Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What about 300 Ork boys in yellow ;)

I feel like if I paint one of these a day for the next year I may not suck as much at painting by the end.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What about 300 Ork boys in yellow ;)

I feel like if I paint one of these a day for the next year I may not suck as much at painting by the end.
I hate batch painting. It kills my drive to complete.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm It really depends. This one specifically is for an existing client to add to another project I did previously for them, so I gave them a bit of a discount. I am not a full time commission painter, I have a full time career/job and just do commission work on the side for extra cash, so usually my prices are quite high and I am very selective of my projects. I would imagine a project normally this size might run $5-600 USD.

Fuck man, for that price I could buy 8 whole models from GW and almost play a game!

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, If you have any concept of the value of your time don't undervalue how long it might take. This project might take me 40 Hours or so, so even at those prices it's barely $11 an hour, thankfully I do it for fun/enjoyment and I also do it as a side gig and not my full time job so it's just some extra income doing what I enjoy. I have thought about doing it full time, but I make 6 figures in my normal job so painting enough to make that would require me to basically be a brush slave.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, that went right over everyone's heads. It was a sarcastic comment on GW model costs, not the commission work. I have zero qualms about paying for quality work.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, that went right over everyone's heads. It was a sarcastic comment on GW model costs, not the commission work. I have zero qualms about paying for quality work.
I got that you were kidding around with the jab at almost playing a game at $600 :p

Was just adding to why they cost so much, some people don’t know. I’ve seen big army commissions in the thousands. Pretty crazy to me but hey, hobbies are hobbies.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, see it a lot in Magic alters, people expecting it to be like $5 for a full repaint of a card and wanting display quality at that price.

Choosy beggars and whatnot.

It's fun when people drop multiple grand on a hobby thing, then balk at the idea of paying more than single digits for protection or alteration for that.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got that you were kidding around with the jab at almost playing a game at $600 :p

Was just adding to why they cost so much, some people don’t know. I’ve seen big army commissions in the thousands. Pretty crazy to me but hey, hobbies are hobbies.

Its definitely a tremendous amount of work. I remember painting my big models in the past and how many dozens and dozens of hours it took. Wish I had the time (and then the group to play with). I routinely watch experts on YT paint GW and other high end models and I'm amazed at how they turn out.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I didn't miss the sarcasm, it's definitely expensive for good work. Some people got time, some people got money.

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Still painting the other Gundam but took a break to build up this new kit I got in the mail.

Now I just need khalan to paint the wings like his minis...

Any color scheme suggestions? I have no imagination sadly. Usually steal others ideas and make tweak them a little. 😱

20210212_205417.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gundam looks awesome. For some reason I'm feeling a deep desaturated crimson red for the wings. I'm not the best at colors either though.

Here's my latest, I'm working on highlighting. Making it blend in. This is actually good for me, I'm happy with the highlights

DG01.JPG
DG02.JPG

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gundam looks awesome. For some reason I'm feeling a deep desaturated crimson red for the wings. I'm not the best at colors either though.

Here's my latest, I'm working on highlighting. Making it blend in. This is actually good for me, I'm happy with the highlights

View attachment 334735View attachment 334736
Yea some red theme might work. I'm thinking they need a lot of shading to look good. If I check Khalan Khalan 's awesome work the shading and blending make it really fucking good. Granted thats living beings and this is a metal robot thingy. Will have to practice on some pieces. :)

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Been reposting a lot of models I’ve done on my new instagram, now that I have a better camera setup going back and photographing it all.

148DF303-4FF2-4097-87D1-D0E84D7BBCA9.jpeg
3AC3BE70-6007-46ED-9F9C-4BB73512A822.jpeg
F5247CB0-A72E-42C8-B2A9-9638A69ACBFF.jpeg

• 8Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 8 users