Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It looks very cool indeed but hurting my brain... it's like magnets, how the fck does this work!

Nice to see good printers are affordable. Is the resin expensive? I see that there's usually lots of waste in the prints.
You can reuse the leftover, the only waste is what you rinse off which is minimum. You can dump it back in the bottle or just leave it in the bath, as long as you keep the UV protection box over it.

The resin in the states is $40 for 1kg. The software keeps track of how much each miniature costs. A small warhammer size mini is like $0.40, the large KDM pillars I posts a few posts back were $3 ish in material.

It’s hard to think about when you don’t have one but it’s fairly simple. Photo resin cures with UV light. The vat with liquid in it has a clear plastic bottom. There is a screen under that emits UV light and cures the liquid in a certain shape. It’s sticky and once cures it sticks to both the build plate and the clear plastic. The build plate is stickier than the clear film, so the bed raises up once that layer is cured and takes the cured piece up with it, unsticking it from the plastic bottom. It then lowers itself back down (but minus the height of the layer on it) and repeats the process, layer after layer.

If you ever have parts or layers that do not stick to the build plate or previous layer, it stays on the bottom film. That’s when you have a failed print. Your print will be missing the parts that got stuck, and you’ll have cured plastic on the bottom film you need to peel off before your print again. Your printer doesn’t know that so you need you lightly scrape your bath before each print if not starting fresh. You can leave your bath for days at a time as long as you have it covered with the UV protected box that’s on the printer all the time.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm still pretty new at this and although it has a learning curve it's definitely really awesome if you're into minis. I went ahead and bought an anycubic photon S because it was on sale so low ($150) I figured 'what have I got to lose?' That one Hateyou linked looks legit and not much more. I probably would've gone with that in hindsight because mine prints pretty slow in order to ensure good quality. That's a good tip on that magnetic buildplate cover and water washable resin! Definitely going to order some of that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I'm still pretty new at this and although it has a learning curve it's definitely really awesome if you're into minis. I went ahead and bought an anycubic photon S because it was on sale so low ($150) I figured 'what have I got to lose?' That one Hateyou linked looks legit and not much more. I probably would've gone with that in hindsight because mine prints pretty slow in order to ensure good quality. That's a good tip on that magnetic buildplate cover and water washable resin! Definitely going to order some of that.
You control the layer exposure time. Have your tried tuning it down a bit to speed it up? I do 60 second initial layers then 8 second from then on.

Me, I just wish I had the Saturn instead of the Mars for the build size.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You control the layer exposure time. Have your tried tuning it down a bit to speed it up? I do 60 second initial layers then 8 second from then on.

Me, I just wish I had the Saturn instead of the Mars for the build size.
Saw a place here selling the Mars and Saturn. Double the price on that Saturn but maybe useful if you want to be able to print larger stuff. 250 and 500 dorrah respectively.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw a place here selling the Mars and Saturn. Double the price on that Saturn but maybe useful if you want to be able to print larger stuff. 250 and 500 dorrah respectively.
You can’t go wrong with either, the prints from both are identical, just the Saturns build plate size would be nice. Some of the larger things I’ve printed I have to do at an angle instead of flat. Still come out nice, just takes a lot longer due to more layers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Started on another little DnD mini. Husband wants the sickle to be made of obsidian but I’m not really sure how to pull that look off. Anyone have any tips for a kind of dark and shiny but not metallic look?

FED4196E-5019-43EC-827D-690AEC5FE94F.jpegA30EE861-EA37-456F-A5FE-2915B8F26B62.jpeg

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I'd go just basic black, maybe add a little gray edge highlighting to make it pop, and then brush on some gloss varnish after you do the matte coat on everything.

• 1Like

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Nice work man. Shoot me the file?

Just want to print and paint it. I want repost it or sell it or anything.
Frankly I ripped off the majority of that from a Babau D&D demon I found on thingiverse.

Can't wait to see your paint job!

Edit: Oh, and the fingers/face/ribs definitely required some solid scaffolding. To a lesser extent his lil butt flaps.

Attachments

• Bertoxxulous.zip
    5 MB · Views: 5

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Frankly I ripped off the majority of that from a Babau D&D demon I found on thingiverse.

Can't wait to see your paint job!

Edit: Oh, and the fingers/face/ribs definitely required some solid scaffolding. To a lesser extent his lil butt flaps.
Are you able to export this as a stl file? I can't use the pws format. Thought I'd ask before I go hunter for a convertor, not sure if they exist.

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Here's my attempt at painting ole bertoxxulous:

Attachments

• bert1.png
    bert1.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 30
  • bert2.png
    bert2.png
    486.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Having finished Pathfinder, I want to get over my mental block of brushing paint onto this RG 40k army.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Best effort in a while. Honestly I just took a bit more time to get a bit better result.

Archer 2.jpg
Archer 4.jpg
DSC00491.jpg

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The team now. I'm still pretty intimidated to do the centerpiece. But I might tackle her soon.

SC Army 1.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Was warned that the Marvel Crisis Protocol starter box models were fiddly. Thought I was going along fine until I hit miss marvel and one of her fiddly little upper arms flew the coop. Replaced it with a little piece of sprue. Guess I paint it white and pretend it's a random piece of armor/splint, since it doesn't have the texture of the rest of the outfit?

Attachments

• BlockArm.jpg
    BlockArm.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users