Miniature Painting

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you have trouble finding parchment paper in your grocery store or Walmart, head over to your local asian grocery and get some steamer paper.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So here’s tonight’s dumpster fire. Husband wants a white shuttle. Not a light gray one, a white one. This started out primed in black (I just do all the imperial shit black to start) did a coat of administratum gray and then ceramic white. Was going fine until I went to try and wash the panel lines. Tried to just hit the lines but it’s so damn small I still just had big circles of wash stained around everywhere. Trying to go back in with the white resulted in this monstrosity. What’s the best way to shade on top of white? Is this thing even salvageable or should I dump it in the strip pile (I need to buy some at some point)? While I had it out I tried do the engines on it as well. Looks okay enough but how do you go about making those fuckers really glow?

2E3079A8-89DB-4EF2-8350-F487167AD1C3.jpeg64D32424-DE48-4CC4-9F60-AD2330BF7556.jpeg78BEFF4E-BFD0-4AB9-955C-5BF0E1D46B2A.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
And don’t mean to turn the thread into noobtown, but got pretty frustrated with myself. Husband got me some new brushes a little while back and I’ve been trying my best to take care of them. I’ve barely used them so far (pretty much just since I started doing the Armada minis) and yet I’ve already got one split down the middle. I’ve been rinsing them more often during painting, making sure not to let any water get up past the metal bracket, only try to get paint on the first half of the bristles instead of the whole thing, and after I’m done lather them up in some of The Masters cleaner and leave a tiny bit on to shape them. Could it be cheap brushes or am I still fucking it up somewhere along the way? Is it possible to have too much of the conditioner? Am I not getting the bristles wet enough when applying it?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Hey, I live for dumpster fires.

And FWIW, I saw 'white' and my answer was "Fuck that, paint it another color LOL"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah no joke, if I have to paint something white I will use paint and thin that shit with white ink. White has to be the most god awful color to try to paint.

That lambda looks great btw not a dumpster fire, looks like it's been through some heavy fighting and troop deployments.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That lambda looks great btw not a dumpster fire, looks like it's been through some heavy fighting and troop deployments.

“Seen some shit” Lambda it is. Thankfully the pack came with 2 so I still have another crack at making a nice one to be the Emperor’s shuttle. Might just do the gray and very lovingly highlight it until it’s white enough.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
So here’s tonight’s dumpster fire. Husband wants a white shuttle. Not a light gray one, a white one. This started out primed in black (I just do all the imperial shit black to start) did a coat of administratum gray and then ceramic white. Was going fine until I went to try and wash the panel lines. Tried to just hit the lines but it’s so damn small I still just had big circles of wash stained around everywhere. Trying to go back in with the white resulted in this monstrosity. What’s the best way to shade on top of white? Is this thing even salvageable or should I dump it in the strip pile (I need to buy some at some point)? While I had it out I tried do the engines on it as well. Looks okay enough but how do you go about making those fuckers really glow?

View attachment 352719View attachment 352720View attachment 352721
Well, first off I can't tell the detail but with white I generally never go pure white unless it's the very edges. I would do either a white/light blue or light grey. Admistratum grey is actually pretty dark compared to full white. I would maybe use a very thin glaze of light grey/white then carefully go and highlight, if you have white primer even better!

As for your other post on brushes, I use high end sable brushes W+N series 7, rosemary co etc and even I often get shitty ones that split right away it's unfortunate but happens so don't beat yourself on it.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
And don’t mean to turn the thread into noobtown, but got pretty frustrated with myself. Husband got me some new brushes a little while back and I’ve been trying my best to take care of them. I’ve barely used them so far (pretty much just since I started doing the Armada minis) and yet I’ve already got one split down the middle. I’ve been rinsing them more often during painting, making sure not to let any water get up past the metal bracket, only try to get paint on the first half of the bristles instead of the whole thing, and after I’m done lather them up in some of The Masters cleaner and leave a tiny bit on to shape them. Could it be cheap brushes or am I still fucking it up somewhere along the way? Is it possible to have too much of the conditioner? Am I not getting the bristles wet enough when applying it?
When I made this thread it was specifically for noob town because we had some people just starting or think of starting so don’t stop asking noob questions. Every single one of us here went through the exact same noob shit you’re going through. Being frustrated is fine and asking more experienced people questions is how you learn and get past it.

So, I’d suggest stripping those if you aren’t happy, it’s really easy. Just soak it in Simple Green over night and use a toothbrush to scrub it off. It’s cheap and you can get it at Lowe’s, Walmart, etc.

I’d also suggest priming them white instead of black. Painting white over any dark color makes it difficult and look like shit in my experience. And don’t use pure white, use some ghost white that has some grey in it.

To get your burners to really glow buy a true Fluorescent Blue, do a few layers of that on the white undercoat until it’s really bright, then add some pure whites in the center of the blues, if you can do a thin layer of white so some blue shows through in a wider area, then another smaller area with more white and so on until the center is pure white, lightening to the bright Fluor blue. Maybe look at spacecraft engines in paintings to see where they put the white in relation to the flame color. Now since your models are so damn tiny you probably won’t be able to do the gradient portion with the white and may have to settle for just some white centers.

Attached is an example of one of my glow pieces, then a super closeup so you can see the white blot method in the center. First time I tried I thought it was going to look like shit but I was really happy with it and have done it to a bunch of models since. You can always try the method on card stock too so you don’t have to strip models if you don’t like it.

