Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Seems you need to adjust z axis somehow when adding one. Or is it not needed on the elegoo?
Yeah it’s needed but it’s simple and the first thing you do anyways. You basically home it down with the build plate loose, mag plate installed and a piece of paper on the screen. Then just press down and tighten the plate. It’s really easy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah it’s needed but it’s simple and the first thing you do anyways. You basically home it down with the build plate loose, mag plate installed and a piece of paper on the screen. Then just press down and tighten the plate. It’s really easy.

I see some guides tell you to print a spacer for it. Thats not necessary?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I see some guides tell you to print a spacer for it. Thats not necessary?
Edit: Yeah, mine has that. It’s about 2mm thick. Didn’t notice it before. I bought my elegoo from a friend, he added that piece.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aazrael

Edit: Yeah, mine has that. It’s about 2mm thick. Didn’t notice it before. I bought my elegoo from a friend, he added that piece.
Seems the Mars3 have some z-axis flex. Some hate it and some says it does not affect printing. Will see what I get, the Mars2 Pro is a bit cheaper and will probably be enough for me. Sucks it's xmas and long delivery time right now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Seems the Mars3 have some z-axis flex. Some hate it and some says it does not affect printing. Will see what I get, the Mars2 Pro is a bit cheaper and will probably be enough for me. Sucks it's xmas and long delivery time right now.
I have the mars 1 pro and the prints are fantastic. I’m sure 2 are just as good, they’re both 2k resolution . The 3 is 4K. I’ve never seen any 4K in person but I’m sure they’re crazy with how good 2k already is.

• 1Like

Aazrael

I have the mars 1 pro and the prints are fantastic. I’m sure 2 are just as good, they’re both 2k resolution . The 3 is 4K. I’ve never seen any 4K in person but I’m sure they’re crazy with how good 2k already is.
Ended up getting the mars2 pro. The v3 was locked to one software as well for slicing.

Got any 3d printed stuff painted that you can show off?

• 1Like

Aazrael

Invested 8 bucks into artisan guild patreon for some starter models. Barbarians this month and vampires in January.

Now I need to rethink paints, I mostly got airbrush/lacquer paints nowadays.

I know I asked before but can't find it. What's a good paint series for brushing minis? I saw Vallejo game color and citadel was available over here.

Here's a sample what I got access to from the Patreon.

Screenshot_20211226-233509_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211226-233423_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Invested 8 bucks into artisan guild patreon for some starter models. Barbarians this month and vampires in January.

I know I asked before but can't find it. What's a good paint series for brushing minis? I saw Vallejo game color and citadel was available over here.

View attachment 389912View attachment 389913
Vallejo and Citadel are both good paint lines. Maybe get a starter of each and see which you like better. Vallejo is probably going to be priced better.

To answer your earlier question, I don’t really have anything to show off that I’ve painted that I’ve resin printed. I’ve printed a few things but haven’t stuck any paint on them yet. I’ve done a few small things my wife and kid asked for but nothing to show off here. Not sure what’s up but my will to paint died this year. I still want to, just haven’t yet. That’s kind of how I am with stuff, I’ll hit it really hard for a while, then stop completely, do something else for a while, rinse repeat.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 389912View attachment 389913
I'm an Army Painter guy for paints but I've heard Vallejo is very similar in quality. Citadel isn't bad but I prefer to not pay 2x as much for smaller pots of paint. Army Painter also has their Speedpaint line coming out in February to compete with the Citadel contrast paints which is a pretty big deal.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Aazrael

Thanks! Yea the citadel was a bit pricey, but maybe they are thicker and contain more paint? Not sure.

Hateyou Hateyou Yea I got what you are saying. I lost the flow on painting gunpla for now. I still want to do it but feel like I want to try some hand painting to break the monotony.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Citadel contains more pigment than army painter or Vallejo in my experience. More pigment generally means better coverage with thinner coats which is good. Overall they are all acceptable. I highly recommend for your first model picking your pallet and then heading to your local store and just picking up those 4-5 bottles and trying them out. If you don't like that brand, on the next model go get the colors for your pallet from another brand until you figure out what you like. That way you are only blowing 20 bucks at a clip instead of 100.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Highly recommend Vallejo to try out. They have the best mix of quality and value imo. I have a lot of paints I like but to start, definitely Vallejo.

Current WIP:
Galen WIP 1.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Aazrael

Highly recommend Vallejo to try out. They have the best mix of quality and value imo. I have a lot of paints I like but to start, definitely Vallejo.

Current WIP:
View attachment 389965
Allready got some Vallejos i can try out. Also ordered a few Army Paint to try. Citadel seems good but they cost a lot more to get a good batch of paints.

The 3d printer is taking it's time to even be shipped so bought a Warhammer figure to start on. Might not have gone for the easy choice but he looked damn cool and did not cost $100+... WH figures seem to be cast in gold.

Will be good to practice on until I can get some models printed in a week or two.

nighthaunt-reikenor-the-grimhailer.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yah for Citadel I would just get a few one offs when you're ready. Start with their washes/shades like Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Fleshshade.
I also love Rhinox hide for a really good brown, khorne red, and Mephiston Red.
But even just one is good to start.

That model looks awesome. Definitely post when you paint it.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Allready got some Vallejos i can try out. Also ordered a few Army Paint to try. Citadel seems good but they cost a lot more to get a good batch of paints.

The 3d printer is taking it's time to even be shipped so bought a Warhammer figure to start on. Might not have gone for the easy choice but he looked damn cool and did not cost $100+... WH figures seem to be cast in gold.

Will be good to practice on until I can get some models printed in a week or two.

View attachment 389989
1640649525027.jpeg

• 2Worf

Aazrael

Yea will probably be just that. :eek:

I just wanted a big model that did not cost a fortune. Lots of out of stock and expensive stuff.

And Citadel washes seems to be a good thing to buy. Are glaze the same as washes? All new words to me as I have just used normal paints so far.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yea will probably be just that. :eek:

I just wanted a big model that did not cost a fortune. Lots of out of stock and expensive stuff.

And Citadel washes seems to be a good thing to buy. Are glaze the same as washes? All new words to me as I have just used normal paints so far.
No, glazes are for bringing colors up. So multiple layers of glazes makes a very smooth color, transparent, so undercoat color matters more. Easy to make yourself by just highly diluting your paint with water.

Washes are for darkening, filling in crevices with shadows.

• 2Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can make your own washes too, need some medium, flow improver, clean water and ink. Sounds expensive but if you paint a lot of minis or need a particular shade it works.

• 1Like