Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great stuff Khalan Khalan . I like everything on them. Colors, bases, models. All good man.

I still have 6 terminators to go. Hopefully 5 after today. Then I'll likely be gearing up for that new Cadian box. Looks awesome.

1665325004987.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Before covid my LGS would do paint nights and one of the upcoming ones was doing a young red DnD dragon and I was excited as hell for this one. Then covid happened and the store had to close, but one of the employees gave me one to take home since they had a pile of them now. Figured since we’re moving, I’d finally get around to painting the thing and gifting it to the store as a small thank you since they’ve treated my husband and I extremely well over the years.

Tried out the contrast paint for the first time (the main red) and it didn’t seem too bad! My first time doing any kind of flame effect, which, eh, could have gone better. I tried adding some lighting on the chest and forelegs also, but that probably could have gone better also. Overall, pretty happy with it, seeing as I’ve been very out of practice.

View attachment 418363View attachment 418364View attachment 418365
Reading back a few pages as I have refused to look at this page for months while I wasn't painting, since it would just make me feel bad. Funny that I ran into this post as I had just finished painting the Young Blue Dragon.
20221014_111559.jpg
20221014_111545.jpg

20221014_111516.jpg

You can see some of my Iyanden Aeldari in the background of one of the pictures. I started painting them first, and I discovered that I LOVE painting (I am otherwise not an artistic person in the least). However, I fucking hate clipping and cleaning and assembling models. These preprimed Nolzur's D&D miniatures do it for me. Even if I have no intention of using them to actually play anything with.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Reading back a few pages as I have refused to look at this page for months while I wasn't painting, since it would just make me feel bad. Funny that I ran into this post as I had just finished painting the Young Blue Dragon.View attachment 439621View attachment 439622

View attachment 439624

You can see some of my Iyanden Aeldari in the background of one of the pictures. I started painting them first, and I discovered that I LOVE painting (I am otherwise not an artistic person in the least). However, I fucking hate clipping and cleaning and assembling models. These preprimed Nolzur's D&D miniatures do it for me. Even if I have no intention of using them to actually play anything with.

Ive got a whole slew of the young dragons to paint still. Apparently there was a run of misprints at some point, so my LGS was getting rid of them at like 3/4 the price. Not sure when I’ll get to them, though.

Just picked up some paint pens. Next project is going to try my hand and just doing some extra details on this model:

BCB3F27F-50DF-48CA-9D96-A67C2B7593C2.jpeg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Reading back a few pages as I have refused to look at this page for months while I wasn't painting, since it would just make me feel bad. Funny that I ran into this post as I had just finished painting the Young Blue Dragon.View attachment 439621View attachment 439622

View attachment 439624

Good start man. Don’t get frustrated with other people’s stuff, it all comes in time. I’m not an artistic person either, painting miniatures works for me cause I have something already in front of me, I can imagine what I want it to look like and get it close.

It looks like you have a decent start on base coating and shading. Time to start dabbling in highlights, it’ll give more layers and interest points to the model. One thing I noticed was his horn and teeth look pretty good/weathered/dirty but his claws are pure white. You should do whatever you did to the horn to the claws imo, and even darker towards the foot.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Few more things I finished since the last army shot. Windriders, more scouts and a custom built Baharroth.

930CF245-55FC-4DA2-819F-004F3632DBD2.jpeg
BB16DF3A-30C3-4A0D-9D11-906A338CE971.jpeg
3C57BFFC-31CD-4636-A0E5-87C3C24CE153.jpeg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
“When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won." - Justicar Alaric

My Grey Knights

2F1C5590-4A43-4CF7-BA3B-D20D90C7DA9A.jpeg
68DB6AFB-F185-4DBF-9A75-FDB547A35FEC.jpeg
FD8C2195-6FCD-44A6-BCE2-282E90935F85.jpeg
818BD2D7-76E4-483B-A809-6003ECB1EB0E.jpeg
F158D837-7981-4C26-A506-572832F1AF66.jpeg
59836E97-41B8-465F-9885-3C07FA0E94EA.jpeg
D184F2B3-4371-444E-8E12-D4F795F8052E.jpeg

• 14Like
Reactions: 13 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

View attachment 439624

How did you paint it? Looks like each surface is just black basecoat and then one colour.

