Miniature Painting

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Don't know if there's a thread for this already, but maybe the crowd here will have an idea: Any recommendations for Star Trek die-cast models?

As a kid I had a die-cast metal Enterprise-D and I didn't like it because it wasn't Kirk's ship and "Next Generation is boring" (I had no taste).

I don't know what happened to it but I'd love to get another die-cast Enterprise-D, and maybe the Show/A/B/C/E versions too. Any brand recommendations?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don't know if there's a thread for this already, but maybe the crowd here will have an idea: Any recommendations for Star Trek die-cast models?

As a kid I had a die-cast metal Enterprise-D and I didn't like it because it wasn't Kirk's ship and "Next Generation is boring" (I had no taste).

I don't know what happened to it but I'd love to get another die-cast Enterprise-D, and maybe the Show/A/B/C/E versions too. Any brand recommendations?
Looks like Eaglemoss.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks like Eaglemoss.

Cool. I need a Klingon Bird of Prey too. Would be nice to get a set that are all somewhat to scale versus each other but it doesn't look possible, everything is a uniform size.

I don't like the subtle Enterprise-B changes so I'll probably go with a normal Excelsior model for that one. Unfortunately the Excelsior die cast models aren't blue like the ship is in the movies, they tend to be white and it looks off.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Make it thread appropriate: buy one and then paint it! (Can you even prime/paint die cast stuff?)

Was it also Eagle Moss that had that gigantic subscription Enterprise D 4 foot long model? I’d love some shit like that one day.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah you can repaint metal stuff. Original minis were pewter, not plastic.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Quick update, 6 done. I'm planning to do 4 more to get a squad of 10, then switch over to the new Kill Team box. Excited for both.

View attachment 372153
I like the color scheme a lot. Too much gold on SCE makes them look boring to me.

Yeah you can repaint metal stuff. Original minis were pewter, not plastic.
They were lead back in the early 90s before going to pewter. pepperidgefarmsremembers.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I got a chance to paint a few Dwarven forge pieces this weekend.
20210912_204827.jpg
20210912_205657.jpg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That dwarven forge stuff is awesome. I really should get some. I'm slowly working on a new display for my stuff. One fantasy and one sci-fi 40k.
I got the new Kill Team box that comes with terrain. I'm probably going to work on that next after Dominion. Maybe get a display shelf from Ikea. We'll see.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Taking a break from Orks to start a different painting project. Figure 22 years on the pile of shame is enough seasoning time. On the plus side, the Khorne Berserkers are still modern!

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_215205578.jpg
    IMG_20210913_215205578.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Mobile Suit part of the kit is painted. The trashbag like coverings on his power cables and his mono eye got switched to metal bits I found on ebay.

The big ass backpack with fuel tanks still needs painting but it's going slow due to work being a bitch and taking all energy.

20210915_163412.jpg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I got the Dominion box on release and I’ve only put together the SCE. Been so busy and trying to get through my backlog but I finally got to messing with them. I tested a green jungle color scheme for the Free Stormcast because Ghur has crazy monsters and I figured camo would help. Didn’t like how that came out. Then I get a few guys in some colors of the Mason order from Chivalry which I like how that color came out.

F2DE9141-D4F1-4D89-8F3C-2101F24A4028.jpeg
5AD0F264-184E-49CC-B868-261B2B96CAA9.jpeg

• 11Like

Sludig

New black Templar stuff has new excited, and fits with any needs for larping deus vult politics.

Hadn't painted in a decade and id call it passable at best. Might just break down and commission or find some decent ebay painters for some shelf models as i doubt i have the time or volition to actually play a distant as all the stores are here.
FB_IMG_1632153697484.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
10 Stormcast Complete!
I'm gonna prime the rest, then build my Death Korps of Krieg guys, and see which one I work on next

SC 10 together.jpg

• 11Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Got a set of fenrisian wolves to paint. I've never painted anything I've had to assemble yet. What order do you normally do these types of minis in? Prime them on the sprues? Take them off first? Assemble the models first? For the stands, do you put the model on the stand before painting or after? I'm a complete newbie on these GW models.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got a set of fenrisian wolves to paint. I've never painted anything I've had to assemble yet. What order do you normally do these types of minis in? Prime them on the sprues? Take them off first? Assemble the models first? For the stands, do you put the model on the stand before painting or after? I'm a complete newbie on these GW models.
Whatever you’re comfortable with really. I assemble them as much as possible then prime and paint. However if it’s obvious there’s something that would suck like painting behind a cape or under arm/weapon then I’ll keep those pieces separate until I’ve painted under it.

It’s similar to painting before or after basing. Some areas are a pita to get to assembled, some aren’t.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't forget to scrape mould lines. I prefer to assemble as much as is easily paintable and pin it to a wine cork or something and base separately.

• 1Like

Aazrael

"Don't talk to me or my son ever again."

So I just blew way too much money on plastic. I've built mainly Mastergrades that's 1:100 scale and felt they were on the big side. There's cheaper 1:144 scale called High grade that many are satisfied building, a bit simpler, smaller and less expensive.

But feeling hateful toward the clown world I blew 300 bucks on a Perfect Grade kit last week. 1:60 scale, photo etch details, silver and gold plated stuff and some metall details also. On top of that LED gimmicks and being able to open hatches for the inner frame details.

Will be my next paint project also and will try Hataka lacquers this time as they had the colors I wanted for the armor.

Thank God I found a hobby that gives me calm and harmony.

Mastergrade on the left for comparison.

20210929_153747.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Saw the stream last night, grats on turning your painting skills into a House, Khalan.

Obviously the correct troll move for people is to now commission you to slowly repaint the entire Chaos range.

• 1Like