Miniature Painting

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I ordered a matt white as well and will see if it behaves differently, the semi gloss white was really wierd. Could hardly make it work with brush. But yea it took many coats to get it white before it all clogged up.

Generally if its clogging or drying in the tip its not thinned enough. Another thing i have learned is the Model Master Acryl line used to dry in airbrush tips all the time. Didn't matter the color, and those were supposed to be 'airbrush ready'. I think mixing some flow improver into your paint/thinner mix might help with a drying tip too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Generally if its clogging or drying in the tip its not thinned enough. Another thing i have learned is the Model Master Acryl line used to dry in airbrush tips all the time. Didn't matter the color, and those were supposed to be 'airbrush ready'. I think mixing some flow improver into your paint/thinner mix might help with a drying tip too.
Yea I think I they can take a little bit of thinner even if they are quite runny from the flask. I had some issues with the tip drying as well with the other colors. Is flow improver something different than acryllic thinner?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah Flow improver is just something to stop it from drying quickly. It also will thin the paint but the main goal is to be a drying retarder.
As for white, Not to get too many choices out there but I am a convert over to Tamiya Flat White.
It's really good when thinned down and put through the airbrush. Just an option to consider. It requires that you use Tamiya thinner.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When looking for advice on types of paint and such, I go to this guy - Welcome! - Tangible Day

His titles can be pretty click baity but overall the content is pretty good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Tried the 0.2mm needle today (came with 0.2 and 0.4) and it really needs thinner paints. Might be good for small stuff though but will change back to the 0.4mm for the models.

I know it's a practice thing but thin lines are really hard to make for me. Either too little paint or a big splat (spider), then sometimes it goes fine. I think it's mostlly that I tend to press the Air all the way down when I try feeding it paint. But for coating surfaces I think I got the hang of it. Won't try much pre-shading just yet though.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Had tome to actually start painting. Very bad so far, but I also don't like the skeleton I got with the paints. Hopefully a wash, dry brushing and highlights make it better
20201111_143034.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Had tome to actually start painting. Very bad so far, but I also don't like the skeleton I got with the paints. Hopefully a wash, dry brushing and highlights make it betterView attachment 317004
First ones are always shit. Wash will make it look better. Have Agrax? That’s what I’d use on the whole thing at this point. I’d also touch up his hand where it meets the bow first. If you try to touch it up after the wash, it’ll stick out because it’s pure white again/not washed.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
First ones are always shit. Wash will make it look better. Have Agrax? That’s what I’d use on the whole thing at this point. I’d also touch up his hand where it meets the bow first. If you try to touch it up after the wash, it’ll stick out because it’s pure white again/not washed.
I got the set of army paint washes. Just did a mid tone which was a mistake I think. Will post some more tomorrow when I touch up and it's not shit

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got the set of army paint washes. Just did a mid tone which was a mistake I think. Will post some more tomorrow when I touch up and it's not shit
Ah I think those are like varnishes. Was it really thick and takes a day to cure?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dipping back into some Age Of Sigmar Stormcast. A work in progress but she's coming along
front back wip 2.jpg

• 5Like

Aazrael

Brush painted the Jas Gripen airplane and decided to try out my Airbrush skills on the missiles and fueltank. They should be White so I loaded my new Matt White to try it out. White just wont go on like other paints. Coats get so thin you hardly see and it pooled up really easy and almost started to run.

Switched to the parts that needed Ghost Light Grey and it went on "perfect" for my skill level. White paint sucks for some reason.

20201112_183305.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Did some more Armada work today. Got my red and blue X-Wing squads done. Spot R2-D2 in there if you can, he’s subtle! Also got the Royal Guard TIE Interceptors done and I’m really happy with how they turned out.

1F7B3C1A-BFC3-4200-9CBE-9AFB35E1CEFA.jpeg76850672-9487-4745-8B17-B5AC70ADB030.jpeg

Also, while not quite painting, we found a guy who apparently doesn’t live too far from us who does lighting for the larger Armada ships and got a pair commissioned. Husband got an Interdictor for his Imperial armada and I got the Profundity for the rebels. Hoping to one day get a SSD done but going to have to save up for that one.

D7BB18BC-EC2C-4A36-9648-1A48D57A9BB6.jpeg

• 5Like

Aazrael

My first project done. I started brush painting the hull and the missiles are Airbrushed.

I was pretty happy with the paint but the clear coat I used failed horribly. I used Ammo of MIG Lucky Varnish. Supposed to do light coats with the airbrush and wait 5 minutes. But at around application nr 5 the whole surface cracked like a spider web, not sure if the airbrush was clogged or if it was something else.

Will do primer and clear coats with rattle cans instead in the future, they never fail like this. Maybe I can find another brand that works better in the airbrush.

Due to the clear coat messing up, the panel line wash did not work too well but I got some lines showing.

At least I learned a lot and will apply to to the F-14 that I'll start next.

Swedish Jas 39 Gripen.
20201115_031015.jpg

• 5Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Any Canadians in here? Creature caster releasing their canuckmera in a couple weeks.

FCAAA38A-CF00-423C-896F-4788F18190AE.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Aazrael

What paints do all you use for brush/airbrushing?

I have only tried the ammo paints due to them being ready to go from the bottle without thinning. They need to be applied in really thin and many layers though and I find myself rushing it so they tend to pool on some places.

Thinking of buying some other brand as I refill my paints. But need tips!

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
What paints do all you use for brush/airbrushing?

I have only tried the ammo paints due to them being ready to go from the bottle without thinning. They need to be applied in really thin and many layers though and I find myself rushing it so they tend to pool on some places.

Thinking of buying some other brand as I refill my paints. But need tips!

Painting minis I use mostly GW paints. For military models I generally use Model Master Acryl or Tamiya. For cars I generally use Tamiya

• 1Like