MLB 2014 Season Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Well, considering what the Angels outlay is currently, it probably was a "if you want to stay here this is what we can give you" type of offer. There is some financial security there for Trout to, as he either signs now or plays what, 2 years under arbitration eligible terms while risking career ending injury with no future financial security (other than what insurance he could take out on himself obviously).

I'm sure the Dodgers, Yankees and his agent were all screaming for him to wait, but the way rookie contracts work in MLB does lend itself to being advantageous for a player to take a home-town discount in exchange for financial security sooner in their careers.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Cause career ending injuries happen all the time in the MLB?? That shit makes sense in the NFL. If the guy had gone into free agency at the age of what, 26? He would have money rained upon him like nobody else in the history of baseball. Now he'll get a good contract, and people wont buy into him with the idea of up potential, only based on what results he has. I wouldn't be surprised if this deal ends up costing him hundreds of millions of dollars.

I mean congrats to the angels, its not often you see this happen to a player.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
What the hell are you talking about? Trout is making 24 million a year and hasn't even reached arbitration. He got the equivalent of a reasonable arbitration agreement and 33 million per year for his first three years in free agency which is probably slightly less than he would get if he were a free agent today. As much as some people think he's worth 50 million a year, I'd be surprised if his AAV ever exceeded 35 million.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Plus he gets to keep living in California and playing for a franchise that genuinely tries to win every year. He really seems to want to stay there, let's not shit on him too much for being a good reasonable dude.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Cause career ending injuries happen all the time in the MLB?? That shit makes sense in the NFL.
Even non-career ending injuries can seriously derail a career. Or you know, for some reason in the next two years he starts hitting like Pujols has recently, or MLB institutes a salary cap or otherwise craps the bed financially and stops with the full-retard contracts. I wouldn't blame a guy for betting on himself and riding it out all the way to free agency, especially if he only cared about money, not where he plays. But there are plenty of reasons for Trout to put pen to paper on that contract, as Supertouch pointed out is is still a damn good deal for him and to call it dumb for Trout is, well dumb.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
There is nothing stupid about Trout taking that contract. He isn't even arbitration eligible yet, and anything can happen.
To use the most recent feel good story as an example, i bet Grady Sizemore wishes he signed a contract like that back in 2009.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Can't wait to be disappointed by the Rays and Braves in the postseason yet again
I can't imagine how the Braves are going to limp into the postseason with this team. They are one more season-ending injury away from last place. Did they upgrade anywhere from last season?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
MLB's Flawed Replay System May Have Already Cost The Giants A Win - Business Insider

I am glad that MLB is (finally) dipping its toes into replay. Hopefully it is the first baby step in fundamentally changing the archaic methods in which this game is officiated. However, it didn't take long for a team to get screwed. At the same time, I don't think I agree with the articles conclusion that an umpire should be able to institute a review at any time, because you are just going to have the continued meaningless circus of managers running out and screaming at umpires, except now rather than huffing and puffing in what they KNOW is a fruitless endeavor (because what umpire has ever changed his mind because a manger was screaming at them) now they would be demanding a review for every close play once they run out of challenges if umpires had that power.

A "all close scoring plays are automatically reviewed" rule would have prevented this.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's the Giants fault for already using a challenge. It's no different than the NFL.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
There should just be an umpire monitoring slow-motion replay footage behind the scenes and relaying correct calls to the umpires on the field. The challenge system is stupid and counterintuitive. It really says something about the quality of professional umpires when a group of them couldn't even make the correct call on Cain's pickoff.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pirates still on pace to go 162-0. But I worry about how they'll hold up come playoff time since they're also on pace to play about 5,000 innings.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
its the pirates. They'll prolly go 81-0 and then finish the season -30-111.

Sterling

El Presidente
Pirates have had so much success recently that they're clearly due for a 20 or so year stint of losing again. Time for some teams like the Yankees that haven't won in awhile to get back into the mix.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pirates only on pace to win 121.5 games now=/ That savage blow is somewhat softened by 10 run ruling the Cards. 2 jacks for EL TORO!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
considering how bad the rangers pitching situation is, they look better than I expected this far into the season. If they can hang on till half way, they might have a chance of making a move.

Choo and fielder been meh so far, though they've pulled through when the game was on the line. Still early to start pooping on hitters though.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's never too early to realize Fielder isn't as good as you thought. I tried to say this but no one believed me.

I'm kidding.....kind of.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm loving the hell out of baseball this year. I'm a poor weather fan.
Hoover loves giving up those walk off grand slams.

At least Simon was dominant today. That bodes well for the bullpen when Latos comes back while waiting for Broxton to come back.