I always liked washes to get into the detail.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
How did you paint it? Looks like each surface is just black basecoat and then one colour.

I always liked washes to get into the detail.
These come preprimed grey out of the box. The body was Altdorf Guard Blue with Drakenhof Nightshade shade. I also did a dry brush of a couple of lighter blues along the spinal ridge and some of the parts jutting out of the head after the shade. Underbelly was Screaming Skull with Agrax Earthshade. The wings were Ungor Flesh with Aggaros Dunes (Contrast) right on it. I was trying to emulate the mottled sand swept wing look from the D&D Monster Manual. Claws, teeth and mouth are just plain colors as explained above, I didn't really think about doing anything special with them until it was mentioned here.

I am a super novice painter who very occasionally paints for fun, of just random miniatures I like. The horn probably had the most creativity, for me. It is a series of orange/yellow/red as it goes to the top. Unfortunately I have no blending skill so it looked very artificial, thus the white dry brush to give it the weathered look with a little bit of the colors showing underneath to make the horn look "active". The base was Steel Legion Drab, then Agrax Earthshade, and finally a dry brush of Hexos Palesun. It actually gave it the correct sand blasted rock look that I was looking for, as Blue Dragons are supposed to be desert dragons in D&D lore.

Again, there is leagues of difference between me and most of the people in this thread who clearly put a lot of passion and work into their minis, I have three young kids and a couple of free hours a week to sit down and throw some paint on dragons :D

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Great stuff Khalan Khalan . I like everything on them. Colors, bases, models. All good man.

I still have 6 terminators to go. Hopefully 5 after today. Then I'll likely be gearing up for that new Cadian box. Looks awesome.

View attachment 437094
Lot of new units I apparently missed coming out. not sure I like the Vietnam helmets and short sleeves over classic models. but love me some more heavy weapons

• 1Like

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Just jumping into this hobby with my kids and am amazed at the painting skills I've seen here and in the local Warhammer shop. It's intimidating, but we're moving along as we've just painted our first miniature at the store with help and are now gluing together a starter set to start painting.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just jumping into this hobby with my kids and am amazed at the painting skills I've seen here and in the local Warhammer shop. It's intimidating, but we're moving along as we've just painted our first miniature at the store with help and are now gluing together a starter set to start painting.
That is great you are jumping in. I’ve played since the 90’s. I started with fantasy and switched over to 40K the moment Necrons popped up in the 90’s white dwarf. I love Chaos Etc but my favorite army is Necrons.

I live 3 blocks from a Games Workshop store and they offered my son and I to come in for a painting class. He is only 4 but loves Ultramarines. He is all about good guys and being “good” and loving police. He calls them Police Marines because they are blue.

Some of these guys are quite amazing and I’m probably going to commission a paint job because I don’t have the time to paint right now. Once I break out the air brush gun and get going I think I’ll get more painting done.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
That is great you are jumping in. I’ve played since the 90’s. I started with fantasy and switched over to 40K the moment Necrons popped up in the 90’s white dwarf. I love Chaos Etc but my favorite army is Necrons.

I live 3 blocks from a Games Workshop store and they offered my son and I to come in for a painting class. He is only 4 but loves Ultramarines. He is all about good guys and being “good” and loving police. He calls them Police Marines because they are blue.

Some of these guys are quite amazing and I’m probably going to commission a paint job because I don’t have the time to paint right now. Once I break out the air brush gun and get going I think I’ll get more into painting.
Yeah my oldest 2 that are into it now are 8 and 6 and I was surprised how well they did at painting the free stormcast and then space marine. They are more interested in the AoS side right now, but I bet if we stay with it we'll end up buying into both games. Last night was our 2nd trip to the store and my older boy wanted to learn the rules and the younger wanted to paint again. They both had a blast.

• 1Solidarity