Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any experience ordering some minis off of Etsy? Some seem relatively cheap ($5-10) to practice on.
I’ve bought things from Etsy before and haven’t had any problems. Just make sure you aren’t buying FDM (layers) printed minis, they really suck to paint.

If you just want a bunch of cheap things to practice you could just buy this. It’s cheap for a bunch of minis and is actually a decent game, especially with the expansion. Kind of simplistic but good for playing with younger kids. My nephews enjoyed it they were 10&12 I think.

Magic The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers Game

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Me too but they are pretty big. I feel like it would be challenging. Very cool figs though.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's definitely a big piece with a lot of large flat surfaces. It seems ideal for an air brush - which I don't have - and a lot of patience.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
While this might not really fit 100% into this thread I'll post it anyways, could not find another suited for it.

Needed a hobby besides gaming on the PC so I started buying paints and brushes to start building and painting scale models. But seeing this thread I might try out some figures also.

Got a F-14a Tomcat on the way in the scale of 1/48. And also lots of paints on the way. The pandemic seems to have fucked this hobby with low stock on almost everything.

Built this one yesterday, F5-E in 1/144 scale but that was way too small. But did it mostly to try out the glue and paints on something inexpensive.

Sorry if not gaming related but I find this minitaure painting hobby interesting and relaxing.

20201105_095549.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Totally fits man, keep posting. When I had a place to keep them I did WW2 vehicles, love that stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah post away. Some of the most impressive stuff I’ve seen has been tanks and ships. The techniques we use are the same.

• 2Like

Aazrael

I almost want to go all in and get an airbrush but I don't have a good way to have an exhaust for the dust/fumes. And the only room I can use for this is by the computer so don't hwant to mess it up with paint everywhere.

I saw there's some portable ventilation boxes but they sounded loud and also need to exhaust outside. Or is there a closed setup for this that won't need a hose?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I almost want to go all in and get an airbrush but I don't have a good way to have an exhaust for the dust/fumes. And the only room I can use for this is by the computer so don't hwant to mess it up with paint everywhere.

I saw there's some portable ventilation boxes but they sounded loud and also need to exhaust outside. Or is there a closed setup for this that won't need a hose?
Airbrushes aren’t like spray cans. They are light pressure, directional, and don’t have the propellant fumes.

You can make or buy a small paint booth for them and it all stays within that. I airbrush at a table in my basement and there isn’t a spec of paint outside the booth. They have little exhausts in the back you can aim into a box or out the window.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Airbrushes aren’t like spray cans. They are light pressure, directional, and don’t have the propellant fumes.

You can make or buy a small paint booth for them and it all stays within that. I airbrush at a table in my basement and there isn’t a spec of paint outside the booth. They have little exhausts in the back you can aim into a box or out the window.
Thanks for the tip. I won't be able to crack a window open during the winter but might work to have it collect into a box instead. I'll start with brushes though and look around whats available around here.

If anyone has more tips for the paint box please share. Saw someone connect the box to a vacuum cleaner, might work.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the tip. I won't be able to crack a window open during the winter but might work to have it collect into a box instead. I'll start with brushes though and look around whats available around here.

If anyone has more tips for the paint box please share. Saw someone connect the box to a vacuum cleaner, might work.
Here’s a booth a friend of mine bought. He just put a tube from the exhaust into a box and they spray in a carpeted spare hobby room. They have no issues. I think you’re overestimating the amount of overspray an airbrush has, it’s very small, and you can control it via pressure, paint thinness, etc. I would do it in my hobby room but don’t have room, that’s the only reason I do mine in the basement.

I don’t have this booth, I just made my own with a tote, filter, and fan. My friend says it’s awesome though.

Master Airbrush Brand Portable Hobby Airbrush Spray Booth for Painting All Art, Cake, Craft, Hobby, Nails, T-Shirts & More.

• 2Like

Aazrael

Thanks yea thats the one I stumbled on earlier this week on YouTube. Good to hear there's little overspray but was also worried about particles not filtering 100% from the paint box fans. But leading the hose to another box might do the trick.

Do you know how loud it is when using?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks yea thats the one I stumbled on earlier this week on YouTube. Good to hear there's little overspray but was also worried about particles not filtering 100% from the paint box fans. But leading the hose to another box might do the trick.

Do you know how loud it is when using?
It’s not too bad, less than a bathroom fan. Like a PC.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Looking through airbrush kits and compressors on a few sites. Not much in stock but want to get an idea what to aim for. What are the things I should look for in Airbrushes and the compressors? All the numbers mean nothing to me when I check the info. :p

I guess a compressor with a tank is a must, or it will be on all the time. Any recomended starter kits out there with everything included?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looking through airbrush kits and compressors on a few sites. Not much in stock but want to get an idea what to aim for. What are the things I should look for in Airbrushes and the compressors? All the numbers mean nothing to me when I check the info. :p

I guess a compressor with a tank is a must, or it will be on all the time. Any recomended starter kits out there with everything included?

• 2Like