Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah 100% it's expensive. I'm in for thousands easily if you include paints, brushes, airbrushes, lights, desk, etc etc etc.
The big boxes though are cheaper per model. This one works out to less than $3 each, and Indomitus was the same. Meanwhile you can pay $195 for one giant model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Mega-Gargant-Warstomper-2020 or $30 for some small single unit: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/knight-questor

You can do this hobby relatively inexpensively, but not Games Workshop stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah 100% it's expensive. I'm in for thousands easily if you include paints, brushes, airbrushes, lights, desk, etc etc etc.
The big boxes though are cheaper per model. This one works out to less than $3 each, and Indomitus was the same. Meanwhile you can pay $195 for one giant model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Mega-Gargant-Warstomper-2020 or $30 for some small single unit: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/knight-questor

You can do this hobby relatively inexpensively, but not Games Workshop stuff.
The problem is once you’ve painted a GW or KDM model all the rest are like wtf is this fucking blob of trash.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Cool thanks, might try hand painting in the future when i want to do something new to break the routine. This picture will probably be me though.

View attachment 349252

I specifically play Nighthaunt in AoS to avoid having to paint eyes. At least that's what I tell myself because it sure as fuck isn't to win games.
Are they that bad? Ive only ever painted GW minis
Some companies put out some decent stuff, but most are pretty terrible. Reaper has a spectacular assortment of utterly god awful minis. My biggest gripe is almost all of them outside of GW are resin casts, which leads to it's own set of issues with bubbles and mold slips. I have one model that I use in my 40k army that I got from Raging Heroes because the GW psyker models are garbage, the first one I received had a bubble where the models teeth were so it looked like it was missing a tooth or 2. Thankfully, they were cool about sending me out a replacement.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Are they that bad? Ive only ever painted GW minis
It all depends. Some are great like creature caster. Some are perfectly fine like stuff from CMON and awakened realms, but they’re much less expensive so the quality isn’t as great and sometimes you’ll get a less than perfect mold. Then you have some d&d miniatures which have a lot of flash and stuff that isn’t molded all the way. The gloomhaven minis are pretty terrible too.

Keep in mind though that a lot of the poorer ones are a single piece of plastic so they can’t get as crazy detailed as GW and KDM. But you’re also paying <$1 per mini as opposed to $5-$25 per mini. You can’t afford good quality control at those really cheap prices.

• 1Solidarity

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah it's not that Reaper is bad, it's just the GW, KDM, and other higher end indie shops are really good. The detail, the sculpts, the way the paint covers it so smoothly, it's pretty stark to me. Reaper and Nolzurs or similar definitely have their niche for players who need a ton of stuff for DnD or Pathfinder and don't want to spend a lot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Googled KDM to see what it was. Maybe I should go all in weeb now that I have my own hobby room. 🤔

Screenshot_20210420-073133_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The Kingdom Death shit is just amazing.

If I could paint worth a fuck, I;d be all over that

• 2Like

Aazrael

Tried to make a candy red inner frame on this guy (normal red originally). But the alclad shit scratched off really easy so had to try my hand at noob "weathering" to hide the flaws. Well I don't think I'll paint a whole kit candy again, maybe small metal detailing.

It also takes a shitload of expensive paint.

Screenshot_20210423-203706_Gallery.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tried to make a candy red inner frame on this guy (normal red originally). But the alclad shit scratched off really easy so had to try my hand at noob "weathering" to hide the flaws. Well I don't think I'll paint a whole kit candy again, maybe small metal detailing.

It also takes a shitload of expensive paint.

View attachment 350348
Looks cool but I think it could use a purple wash, then candy coat again to shade all those details. May be too much of a pita though considering the problems you ran into.

Weathering on the white looks awesome.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Looks cool but I think it could use a purple wash, then candy coat again to shade all those details. May be too much of a pita though considering the problems you ran into.
Yea I'm calling it done for now. It's just too fragile to handle it feels like. I haven't ever used washes. Any examples of what you mean?

Edit: it looks very different in real life, the camera butchered the colors.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yea I'm calling it done for now. It's just too fragile to handle it feels like. I haven't ever used washes. Any examples of what you mean?

Edit: it looks very different in real life, the camera butchered the colors.
Most things you see painted have washes applied. It’s super thinned down paint. You brush it over an area that has recesses, it flows into those recesses and dries, darkening that area. Then you paint your colors on the raised up areas again. It makes your raised area really pop, and the recesses look darker. Red is one of the odd ones because you use purple wash, not red. Most shades it’s a same or similar color to what you’re painting.

• 2Like

Aazrael

Most things you see painted have washes applied. It’s super thinned down paint. You brush it over an area that has recesses, it flows into those recesses and dries, darkening that area. Then you paint your colors on the raised up areas again. It makes your raised area really pop, and the recesses look darker. Red is one of the odd ones because you use purple wash, not red. Most shades it’s a same or similar color to what you’re painting.

Ah I usally use panel line washes for making panel lines pop a bit. Contemplated doing it on the red but got frustrated when it chipped. I think I'll try on the backside and see if the enamel wash works on the candy paint and wont damage it. But I only have black and gray atm. Purple as you say would probably look cool.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I made my first fully edited youtube video. Be kind as I literally taught myself premiere and photoshop in the last 2 weeks, but have a look and let me know how I can improve!

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Could stop repeating the "you can skip ahead" with each section (it felt a little repetitive). And could add timestamps if you want people to skip ahead so much.

Love the colors. I really should get an airbrush. :(

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I think you did a pretty good job with the editing/filming of the video. Like was said above adding timestamps so people can skip ahead would be helpful. That's my only real critique.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Thanks guys will def take that into account! It was my first video so lots to figure out.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Anyone used G-Paint lacquer based paint? I'm starting to go over to lacquer based paint now that I got a mask and a way to ventilate.

They were the only ones for sale over here. Well I did find tamiya lp series right after I ordered a starter pack of g-paint but it seems it's 99% water/alcohol paints in stores here.

Screenshot_20210424-155725_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Anyone used G-Paint lacquer based paint? I'm starting to go over to lacquer based paint now that I got a mask and a way to ventilate.

They were the only ones for sale over here. Well I did find tamiya lp series right after I ordered a starter pack of g-paint but it seems it's 99% water/alcohol paints in stores here.

View attachment 350817

I haven't... Im basically a lazy person and paints with extra steps are off my radar.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity