

This is the one I use and it’s fantastic.

Iwata-Medea Studio Series Sprint Jet Single Piston Air Compressor
Ahh I somehow got the idea that one with no tank gave bad pressure. Might have misunderstood and mixed them up. Kinda limited supply over here but will continue to look.

Any brand/model airbrush thats recommended?

Edit: The ones with no tank had "pulsing" issue, might have been what I mixed up with uneven pressure.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ahh I somehow got the idea that one with no tank gave bad pressure. Might have misunderstood and mixed them up. Kinda limited supply over here but will continue to look.

Any brand/model airbrush thats recommended?

Edit: The ones with no tank had "pulsing" issue, might have been what I mixed up with uneven pressure.
I have this one and really like it. It’s a middle of the road model and I’m happy with it. I’m a middle of the road painter though, so up to you which way you go. You can spend half or less to get a low end model or twice as much for a high end. Just make sure it’s the gravity fed kind like this one where the cup is on top. You also want dual action for more control over the paint.

Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I have this one and really like it. It’s a middle of the road model and I’m happy with it. I’m a middle of the road painter though, so up to you which way you go. You can spend half or less to get a low end model or twice as much for a high end. Just make sure it’s the gravity fed kind like this one where the cup is on top. You also want dual action for more control over the paint.

Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed

This is a great airbrush and its the i use as well

Aazrael

Thanks! Will check and see if anyone carries those. Kinda slim pickings on the stuff in stock atm.

I did find this in stock however, no idea how they perform though.

Compressor Sparmax Aism AC-66HX, Airbrush Sparmax SP-35, hose, cleaning pot and Silver Bullet. The package sits around 300 dollars I would guess.

Will continue to check though!

airbrush.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks! Will check and see if anyone carries those. Kinda slim pickings on the stuff in stock atm.

I did find this in stock however, no idea how they perform though.

Compressor Sparmax Aism AC-66HX, Airbrush Sparmax SP-35, hose, cleaning pot and Silver Bullet. The package sits around 300 dollars I would guess.

Will continue to check though!

View attachment 315378
Is the paint coming through that bottom thing? There’s no gravity cup in the pic. This is not the style you need if it’s not a gravity feed which from that pic it doesn’t look like it.

Aazrael

Is the paint coming through that bottom thing? There’s no gravity cup in the pic. This is not the style you need if it’s not a gravity feed which from that pic it doesn’t look like it.
I checked the Airbrush on google and it has a cup on top.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I checked the Airbrush on google and it has a cup on top.

Researched it a little, it’s a 0.35 nozzle (same as the iwata I linked) and dual action. It should suit your purposes just fine. Looks like a good starter airbrush to me.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Researched it a little, it’s a 0.35 nozzle (same as the iwata I linked) and dual action. It should suit your purposes just fine. Looks like a good starter airbrush to me.
Yea for a beginner it's probably a good price. Was looking at a compressor with a tank earlier and thats 100-200 dollars more and Airbrushes really go from 70 to 500 bucks.

That package with a spraybooth should be around 500 bucks. Seeing as the AMD 5900x went out of stock forever I might as well buy something else. While starting with brushes, I see it is a lot more work to get a good result with them, the airbrush once you learn it really makes pretty coats of paint.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yea for a beginner it's probably a good price. Was looking at a compressor with a tank earlier and thats 100-200 dollars more and Airbrushes really go from 70 to 500 bucks.

That package with a spraybooth should be around 500 bucks. Seeing as the AMD 5900x went out of stock forever I might as well buy something else. While starting with brushes, I see it is a lot more work to get a good result with them, the airbrush once you learn it really makes pretty coats of paint.
It’s a lot easier to prime and do blends and pre-highlighting with the airbrush. You can knock things out much quicker and with less of a mess. People that are good with them (not me) can do some awesome stuff with just it.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Also, what bro with a 3d printer can gin up some EQ classic model minis. Asking for a friend...

• 1Galaxy Brain

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up white/black/grey from Michaels because always 20% off
Oh before you prime anything, throw the minis in a tub of water and dish soap, light scrub them
With a toothbrush. Gets the release agent off from the molding process. It’ll make paint fall off if you don’t clean them first.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I never knew we had a miniature painting thread.

Hey @Falxy-US , you should subscribe to this thread and commission something like this from a FOH Jabroni.
1604622585690.png

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Oh before you prime anything, throw the minis in a tub of water and dish soap, light scrub them
With a toothbrush. Gets the release agent off from the molding process. It’ll make paint fall off if you don’t clean them first.
Listen man, I've watched about 20 hours of YouTube videos and haven't even touched a mini yet. I'm essentially a pro

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Aazrael

Built together a set of airbrush stuff and compressor and it will probably arrive monday. I did not have much choice in Airbrush brand because everything is out of stock, settled ona Harder and Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1 (0.2 and 0.4mm needle) for around $110.

Might have been the impulse buy of the year but I see myself getting frustrated with brushes and getting smooth finish on my models.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users