MLB 2013 season

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The only thing more obnoxious than people that refuse to acknowledge advanced baseball stats are the fucking nerds who won't shut the fuck about them.
Yeah, wanting to have a better understanding of how baseball actually works and what things are and aren't meaningful when evaluating players is sooooo obnoxious.

You sound like Jim Bowden, and that's not a compliment.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Give Grimm a break. He hasn't really payed attention to baseball in about 20 years.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
hes having a hell of a season any way you put it. Im okay with him winning the cy young, but theres a few other pitchers that should be considered as well.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I just think it's odd that pitchers like Kuroda and Darvish aren't even in the conversation. Every analyst has been talking about Scherzer vs. Hernandez with the edge going to Scherzer because of his stupid fucking record.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Uh, what conversation are you listening to? Maybe you just need to listen to smarter analysts. There's been a lot of praise this season for Kuroda and Darvish, as well as Iwakuma (although he's not quite in that same class).

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I hate that people act like Scherzer has 19 wins but is doing it without pitching well. Dude has a top 5 ERA, the lowest WHIP and is near the top in Ks and hes pitching a lot of innings. You can't disregard a 19-1 record, no matter how new age you are, because that means while yes his offense is giving him the lead he isn't giving leads up. Dude hasn't pitched less than 6 innings since April 24, hes pitched at least 5 innings every single start. That isn't to say Darvish shouldn't be in the discussion (Kuroda is pitching himself out of the conversation) and maybe Darvish should even be the favorite right now, but people talking like Scherzer would be an atrocious Cy Young winner b/c of his W-L record reminds me of the white guilt, reverse racist, overly politically correct wave that's sweeping over the country. I know I'm overreacting but fuck, its annoying. Just ask Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams, its not all about the advanced stats!

Its not King Felix's season where he didn't have the W-L record but the stats were overwhelming, and EVERYONE agreed that he should be the Cy Young winner. You can make a very nice argument for Scherzer regardless of record.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Right, he's actually pitching really fucking good, he's just had the run support to back it up so his wins are high. Darvish has pitched as well but he's been the victim of only allowing 2 runs and coming away with a loss or no decision more often than not.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, wanting to have a better understanding of how baseball actually works and what things are and aren't meaningful when evaluating players is sooooo obnoxious.
Hey I remember where I said that!

Advanced stats are rad(they're gonna get Cutch his MVP!), people who gab your ear off about them are awful.

I'm sorry that you are incapable of understanding nuance and every single thing is some wild extreme to one end or the other in your mind. Seemingly taken to it's furthest, and usually dumbest, possible conclusion. Someone doesn't like the color green? ANTI-IRISH PIECE OF SHIT!

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
In Darvish's losses this season, he has a sub 3.00 ERA - Rangers offense has been streaky much of the year due to losing some power hitters to FA/suspension/injury (they are doing much better now that they have switched up the lineup and switched up their style since losing Cruz). Meanwhile he's on a historic strikeout pace (should have most since Randy Johnson in the early 2000s) and is a tad over 12/SO per 9 innings and no one else is even over 10.00! His peripherals are all pretty close to the other top pitchers.

Meanwhile Scherzer (who is pitching really well) is getting over 5 runs in run support in his starts, which leads the league. His only loss is to the Rangers.

It's hard for me to think Felix has the edge here, I've seen every start of his vs the Rangers this year and he has looked TERRIBLE in all of them - he just gave up 9 runs last night. His ERA vs the Rangers this year is over 5.00 and it.s like 2.12 vs everyone else. They bumped his ERA from 2.63 to 2.97 - that may hurt him in the Cy Young race. Ranger's hitters trying to help Darvish out there.

Qt8Wp8R.jpg

if the rangers don't win the division, they're lucky to have an ace like darvish to pitch them through the one game play in.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Damn. Imagine if CNN or ESPN had writers willing to rebut some of the erroneous claims their retarded coworkers make.