MLB 2014 Season Thread

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Royals shitty middle relief strikes again. If it's not herrera, davis or holland then you can count on 2+ runs per inning

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Rangers have won 10 of 11 and completely blown their shot at the #1 pick
frown.png

Tim Bogar should get the manager job though for that coaching - basically swept the Braves and Oakland (and nearly the Angels) with 80% AA and AAA players.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pirates won last night, 1 game back of the Cards with 3 to go for each. I'd very much like to believe they could take the division and avoid the fucking retarded 1 game Wild Card "playoff". But they'll have to win 2 more than the Cards over 3 games since the Cards won the season series, right?

Wild Card really needs to be 3 games.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pirates won last night, 1 game back of the Cards with 3 to go for each. I'd very much like to believe they could take the division and avoid the fucking retarded 1 game Wild Card "playoff". But they'll have to win 2 more than the Cards over 3 games since the Cards won the season series, right?

Wild Card really needs to be 3 games.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am a pretty big Yankees hater, being a life long Blue Jays fan it's hard to feel otherwise, but I have to admit, it was pretty cool to watch Jeter get a walk off hit in his last ever at bat at Yankee stadium. The guy played twenty years for the same team, and did it with class and without the off field distractions that are all too common these days. So for the first, and possibly last time in my life, I tip my cap to a first ballot hall of famer and a Yankee legend.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I also hate Yankees as much as just about anyone, but I was a little surprised that Jeter is the only Yankee with 3000 hits, with the amount of hall of famers in that franchise's history.

I guess there are only about ~30 guys in the 3000 hit club, and a few are from old franchises that don't exist anymore, and a few franchises have 2 guys in the club (Twins, Orioles, Red Sox, Pirates, etc), so I guess there should at least be a handful of clubs with no 3000-hit former players.

3,000 hit club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sterling

El Presidente
That just lists the club that the player was with when they hit their 3000th hit, not who they played the majority of their careers with. There's only 10 guys that have 3000 hits on 1 team.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, though Winfield is the only other one that really played significant time in NY I think. I thought Ricky was there for longer than 4-5 years but apparently not.

Paul Waner is listed for the Braves, but he did nearly 2,900 here(Pittsburgh) before leaving. Also I honestly had no idea that Honus Wagner played three years elsewhere before here.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Rustles my jimmies every time I see that list with Biggio on it and him not being in the Hall of Fame. Fuck the BBWAA.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup.

It will be fun also when Jeter doesn't get voted in unanimously despite being absolutely beloved for 20 years without a whiff of controversy in an era where nearly every big star was tainted. Any voter who refuses to vote forany1st ballot person should have their voting rights stripped.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I donno. I think there's a good argument to be made for not voting in Jeter on the first ballot. His being "beloved" has a lot to do with him playing for the Yankees, and while he was unquestionably a great hitter, he wasn't much of a defender for most of his career.

If you think that "first ballot Hall of Famer" means something special, anyway. I don't.

Sterling

El Presidente
Biggio not being in doesn't bother me nearly as much as Tim Raines not being in. That's a pure travesty.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I happen to agree with Olbermann on his rant about Jeter. It's as if the last fifteen years of his career were solidified by the first five. If those first five hadn't happened they way they did, he'd have been just a guy on some other team eventually and probably would have long since moved away from Shortstop.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of the 10 players with the most similar ranking to him only Robin Yount, Charlie Gehringer(played in the 20's) and Joe Morgan have a higher WAR. Morgan, Chuck G, and Molitor ahead of him in OPS+. Morgan and Chucky G in OBP. Those last three will be dragged down by his longevity too. He was an elite player for a longtime. Sure his fielding is wildly overrated by some people, but he is absolutely a Hall of Famer without any doubt. The only people that would leave him off are shitheels trying to send some stupid message or get publicity, the same type that kept guys like Nolan Ryan or Willie Mays from being unanimous. Some players are no brainers, a HoF vote isn't meant to be something for the voter to leverage for their own notoriety or retarded agenda.

He was also integral to 5 World Series winners. And if anything played better in the postseason.

And make no mistake, not voting for someone purely because "no one should get in 1st ballot" is flat out fucking retarded.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
He's a Hall of Famer, but there have been plenty of Hall of Famers who didn't have an obnoxious year-long farewell tour. Better players than Jeter, too.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
He's a Hall of Famer, but there have been plenty of Hall of Famers who didn't have an obnoxious year-long farewell tour. Better players than Jeter, too.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying he isn't a hall of famer or that he didn't have a great career. It's the entire season of crowning him as the greatest player of all time (when he wasn't even the best player on his team in most seasons) that is pissing people off. Olbermann has it right.