04E75FD9-70B0-4552-914E-EE04FDA2F68C.jpegE8CBE5FA-9B8E-4BFE-87FA-2A4475AB91F1.jpeg

As far as your cheap brushes...yeah they don’t help, and Masters cleaner is garbage compared to Jentastics drunken unicorn goop.

I suggest buying that and one of their bombwick brush sets. It’s the best bang for the buck brush I’ve found by far. It looks like their sable set may be out of stock but their synthetic is in. I haven’t tried those so not sure if they’re as great as the sables. Some people don’t like using animal hair though so maybe you’d like em.

There are some single sables available if you want to try them out but the sets are a bigger savings.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Most of you paint minis but if someone is doing tanks/planes/gunpla I would recommend G-paint. Im sure most lacquer based paint is great but this one comes prethinned. Only hassle is its only prime colors so you need to mix different colors yourself.

I'm so glad I could start using lacquer, dry to be handled in a few minutes, can use washes and decals right away on them. Perfect for me who is impatient as hell. Messed up water based stuff all the time because I did not let it dry. :p

20210505_101127.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Huh interesting never heard of G-Paint. Where did you find it? I mean is this what the Gunpla community uses a lot of?

Quick updates from me. I got a battlefield in a box for my Lumineth, I still need to put the grass flocking on it. I'm also trying to do highlights via blending. I figured I'd just grab some old Space marines sitting on my table doing nothing and practice.

20210502_153514.jpg
20210505_173612.jpg

20210506_161821.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 5 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I still prefer the old ones. I do like that you can get closer to the model with these, but I don't like the skinny handle. Maybe I need to get used to it. I only use it when the other 2 I have are occupied hah.

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

Huh interesting never heard of G-Paint. Where did you find it? I mean is this what the Gunpla community uses a lot of?

Quick updates from me. I got a battlefield in a box for my Lumineth, I still need to put the grass flocking on it. I'm also trying to do highlights via blending. I figured I'd just grab some old Space marines sitting on my table doing nothing and practice.

View attachment 353053View attachment 353054

View attachment 353055
I think its a newish line of paints. It's from Studio G guy on youtube, he does a lot of custom Gunpla builds. I dont think they do anything new besides being sold pre-thinned and in handy bottles. I think one can find a few retailers from their Studio G web site (studiogundam.com).

I have tried some Tamiya LP line paints and once thinned they are really good. Will probably use Tamiya LP and Mr Color paints as well due them having a few really nice colors that might be rough to mix yourself. I have ordered a bunch of twist cap bottles and will pre-thin them once they arrive like the G paint.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Haven’t painted in months, but Koushirou Koushirou glow questions made me want to finish up some that have been sitting around for a while.

Took a few pics of the process.

Painted the areas I wanted to glow with pure white, thinned so it seeps into the crevices to cover the dark wash that seeped into the crevices during the wash phase. You can be kind of sloppy with it because the green will cover up the sloppiness.

Once that’s dried went over it with several layers of pretty thin fluorescent green. Also went around the areas that I did not paint white, to blend the glowing in and around the spots that I did paint white, to give the glow effect. You can be pretty sloppy with this as it’s thin so it dries fairly faint in the non-white areas Hit up the areas around the object a few times til you have the glow level you want. Pretty easy.

80C6D0C6-353B-41A8-B820-B9F4EEA14792.jpegF1615653-9994-4AE3-979A-CEC56A53EC68.jpegE7BBEDCD-4C4F-42CF-B229-EF8202F9446C.jpeg

B5CE22A3-8F55-447A-818E-1616FDCEDC23.jpegC6A5CCB4-5A1F-42A7-B38D-D9499C5B8C4D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Haven’t painted in months, but Koushirou Koushirou glow questions made me want to finish up some that have been sitting around for a while.

Took a few pics of the process.

Painted the areas I wanted to glow with pure white, thinned so it seeps into the crevices to cover the dark wash that deeper into the crevices during the wash phase. You can be kind of sloppy with it because the green will cover up the sloppiness.

Once that’s dried went over it with several layers of pretty thin fluorescent green. Also went around the areas that I did not paint white, to blend the glowing in and around the spots that I did paint white, to give the glow effect. You can be pretty sloppy with this as it’s thin so it dries fairly faint in the non-white areas Hit up the areas around the object a few times til you have the glow level you want. Pretty easy.

View attachment 353181View attachment 353182View attachment 353185

View attachment 353183View attachment 353184
What is that green paint you are using? Flourescent green? Would be a nice paint for doing the glass pieces inside scopes of the guns!

I've seen a few of these builds in groups but I'm too noob to try doing a cell shaded build, takes a lot of handpainting I'm thinking which I suck at. Your minis all look great and I cant even use the brush to add chipping. :p

1520957758046.jpg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What is that green paint you are using? Flourescent green? Would be a nice paint for doing the glass pieces inside scopes of the guns!

I've seen a few of these builds in groups but I'm too noob to try doing a cell shaded build, takes a lot of handpainting I'm thinking which I suck at. Your minis all look great and I cant even use the brush to add chipping. :p

View attachment 353187
Thanks.

Vallejo Game Color Fluorescent Green. They have a whole range of Fluorescents.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
AoS 3.0 revealed today. This is crazy. I am wondering how many hours this would take me to paint to my best level

angel.jpg

• 2Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like the reduced pauldron size and addition of some chain on the lesser stormcast they showed as well.

• 1Like