MLB 2014 Season Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Spring training's here, so it's time for a new thread.

Will the Rangers go 0-162 as Ian Kinsler hopes? Will that make the heads of our resident Rangers fans explode? Stay tuned!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Rangers will bounce back this year. They beefed up their offense enough to not lose so many 1-0 games.

I'm not expecting much out of my Red Legs. Pretty much the same roster but without Choo - one of the only offensive weapons we had last year. If Todd Frazier returns to form from his sophomore slump and if we can ever get reliable offense out of a catcher, I'll have higher hopes. Maybe we'll make postseason. However, as opening day approaches, I have to admit I'm excited for some baseball.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The butthurt is strong in Kinsler. I laughed when I read the ESPN article on his comment.

AL West will likely come down to Oakland and Texas again since Seattle still has some major holes, the Angels still have the same people (and problems) from last year, and Houston is in full rebuilding mode. Angels could surprise, their stars seriously underperformed and this is baseball we're talking about, but the last two years haven't inspired any confidence that they could turn it around.

Should be an interesting year.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, I'm expecting another last place finish for Houston. Hopefully it will be glorious when Appel and Springer and Singleton and their treasure hoard of draft picks finally arrive.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll improve by 8-10 games this year, but even then, hoping for a 60 win season sucks ass.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
M's started spring training 6-1. Obviously that means they are going 138-24. Cano best offseason move of all time.

Seriously though, I need to put my wager in on my families annual M's bet. Person who picks closest to their record never has to get their own beer (can make any other family member do it). I'm thinking 75... Duppin, I need your insight!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
They'll be around there, but it's too early to say for sure. If they could trade Franklin for a legit outfielder, it'd help a lot.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That is a fantastic annual bet. I might have to steal that for my A's crew.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I think Bovada has the Astros over/under win total at62-1/2 winsthis year. I think I would take the over on that... but not by much.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The AL West could be really interesting this year. For all of their flaws, even the Mariners could very well make a run at the division; there's some upside if some of their disappointing young players bounce back, and Cano is the sort of player that can carry the team for a while if he gets on a good streak.

That being said, I expect them to flame out as hard as possible and win like 70 games.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Rangers will bounce back this year. They beefed up their offense enough to not lose so many 1-0 games.

I'm not expecting much out of my Red Legs. Pretty much the same roster but without Choo - one of the only offensive weapons we had last year. If Todd Frazier returns to form from his sophomore slump and if we can ever get reliable offense out of a catcher, I'll have higher hopes. Maybe we'll make postseason. However, as opening day approaches, I have to admit I'm excited for some baseball.
Ian Kinsler says he wants them to go 0-162! lol

Anyways, Dodgers!!!!!

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now the Marlins know how the rest of the league feels like, when they come to town. Mind you this a spring training game, and not a regular season game.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/0...aining-lineup/

Edit: Sox owner rings in.

John W. Henry ? @John_W_Henry
Follow

They should apologize for their regular season lineup.
4:47 PM - 8 Mar 2014

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Atta boy, BP.

Word came out that he fucked up his wrist shortly after the All Star game which is why his hitting was pretty lackluster down the stretch. I hope that's true. Our starting rotation looks to be our strongest suit again.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Atta boy, BP.

Word came out that he fucked up his wrist shortly after the All Star game which is why his hitting was pretty lackluster down the stretch. I hope that's true. Our starting rotation looks to be our strongest suit again.
Reds had a pretty crappy offseason. I don't expect them to be much more than a .500 team this season.

Sorry to break it to you.
frown.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't think the Reds will amount to much success this year, but they are definitely more than a .500 team. I'd even say that another wild card game appearance is likely. Which they will probably lose in horrible fashion.

And using preseason as an indicator? Really? Because Votto is totally only going to have two ABs per game once the season starts. And our starters will only be pitching three innings.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I always ignore spring training. But the talent on the team currently isn't very good aside from Votto. Losing Choo is going to hurt them quite a bit, and they basically stood pat this offseason.

Add to that a reasonably good division, and I think a wild card is pretty unrealistic.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Jay Bruce is a very, very good player who gets better every year. I agree, we made some pretty underwhelming offseason moves, but we are definitely a homegrown kind of team. We don't sign big FAs typically. BP is the only regular offensive player we have that was acquired from a trade. And who knows how Billy Hamilton will be in replacing Choo? We also don't have shit ass Dusty Baker captaining the team anymore, though I don't know if Bryan Price will be much better.

And you're overlooking just how good the Reds rotation still is. Reds managed to win a whole lot off 2-1 games last year and I expect that to be the case this year. Cueto, Latos, Bailey is a very solid starting three. And then add in Cingrani who had plenty moments of badassery last season. The Pirates didn't do much in the offseason either. Except lose pitchers.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but those are all the best case scenarios for the Reds. If everything breaks right for them, sure, they could very well win the division. I just don't find it likely.

Anyway; pitch framing. How important do YOU think it is? Go!