MLB 2014 Season Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lot of talk here lately that the Pirates need to trade Avarez for a starting pitcher sooner rather than later. They need to keep Josh Harrison on the field, he's turning in to a really good player . Showed it tonight again. It makes sense. They called up Gregory Polanco recently to play right and they actually have one of the better outfields in the league with him, Cutch, and Marte all playing well. And Harrison is a better 3rd baseman than Pedro and he's hitting much better. If they can get some value for Pedro now would be a good time to do it.

I just have no idea who out there has a need for a huge swinging 3rd baseman and has a pitcher available that can really contribute right away. I just don't follow other teams like that. Not that prospects would be bad, butright nowthe pitching is really holding the team back. They're hitting better than they have in about 10 years.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Giants are in total freefall in June. We've now lost 10 of our last 12 and our 9 game division lead is now 2. The offense has disappeared (Pagan and Morse being injured certainly doesn't help that), starting pitching has been shaky as of late (Big Time Timmy Jim's no-no not withstanding), and so has the bullpen. Just an all around shitfest.
I'm loving it. Been at every Reds game so far this series in SF and I'm going tonight and tomorrow too. Reds SP has been boss so far. Leake and Cueto coming up big time. And Simon on the mound tonight - who has like, one loss on the road this season.

The NL Central is surprising me. The division looked like it was going to be pretty weak at the beginning of the season and now there are four teams over the .500 mark. Beyond the A's and Brewers, there haven't been any dominant teams so far. If this keeps up, the wild card chase in September is going to be awesome.

The Josh Harrison rundown was crazy. They played it on the big screen at AT&T last night.

Cueto's 2 ER over 8.1 IP last night actually RAISED his ERA. That's how good he's been this year.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lot of talk here lately that the Pirates need to trade Avarez for a starting pitcher sooner rather than later. They need to keep Josh Harrison on the field, he's turning in to a really good player . Showed it tonight again. It makes sense. They called up Gregory Polanco recently to play right and they actually have one of the better outfields in the league with him, Cutch, and Marte all playing well. And Harrison is a better 3rd baseman than Pedro and he's hitting much better. If they can get some value for Pedro now would be a good time to do it.

I just have no idea who out there has a need for a huge swinging 3rd baseman and has a pitcher available that can really contribute right away. I just don't follow other teams like that. Not that prospects would be bad, butright nowthe pitching is really holding the team back. They're hitting better than they have in about 10 years.
The Royals fit that bill perfectly. Our "Big hitting 3B" Mike Moustakas is batting about .170 on the season, we need a replacement badly. The Royals will probably trade James Shields, our #1 pitcher before this year is over, as we won't be able to re-sign him when he his free agency.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are going to put effort in to something like that at least get some Yankees info. Or some other team always making big deals.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey guys...guys...Pirates are the hottest team in the league.

Also I mentioned the starting pitching thing to someone at the bar who was a way bigger fan than me and got totally called out. It's the relievers that are shitting the bed. 14 fuckin' blown saves is atrocious. If they had even a slightly respectable number there they'd be right with the Brewers.

HeyForn_sl

shitlord
Hey guys...guys...Pirates are the hottest team in the league.

Also I mentioned the starting pitching thing to someone at the bar who was a way bigger fan than me and got totally called out. It's the relievers that are shitting the bed. 14 fuckin' blown saves is atrocious. If they had even a slightly respectable number there they'd be right with the Brewers.
We lead the league in OBP, which almost makes do a double take when I read that. To comment on your comments earlier about Pedro, I don't think you give up on him just yet. We have no "glaring" holes, but we know that the positions that could use help are 3rd, 1st and the bullpen.

Why not try and go after Tulowitzki? Move Pedro to 1st, Walker back over to third and Mercer to 2nd. I know he desperately wants out of Colorado and we have the prospects to make that kind of move. It's a pipe dream, but a good one nonetheless.

