MLB 2017

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I like Houston because Altuve is badass, but a Dodger win would be glorious. For all the Giants fan tears.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Holy fuck. What a come back. Team of young guys just won't die. CC Sabathia with a massive night, old, broken and crafty.

Massive fucking win. Guess the future arrived soon. Time for the big bats out in Houston. Hope the starters are ready, those guys can rake.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Amazing comeback. This Yankee team is so different from what we are used to, it's almost like they don't know any better that they are not supposed to be this good yet. There's no history of 'being the favorite because you have the highest paid players' according to them. That Gardner at bat was epic. In my mind I didn't think there was any way they were going to win that game 3-2, they needed something out of that 9th inning, especially with Chapman sitting for so long. The error by Lindor was gravy.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Great game last night, I really had given up hope after game 2. Awesome to see them pull this off.

Since Jeter's retirement I have struggled to stay engaged, growing up in NY have been a Yankees fan since the 80s and was a huge Mattingly fan and Jeter filled that void perfectly for two decades, this team is starting to pique my interest not just because they are playing well but because there is some team personality to connect to.

• 1Picard

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That is such a Yankee fan post. They even said it on the broadcast last night. Some shit about it being a five year postseason drought which would be recent history for most teams but an eternity for Yankee fans. Sorry five years was too long to be shitty to keep your interest. Fuck you.

• 5Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
To be fair you root for Ohio teams in most sports Alex so your view of a long time and others is a bit different. A five year drought of post season play for most teams is a long time and can cause fans not to give a shit if they aren't super hardcore.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
That is such a Yankee fan post. They even said it on the broadcast last night. Some shit about it being a five year postseason drought which would be recent history for most teams but an eternity for Yankee fans. Sorry five years was too long to be shitty to keep your interest. Fuck you.

Five years? I'd say they have been shitty for almost the entirety of my being a fan outside of the 1996-2000 era. I understand that there are fans of teams out there that have gone entire lifetimes and it's not a comparison but I certainly never became a fan because of "winning". In my neighborhood you were either a Yankees fans or Mets fan and at the time in the 80s and it being Long Island Mets fans certainly out numbered the Yankees. I have always enjoyed baseball but the enjoyment of being a fan was being in tune with just about every player knowing their weakness and strengths watching them change as a player etc.

But you are certainly being edgy with the standard trashing on a Yankee fan.

Edit... and I didn't mention a lack of winning as being an issue. Player turnover is an issue, players that I watched for a very long time retiring changing the character of the team. I enjoy players who spend their careers with the same club and it feels rarer all the time.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Dude the Yankees won a World Series not even 10 years ago. Or does "good" only count when you win three WS in five years or some shit?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
In my "adult" life the Yankees have the disappointing 00's culminating in one World Series in '09 (which was a blast to watch), followed by the tedious stretch of 2011-2016. The reality is to engage casual fans you have to win and have some athletes that are worth following. I don't blame fans for returning to the team now that it is dramatically more exciting. I also don't disagree that expectations for the major sports teams are actually ridiculously stupid. Most of these fan bases are made up of extremely hardcore "cores". If you were a big time Yankees fan, you're going to slog through the shit, no matter how long it takes.

tl;dr
Major fan bases are definitely spoiled & winning along with having fresh superstars makes sports much more enjoyable.

Last edited: