Miniature Painting

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm thinking of upgrading my h&s ultra airbrush. It's okay for the price but the trigger could be better.

What airbrush are you guys using and any particular one that you feel is better?

I've been checking out the iwata eclipse.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I use the Iawata Eclipse Hp-cs and don’t have any complaints. I can’t compare it to anything though as it’s my first and only one. I really don’t know what I’d improve though, I like everything about it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I use the Iawata Eclipse Hp-cs and don’t have any complaints. I can’t compare it to anything though as it’s my first and only one. I really don’t know what I’d improve though, I like everything about it.

^This. Speaking from the model building world(where I have the most experience with ABs) most modelers think anything beyond an eclipse is just more expense for features that probably won't be realized by your every day modeler.

• 1Like

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
Saw the stream last night, grats on turning your painting skills into a House, Khalan.

Obviously the correct troll move for people is to now commission you to slowly repaint the entire Chaos range.
I've already had him do quite a bit of Death guard.

Aazrael

Yea the Eclipse is the one that I'm eyeing the most. Many say it's good. Also the Mr Hobby Procon Boy but i dont think I can find that one here.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a Badger Patriot 105, Iwata HPCS and Infiniti CR+. I use the 105 the most by far. Priming, varnish, base coats etc. HPCS for more detail stuff. CR+ hardly ever.

• 1Like

Aazrael

I have a Badger Patriot 105, Iwata HPCS and Infiniti CR+. I use the 105 the most by far. Priming, varnish, base coats etc. HPCS for more detail stuff. CR+ hardly ever.
Yea the Patriot gets lots of good reviews also. Hard to find here though and the unprotected needle would be damaged in 1 second for me. But it seems its a very good airbrush.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Got a set of fenrisian wolves to paint. I've never painted anything I've had to assemble yet. What order do you normally do these types of minis in? Prime them on the sprues? Take them off first? Assemble the models first? For the stands, do you put the model on the stand before painting or after? I'm a complete newbie on these GW models.
Depends on your comfort/skill level and the complexity of the model. Simple non posable furred animal models you can probably fully assemble and pin to a cork to prime, especially since you will likely be using dry brush and/or wash techniques on them. Larger models with limbs that are hard to get around or with shields, you may leave some things unassembled. I am strictly tabletop, so I pretty much fully assemble. But the good detail guys I know usually leave anything that can be attached later off the model if it is going to get in the way of some hard to reach spots. But they also prefer full assembly if they are going to do really high level shading, to keep things consistent.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah we have one of the patriot models (forget which). Its a pain to set up and clean up, but when you are using it in a rhythm, the thing is a beast. Helps that we have a vaccum vent hood to speed up drying. My wife did her phoenixes with it and I did a bunch of coral spires and ocean bottoms. Thing is amazing for mass production of painted models.

• 1Like

Aazrael

I got myself the Eclipse, arriving tomorrow. Could not find the Patriot over here. Should be an upgrade to the H&S Ultra, I'm not overly friendly with their trigger and press fit cup that tend to fall off.

Also got the Polish Hataka Orange paints today, sprays nice when thinned and are really durable.

Current color plan when I begin painting that PG kit later this week.

20211004_172037.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Eclipse is great, I think you'll definitely like it. I only rec the Badger because of the really good price for what you get. Iwata has a much smoother trigger, smaller needle size iirc. Overall great airbrush.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got some Death Korps of Krieg assembled and primed. Barely started on the base coats but making progress:

20211005_180508.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Aazrael

Took the Eclipse for a test run now to clear coat some guns. The difference is huge from the H&S Ultra. Not that the other was bad but the Iwata feels better all around.

Bigger size and feels better in the hand. Better trigger mechanism and easy access to cleaning the cup/needle. It might not give better results in the end but it feels better to use for sure, easier to control the flow of paint.

Thanks for the tips!

While trying new stuff is fun I wish I could go back a year and tell myself to start using Lacquer paints instead of the alcohol/water based. And also get another Airbrush straight away. :p

But part of the hobby is also learning and trying stuff out I guess. :)

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got a resin printer a couple weeks ago. Have printed out some KDM terrain, maybe get me to start painting again ><

5FC92E9C-B047-420A-999E-33B5BB51C61B.jpeg
2915DE86-A446-4CFF-8ECA-B6BBE8494BCE.jpeg
FB1BF069-4133-410F-A069-83C78E5D6BDF.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Good stuff man, can't even see the layer lines on them.
Yeah the resolution is pretty high on these. You only see lines on wide shallow areas like those four circles on top of the pillar. Even then it’s no where near my FDM layers. There just aren’t any visible in most of the prints.

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, he did it just for the dicks. Who knows what sort of toys he'll print next.

• 2Worf