In the real world I bet we go out and get some middle relief, with Liriano coming back, you could either A) Trade Volquez while his value is at it's highest right now or B) Try and trade Liriano. You absolutely do not dick with Locke or Worley at this point in time.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm kinda glad to see J.D. Martinez doing well in Detroit, but man, it burns my ass that Houston, the worst team in the league the past 3 years, dropped him before the season started and their LF platoon of abject failure looks something like this:

Robbie Grossman: .155/.274/.259
L.J. Hoes: .187/.245/.297
Alex Pressly: .252/.291/.359

with a combined 33 RBI, 38 walks and 92 strikeouts. I get that he's helped by being in a much better top to bottom line up, but going from the Astros to the Tigers must have felt like winning the lottery.

On a semi-related note, following a sweet-ass run of going 5-17, Houston is back to the worst team in baseball. Hopefully that means another #1 pick since our most recent might need Tommy John surgery, the one before that has an ERA around 9 in Single-A, and the one before that broke the shit out of his leg a few weeks ago and is done for the year.

Fuck me, bring on football season already.

Taryk

Molten Core Raider
On a semi-related note, following a sweet-ass run of going 5-17, Houston is back to the worst team in baseball. Hopefully that means another #1 pick since our most recent might need Tommy John surgery, the one before that has an ERA around 9 in Single-A, and the one before that broke the shit out of his leg a few weeks ago and is done for the year.
It's only a matter of time before they pass the Rangers in the standings. Texas is definitely the worst team in baseball right now with all the injuries. Couldn't even imagine just how bad it'd be if Darvish and Beltre weren't doing what they're doing.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yep. And it's not so much the injuries to players like Profar and Fielder but the pitching that's killing them (though that certainly doesn't help). They started Phil Irwin last night and the only name of the five that they trotted out that I recognized was Neftali. They're giving up early leads and it's just extremely difficult to come back from a 6-run deficit.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I can't believe the two teams with the best records in baseball are in the AL West. Angels and A's just can't lose. It's obvious the A's are all in this year after the Samardzija trade. Glad he came out and shut down the Blue Jays in his first appearance on Sunday. While the Cubs are sending out three starters with a combined one major league game experience. They suck so hard and I love it.

Barab

I can't believe the two teams with the best records in baseball are in the AL West. Angels and A's just can't lose. It's obvious the A's are all in this year after the Samardzija trade. Glad he came out and shut down the Blue Jays in his first appearance on Sunday. While the Cubs are sending out three starters with a combined one major league game experience. They suck so hard and I love it.
Better enjoy it now because the amount of pure power bubbling to the top on the north side is going to drop a lot of panties over the next ten years. They may suck so hard now but for once in 105 years it's for a purpose.

Also game experience or not I wouldn't sleep on Hendriks getting his first start today.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm going to believe that when I see it. Cubs fans seem to say that to themselves every year. They already have Castro, pickup Russell from the A's, and don't they have another hot SS prospect? Why so many SS's?

Barab

I'm going to believe that when I see it. Cubs fans seem to say that to themselves every year. They already have Castro, pickup Russell from the A's, and don't they have another hot SS prospect? Why so many SS's?
Really ? Shortstop prospects with skills, which the Cubs are balls deep in, are worth their weight in gold. SS's that can hit can play anywhere other than catcher. The position typically is the most athletic and most adaptable to other positions.

Yount, chipper jones, arod, Sheffield , Cabrera , Jackie Robinson, Milke Schimdt are just a few studs that were SS's in the minors ending up at other positions.

All the things being equal you grab the best impact talent.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nice job avoiding the tag there, Billy. He's awesome.

billybunt_zps0adc310b.gif

Dandrools

Molten Core Raider
The Pirates went nearly a month without playing a team with a winning record, it's hardly surprising that they got "hot". They've since dropped 3 of 4 to the Cards and the first of the series to the Reds.

Meanwhile the Brewers are absolutely reeling. Having dropped 9 of the last 10, they started a 3 game home series against the Cards today. Despite jumping out to a 6-0 lead after 2 innings, they lost 7-6. The go ahead run scoring on a solo homer from Holliday off of the Brewers closer, K Rod. What was a 6 game lead over the Cards only a week ago is now down to 1, with the Reds hot on their heels. The NL Central is heating up, big time.

On a hilarious note, the team that was in consecutive World Series only a few years ago is now worse than the Astros. How on Earth the Rangers managed to go from being that good to that bad in such a short span of time is a mystery to me, mostly because I pay no attention to the American League, or the state of Texas.