MLB 2014 Season Thread

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
HOF ballots should be revealed today. Assuming Randy Johnson/Smoltz/Pedro go in for the first timers, Piazza and Biggio (maybe Tim Raines) from the holdovers. I think I've given up on Bagwell getting in though, which sucks, but it is what it is. He didn't do himself any favors with his abysmal post season performance, but man, I wonder how his '94 season would have turned out if not for the strike (.368/.451/.750, 32 2B, 39 HR, 116 RBI, 147 hits through 110 games).

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
It is bullshit that Bagwell isn't (or wont get) in. According toBaseball-Reference, he is the 6th best 1b of all-time.

The "perception" of him using PED is based off the eyeball test, and not fact or evidence that he actually used. He is a fucking victim of the era that he played in. How come no one is talking aboutTim Raines admitted cocaine usageor the greenies used by the 1970's era players? Horse shit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They need to let the PED shit go. It happened, it's probably still happening, and we'll likely never know how extensive it was/is. It's just the reality of modern science/sports. 40-50 years ago it was cocaine instead of HGH. It also doesn't account for the fact that all of these supposed juicers would've easily been HOFers anyhow, even if they didn't use PEDs.

Profundis

It's just so dumb that there is an obvious disconnect between like, half of the voters. Half of them are the ancient old fucks still clinging to this pristine, "America's pastime" nonsense and playing the game the right way while the other half know the whole institution is fucked but they can't do anything to change it. It's not like one abstained ballot from Buster Olney is going to prevent asswipes like Murray Chass or Dan Shaugnessy from this eye test and purity of the game nonsense.

The fact that Randy Johnson won't be unanimously elected and that Maddux wasn't last year just shows how stupid the whole process is.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
They either need to let the PED crap go, or just state that no one who played the majority of their career from like 1990-2005 is eligible for the Hall of Fame. You can't pick and choose players for the hall on assumptions that they did or didn't do something that there's no proof of. Everyone assumes guys like Griffey and Randy Johnson are clean just because they weren't overly muscular. It might be right, but it's a stupid assumption to make.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I lived in Houston so I know I am biased. But I cannot let the Bagwell thing go. Fuck these writers. For the last four years the Hall of Fame in general has lost creditability to me each time a vote is announced.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I lived in Houston so I know I am biased. But I cannot let the Bagwell thing go. Fuck these writers. For the last four years the Hall of Fame in general has creditability to me each time a vote is announced.
They completely went off the rails when they didn't unanimously make Maddux a first-ballot. That's just pure fucking insanity. I absolutelyhatedthe guy as a Giants fan, but he's theonlypitcher to have 300+ wins, 3k+ strikeouts, and less than 1,000 walks. That's ridiculous.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Yep the process is fucked. The writers either take it too seriously or not serious enough. It's slanting more towards irrelevant to me every year. Kinda like baseball in general.

Profundis

I'm glad Biggio got in, but seriously, an 8% fucking jump in one year? His stats haven't changed, and the number of guys you could vote for increased by 2, not to mention the amount of absolute no shot in hell guys that got bumped off after getting no votes last year or are first timers this year (Rich Aurilia, Aaron Boone, Jason Schmidt, Tony Clark, Jermaine Dye...)

This kinda sums up why this process is bullshit (from MLB.com)

MARTY NOBLE, national reporter
Johnson, P. Martinez, Smoltz

For the second year in a row, no need to study the ballot existed. I voted for the three no-brainer candidates -- Johnson, Martinez and Smoltz. I never picked up a book or clicked on a website, though, as encouraged by the Hall, I did chat with guys who covered the game when I did. We had similar thoughts, and now I sense that The Unit and Pedro are definites and Smoltz is a likely. I think Biggio makes it this year, and I'll be happy for him. But he didn't get my support for reasons -- read suspicions -- stated last year. Same with Piazza and the others who have prompted greater suspicions, been caught or admitted using.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought for some reason this year the number of votes you could cast went up from 10 to 12.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Marty Noble is literally cancer. As in a conglomeration of actual cancer cells that breathe and talk . Fuck him. This is why the process is bullshit.

No Bagwell though. Yep caring less and less about baseball. It was my first love as a kid. Barely holding on anymore.

Profundis

Also, partially for my own edification, but here is a list of 2016 first time candidates who might actually have a snowball's chance in hell:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Jim Edmonds

and a whole bunch of Hall of Really Good (Troy Glaus, Mike Lowell, Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman, etc.)

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Also, partially for my own edification, but here is a list of 2016 first time candidates who might actually have a snowball's chance in hell:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Jim Edmonds

and a whole bunch of Hall of Really Good (Troy Glaus, Mike Lowell, Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman, etc.)
Suspicions! All of them! Roiders! Keep em up. That's right if some shitty writer can make those accusations via a non-vote so can I on an internet forum. Edmonds? Always bouncing back from those injuries. Obviously roided. Griffey? Yep went to Cincy and went off the juice. He's a user. Glaus missed all those games because roid related injuries. I think. I don't have proof but fuck I believe it. Hoffman wasn't dipping all those years. That shit was straight up HGH flavor mojo. He's out.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The Baseball HOF is a joke and as much as I think the BBWAA is full of a bunch of knuckleheads, it really is the HOF itself that is perpetuating a lot of the issues there are with the HOF.

What is really going to be dumb is when they 1st ballot the greatest closer of all time into the HOF while they simultaneously shut out the greatest DH of all time by using up all of his eligibility.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Ken Griffey Jr.
Jim Edmonds

Hoffman needs to be on the list with Griffey and Edmonds. The guy hadNINE40 save seasons, with two streaks of 4 consecutive. Only Rivera has more total and Rivera played a season longer and for a team that gave him a lot more opportunities for saves (Hoffman had 14 innings of postseason play versus Rivera's 141).