MLB 2013 season

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yep, Wainwright served up some fine batting practice tonight. Cards were seriously out-played tonight, said Dr. Obvious.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The odds are all kinds of against us (as are the media), but I am charmed. I was at Game 7 in 2011. The rest of my baseball life cannot get any better than that anyway so what the hell.

I will say this; Boston has the single worst population of fans in all of sports. Do you people even posses the capability of seeing yourself from the outside looking in?

Don't bother answering, the answer is no. But really, I don't ever want to ever hear about a 'poor' Boston team....never ever forever.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
But really, I don't ever want to ever hear about a 'poor' Boston team....never ever forever.
I am tired of hearing that bullshit as well. The Red Sox have one abysmal year and all the talk is "these fans have been through some hard times". Fuck you. Plenty of fans of other teams would love to have won two World Series in the past 10 years.

Cybsled

How can you hate this year's Sox team? They're pretty likable.

Anyways, Cards gifted that game with all the fuck ups they did on the field. I'm also glad they overruled that 2nd base umpire early in the game...I don't care what team you support, that was a dogshit call and even the other umpires knew it when they came in to discuss.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm also glad they overruled that 2nd base umpire early in the game...I don't care what team you support, that was a dogshit call and even the other umpires knew it when they came in to discuss.
That umpire should be banned from MLB. He was in a perfect position to see it, with no obstructions, and still fucked it up.

817148387.gif

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
heheheeee, it was over after 1st inning. 2nd inning just confirmed that there is something else on tv, better go find it

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So it looks an awful lot like Lester was using 'something' on the ball last night that was in his glove.

rrr_img_47634.png

Here is a Vine video that (to me) clearly shows him putting his fingers in said substance before a pitch:Dennis Paruch's post on Vine

I will say, whatever it is, I don't think it is Vaseline (the obvious answer). Wouldn't make sense in cold weather.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
that one was hilarious grimm..i've seen that tons of time though never in the world series.

glad the call @2nd got fixed- but remember most of the time the ump isn't looking at the glove- he is looking/focused on the FEET of the players he is Listening for the ball to hit the glove. ball hit the glove-foot on bag- check then the SS "botched on the switch after foot off bag"= out at 2nd. not realizing ball was hitting the Tip of the glove and never actually got caught by the SS. i cannot see any reason why pedroia wouldn't have been safe-even without replay. with replay, it is obvious -especially that angle above

as to the lester thing- ump never saw anything on the balls and he checks the balls every time he switches them, WE never see any substance on the balls, we never see substance on the glove- that yellow highlight is a post effect added to the image. i cannot see anything on the glove- i do see a white dot but what said white dot is. no idea especially since he has white seams on his glove from the videos from MLB...it could be as simple as a quirk that lester does every pitch-i've honestly never checked-noone ever complained about anything all game though.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
but remember most of the time the ump isn't looking at the glove- he is looking/focused on the FEET of the players he is Listening for the ball to hit the glove. ball hit the glove-foot on bag- check then the SS "botched on the switch after foot off bag"= out at 2nd. not realizing ball was hitting the Tip of the glove and never actually got caught by the SS. i cannot see any reason why pedroia wouldn't have been safe-even without replay. with replay, it is obvious -especially that angle above
The runner wasn't close to the bag.. so, using that as an excuse is pretty lame. The original angle on TV was almost directly behind the umpire. I was watching the game with 10 people and all 10 of us saw in real time that he never caught the ball. Trained professionals shouldn't get such obvious things wrong.

I think you're reaching on the Lester thing. Looks like he is just looking at his fingers to me.

Cybsled

The ump later admitted he was just looking at the feet and never saw what happened to the ball.

The Lester thing doesn't prove anything. Grip on a ball doesn't change the fact you still need to not pitch like shit. He was ace that game.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So it is okay for a player to use a banned substance because it wouldn't matter if he didn't have the requisite skill to perform well to begin with?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
As i heard on the radio.

everyone uses something. they don't complain -unless it is blatent- because if they complain, then they will have to make sure they are 100% clean as well

Cybsled

I can understand fucking with the ball physically (nail file or whatever), but drying/wetting a hand seems no different than pinetar on a bat handle to me.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You can get a ball to do some really funky stuff with all sorts of foreign substances. I don't see why you just assume it was for drying his hand, that is what the rosin bag is for.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I don't know if it's a banned substance, but there are clips that show him bringing his fingers to that location several times and him adjusting his cap without those two fingers touching it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I would say "any kind" makes it a banned substance.
Rule 8.02 -- Apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball.

Rule 8.02(b) -- Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically. In National Association Leagues, the automatic suspension shall be for 10 games.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Pitchers can use rosin bags to dry their hands and some of it gets on the ball. He's claiming it's rosin but I don't know why he would be allowed to have some type of gunk in his glove.