MLB 2014 Season Thread

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
You are severely undervaluing club control and arbitration years. While Roark is not age 24 - 26, he is a late blooming pretty good pitcher. On many teams that are not stacked to the gills with pitching, he would be a #3 or #4 starter. With pitching ALWAYS at a premium, I stand by my assessment of getting a couple of b-grade and an a-grade prospect.This trade comes to mindof what I would equal his value to. I also find him to be better thanRoss Detwilerto give you scale..

Explain to me how "sit and wait" would diminish value?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
You are severely underestimating how much clubs value their prospects these days.

I also already explained to you how "sit and wait" could diminish value.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
No I don't. Roark is major league ready and proven, really cheap on the payroll, and has 4+ years of club control. Prospects are commodities, but are not proven commodities, and have a much bigger risk of being a failure compared to where.

No you didn't. I will assume you mean that you believe that the Natinals players could underachieve, thus lowering their value. That is assumption is decent, but in the grand scheme of long term planning to put forth a major league team, whoever the Natinals, decide to trade away, if at all, outside of outright catastrophic injury, will be of minor consequence and tarnish.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Scherzer saying in an interview that he was surprised and impressed at the National's commitment to winning and that he doesn't do it for the money is the most retarded thing to be said this off season.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Jesus, 8 mil a year for a hitter that averages about .240 while hitting 15-20 hr and 50-60RBI. MLB salaries are insane. Dude is average at best in his good years.
I read a deal about Bud Selig the other day and I think I remember it said when he took over average for the league was approximately 10x an average worker and now it's 100x.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Hard to believe he never played in a post season game.

Quotation-Ernie-Banks-play-day-Meetville-Quotes-161629.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Well that is special.

Meanwhile, in MLB, they are thinking about eliminating the shift to increase scoring because apparently left-handed hitters are too stubborn to learn to hit to the opposite field. Rule would simply be 3 defenders must be on each side of the pitcher.

rrr_img_88955.jpg

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they want increase scoring they should just do away with the center fielder.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Eliminating the shift is a terrible idea. This new commissioner is off to a fantastic start.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well that is special.

Meanwhile, in MLB, they are thinking about eliminating the shift to increase scoring because apparently left-handed hitters are too stubborn to learn to hit to the opposite field. Rule would simply be 3 defenders must be on each side of the pitcher.

rrr_img_88955.jpg
Really they need to bunt more with the shift on

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
yeah, just bunt down the 3rd baseline and that will solve the problem all on its own. Always take the free base. take an extra 10 min a day to learn to fucking bunt

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
James Shields reaches deal with San Diego Padres - ESPN

Sorry to see Big Game James go, he did a hell of a lot for the Royals the past couple years, but he's past his prime. He still wanted Ace money, and he's not an Ace anymore. He struggled a lot in the 2nd half of the season and the post-season. He'd be a heck of a 3rd or 4th pitcher in your rotation, but he wanted a LOT more money than that is worth.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
James Shields reaches deal with San Diego Padres - ESPN

Sorry to see Big Game James go, he did a hell of a lot for the Royals the past couple years, but he's past his prime. He still wanted Ace money, and he's not an Ace anymore. He struggled a lot in the 2nd half of the season and the post-season. He'd be a heck of a 3rd or 4th pitcher in your rotation, but he wanted a LOT more money than that is worth.
Just curious, how did he get the Big Game James nickname when he has a 5.46 postseason ERA?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just curious, how did he get the Big Game James nickname when he has a 5.46 postseason ERA?
I think it came after his first post-season with Tampa Bay. In 2008 he had a postseason ERA of 2.96 in 4 games, so that was pretty decent. After that though, yeah, he's been bad in the postseason. In 2010 with Tampa his era was 10.89 in 2 games, and this past year with the Royals he had an ERA of 6.12 in the post-season

Career 5.56 post-season ERA with a WHIP of 1.534. Not real good.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yep, definitely not worth the money paid. He wasn't even the best starter for the royals last year (or second best really).

Kinda excited to see how Duffy and Ventura do this year.