MLB 2014 Season Thread

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Astros post-mortem:

Well, 70 wins is better than 51, but still sucks. I can't complain about them getting two top 5 picks next year, though (assuming they can actually sign them). Obviously Altuve had a great year, and Dexter Fowler looked good when he was healthy. Springer was looking pretty decent before he got hurt. Chris Carter looked great after the all star break, but he still strikes out too much and doesn't get on base enough aside from walks and homeruns. Jonathan Singleton really needs to work in the off-season, though. He wound up hitting like, .168 or something with way too many strikeouts (which is an issue up and down their lineup). Keuchel and McHugh both look legit, but their bullpen aside from one or two arms is dogshit. Management says they plan on spending this off season, so we'll see how it turns out. Best case scenario would be going after someone like Scherzer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Areas to address: SS,3B,OF,C,back part of the rotation and bullpen (hopefully Correa recovers from his broken leg fairly well and Colin Moran shows improvement and can make a case for himself in spring training)

I just wonder how long it will be until Altuve's representation or he himself realizes how team-friendly his deal is and begin pressing for re-negotiations.
I'll take James Shields over Scherzer. CF & RF isnt too terrible, if Springer and Fowler are healthy and playing regularly.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bonds should have been out to pasture prior to his retirement?

In his final season, Bonds went 276/480/565 with an OPS+ of 169.

I do agree that Jeter and Ripken's careers were extended because of who they were, but Bonds career was shortened because of who he was (or what he did off the field).
Was about to post the same thing. And it was who he was, not what he did off the field. A lot of guys juiced and were allowed to come back. Nobody wanted the stigma of the era's scapegoat. He was the scapegoat because he was the best. If ManRam had broken the HR record it would have been him as the butt of all the jokes and nobody would have given him his last couple shots either.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Probably not very many folks hoping for another I-70 series between the Royals and Cardinals, but the last one was a blast if you were a KC fan.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
OH HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL

ROYALS!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fucking A's. Every fucking year its choke city come postseason time. What a horrific collapse.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
A's Moneyball just doesnt quite work for them! They are the KC Chiefs, they get to the play offs n just choke! (im a chiefs fan, i know the feeling)

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Wow, game hasn't even been over for an hour and people are trotting out the tired "Billy Beane's shit doesn't work in the playoffs" cliche.

A one game playoff is the crappiest of crap shoots. It's a coin flip.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I shut that game off in the top 8th inning last night since it was 7-3 and Lester was mowing em down. Dumb decision on my part. It's still a pretty amazing collapse by the A's considering where they were before the all-star break. Of course now you're going to get all sorts of 2nd guessing on the boston trade since many don't think Lester is sticking around. Collapsing down the stretch only to back into the playoffs (needed to actually win on the last day) and then blowing a lead multiple times in a do or die game. That's rough.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Play of the night
JoyousPortlyEland.gif

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't care much for either team. But the Giants fan base is way worse. Go Buccos.

I feel disgusting for saying that.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't matter the Dodgers will destroy all and then shoot their wives and fuck their dogs or something.