MLB 2014 Season Thread

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Chapman just got blasted in the face by a line drive. Carted off the field, game cancelled. Supposedly moving though at least.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, but those are all the best case scenarios for the Reds. If everything breaks right for them, sure, they could very well win the division. I just don't find it likely.
Pretty sure the Cardinals are going to win the division. It's a long season, but they've just got a better team than anyone else in the NL Central right now. Hopefully their absurd hitting with RISP cools off this year.

And the Chappy news sounds doesn't sound as bad as it did when I was saw it initially. Sounded like it was really bad, but now they're saying it's only an eye laceration. Hope he's OK.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The Cardinals are probably the best organization in baseball. Sucks for the Reds that they're stuck in the same division.

Sev_sl

shitlord
You guys are opening the season down the road from me in Sydney. When I say "you guys", I collectively mean "American baseball fans, specifically of LA Dodgers and Arizona".

I love baseball, always have - only met one other aussie who liked it. Fantastic game. Need more pitches at the body though, toughen you bastards up for the Australian sporting taste :p (refer - rugby and rugby league vs NFL)

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I heard those two games are a really hot ticket in Sydney. Something like 1.5 to 2.0 times higher than face value. Sev confirm?

Sev_sl

shitlord
Yeah, there's still seats in the outfield, but the best seats, you guys know the ones, are like gold. There's a big mark-up on seats behind home plate. They've sold over 70k seats for the 2 games, so it's getting close to a sellout. The Dodgers haven't made any friends over here, as I'm sure you guys are aware lol - which is cool, they are a massive team and Sydney isn't their market
smile.png
The Diamondbacks will have the crowd support. They've been brilliant in being accessible and marketing the event. Really looking forward to it
smile.png

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been a brutal spring training. Lot of Tommy John surgeries, looking at you Braves, and then you have this.

rrr_img_63159.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
And now the Reds have also lost Skip Schumaker for the first month of the season. Not a good start to the injuries for us.

Sev_sl

shitlord
Yeah, one of the stands, the one on middle left is the Members' Pavillion, built in 1886. The other on it's right is the MA Noble stand and was built in the 30's - it's a wonderful ground
smile.png

Sev_sl

shitlord
Actually,I think I have that about face - the middle right is the Member's and the left is the MA Noble Stand.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Looks like a fantastic place to watch a ball game. Very old school.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't know about keeping a player until they're 40. I was skeptical of the Votto contract when I first heard about it, but now with these other contracts, I am completely OK with paying him $22 mil/year until he's 37.

BASEBALL ON MONDAY!

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Tuesday here. It will be funny/sad when they won't sell out even with the Yankees in town. Here's to another long season.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Astros should be a bit better this season right? I mean, they'll still be terrible but they could maybe possibly finish better than the Mariners right? Minute Maid is such a nice ballpark too. I went to the Astrodome as a kid and thought it was the worst stadium experience ever. Place was silent. It was like cheering was frowned upon.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Astros should be a bit better this season right? I mean, they'll still be terrible but they could maybe possibly finish better than the Mariners right? Minute Maid is such a nice ballpark too. I went to the Astrodome as a kid and thought it was the worst stadium experience ever. Place was silent. It was like cheering was frowned upon.
Back in like 93 I think it was I saw a game in the Dome with Stros against the Padres. Tony Gwynn was up and I yelled go Tony! I heard my voice echo and about 500 people around me turned around and stared at me. I was sitting 11 rows behind the home dugout. Bad stadium + crappy home fans = shitty experience.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Maybe marginally better. They brought up 2 pitchers last year who did pretty well, considering the circumstances. They have 2 prospects at AAA who will likely come up near the trade deadline who should help (Jonathan Singleton and George Springer. Springer had a shitty spring, but I mean, it's spring training. JD Martinez had an amazing spring a few years ago and he is basically an afterthought now).

On the other hand, their #1 starter is a guy who has a career 4.62 ERA and 1.37 WHIP, they are going with a closer-by-committee, and their roster has 2, maybe 3 guys who could conceivably start for any other team. They just don't have much major league talent right now. I predict they will still finish in last place. I'm just praying for at least 63 wins. Granted, that's a 12 win improvement and there isn't really much difference between 100 losses and 99 losses, but still.

I will agree about Minute Maid. It's a great ballpark. One benefit to having a shitty team and a generally apathetic fanbase is that over half of the stadium is empty on any given game so you can basically sit wherever you want.