MLB 2013 season

opiate82

Bronze Squire
that's not necessarily true. the yankees won quite a few world series by buying every free agent and effectively raising salary ceilings so that other teams couldn't afford to compete. there's a little more parity nowadays but some teams aren't able to keep up due to lack of revenue or sheer frugality (blue jays).
If you look at when the Yankees started spending big (really not till 2001 after they lost to Arizona) it hasn't resulted in that many titles. Prior to '01 they were winning with home-grown talent. Also if you compare baseball to football the last 11 years:

Last 11 Super Bowls vs 11 World Series:
N.E. 3 Super Bowl wins
NYY 2 World Series wins
Football has had 7 unique Winners, Baseball 8 unique Winners.
(*note, these stats are from an argument I had with a buddy of this very subject, and are either a year or two old. Since the winners of the last WS and Superbowl were both repeat winners, it shouldn't change the point that much.)

Here is a great write-up on money translating to wins in baseball:http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...oney-and-wins/

So here?s the point: Wins and salaries are closely tied, but the relationship between the two has changed over time. There is no doubt that some of the change has been random, or the simple result of individual team successes and failures, but some of it also seems to be related to structural changes in the game. The current state of the game? Despite the outrageous spending ways of the Yankees, it?s settled into a pattern that is more competitive than any previous time period, other than the years of collusion.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Scott Diamond
Vance Worley
Mike Pelfrey
Kevin Correia
Liam Hendriks

Can't wait. Lol.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What, you aren't excited at the prospects of Hector Noesi filling a rotation spot next season?

Seriously though, what don't you like about it? Seems like a side-grade to me but I think Vargas was going to take a hit in his numbers because of the fences coming in so if you wanted to trade him, this was the off-season to do it. Morales hopefully means that Smoak can spend a year tearing up AAA and building up some trade-value equity again.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It's less at-bats for Smoak and Montero to develop. There isn't enough talent available at this point to make the Mariners into a contender, so they need to treat 2013 as another developmental year.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You don't think they option Smoak leaving Montero and Morales to split AB's between 1B/DH? That is what I would do...

Also going with your "developmental" year, this really does open up a rotation spot for one (or more) of the big 3.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I don't think they will, no. Smoak really has nothing left to learn in AAA, and it'd lower his already low perceived value.

I don't think any of the pitching options they have internally will be ready to contribute at the beginning of the year, so they'll have to go outside the organization for a stopgap.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Told you three years ago that Smoak wasn't going to be all that hot. Though you got Blake Bevin out of the deal, so I guess its a push.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
You should get a job being a paid analyst then, since you were right about Smoak when everyone else was wrong.

Sometimes prospects don't develop, and pretending you saw something that nobody else did is stupid.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
If the Mariners were really serious they'd sign Swisher and trade some of their prospect pile of pitchers for a young dynamic bat. Ackely needs to stop regressing and Montero needs to break out.

I was a Montero fan when he was a yankee and even though the trade for either team hasn't really worked out yet, I think he will be an important piece for them. I'd also take him back for Ivan Nova
smile.png

smile.png

Karloff_sl

shitlord
The word is that Swisher doesn't really want to come here.
Swish has an attractive Hollywood actress as a wife so I'm sure he'd like like somewhere close to LA or NY but I hadn't heard anything about not wanting to come to Seattle. I know the Indians are pulling out the welcome wagon.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I would like to see Bagwell and Biggio go in together but likely it won't happen. Biggio had the highest vote total this time around.