MLB 2017

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah they have some talent, and I think Votto is criminally underrated by the "WAR" systems. WAR is still my favorite stat to use, but it has some major flaws, I believe, when valuing defense. Reds could really use some young arms. I have seen that Amir Garrett kid pitch for you guys, and although he has been tagged hard recently, I think he has some legit talent. Very athletic, dude just needs seasoning. Now that he isn't focusing on college basketball, he should progress.

I'm also super happy to see Severino just killing it for the Yanks. After his horrific sophomore campaign last year at SP with people writing him off forever as a starter, he has absolutely killed it. Dude just looks like a ballplayer, and has a great fastball and a wipe-out slider. The emergence of Montgomery as a legit #4 or #5 starter has been very nice as well. Chance Adams will probably get a shot at some big league games soon and he is now a Top 85-ish prospect overall. This Yankees bubble will come down a little, but a never expected this "rebuild" to be this fast. It's insane.

edit: What if This Is the Real Luis Severino? | Community – FanGraphs Baseball
Really nice & short, recent piece by a community member on FanGraphs with peripherals indicating Severino success is not a flash-in-the-pan.

Thank God dude brought the softball mitt lol
052517_mlb_bal_fan_giving_ball_med_0yffmame.gif

This Berrios kid is starting to get it going for the Twins at 22 years old. Dirty curve ball/slider.

052417_berrios_other_k_med_p5fgouss.gif

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So when the HDDs went down It got rid of my Harper vs. Strickland post.

Long story short: I am glad Harper went after Strickland. Strickland was just completely embarrassing in that whole situation. Dude blatantly throws at Harper simply because he was dominated in the postseason two years ago. I mean if you need any more confirmation as to how embarrassing it was just watch Posey & Bumgarner's reactions, they showed no part at all in defending him. Not to mention how fucking pathetic it was that he was fighting with Pence and others forever while they were trying to get him off the field. What a bitch.

The Mercury News in California:
Congratulations to Hunter Strickland for reminding us that the 2014 playoffs were about him and his own failures and not about the Giants winning their third World Series in five seasons.

You thought it was about the playoff charge and Madison Bumgarner’s epic postseason and the parade? No, it was about Strickland, silly!

Oh and man fuck, the Mike Trout news just sucks. 5-8 weeks with a torn ligament in his thumb. Dude was sitting at 3.6 fWAR compared to 2nd place Harper at 2.7. Dude was well on pace to having a historic season, in a Mantle-type fashion. Really unfortunate.

Also, has anyone fallen off harder than Pujols? My God. Angels should really look to completely part ways. Undoubtedly the worst contract ever. Jimmie Foxx 2.0.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Also, has anyone fallen off harder than Pujols? My God. Angels should really look to completely part ways. Undoubtedly the worst contract ever. Jimmie Foxx 2.0.
Hambone to Angels, Bobby Bonilla to Mets, Juan Gon would have been with the Tigers if the dumbass didnt turn them down, and CC Sabathia to Yankees.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Forgot how awful Hamilton to the Angels was. But man, 10 years for that money for Pujols, and he has given only two decent seasons. He is practically a detriment to the teams performance now.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Long story short: I am glad Harper went after Strickland. Strickland was just completely embarrassing in that whole situation. Dude blatantly throws at Harper simply because he was dominated in the postseason two years ago. I mean if you need any more confirmation as to how embarrassing it was just watch Posey & Bumgarner's reactions, they showed no part at all in defending him.

Well MadBum is recovering from his own dumb injury so of course he's not going to run out there to risk injuring himself further. As far as Posey's reaction, yeah. Some fans are like "Wtf I've lost respect for Buster not having his teammates back!" but i'm in the camp that doesn't want Buster to risk hurting himself for Strickland lol. If this had been a mandated throw from above I'm sure Buster would have jumped up to try to stop Harper. But it was clearly a solo operation by Strickland, and seems some of the team may not have been too happy with that. Now Posey could be the target today..

Muurloen

Forgot how awful Hamilton to the Angels was. But man, 10 years for that money for Pujols, and he has given only two decent seasons. He is practically a detriment to the teams performance now.
I'd rather see massive contracts given to players that are in their prime production years, not to players that are on the downhill. Hopefully the days or those kind of contracts to age 32+ are nearing the end. Then again the Nats did that crazy deal with Scherzer.

Max Scherzer rhp
7 years/$210M (2015-21)

• 7 years/$210M (2015-21)
    • signed by Washington as a free agent 1/21/15
    • $50M signing bonus
      • $5M in 2015 and $15M each in 2019, 2020, 2021
      • payments in equal semiannual installments, April-September
    • salaries: 15:$10M, 16-18:$15M annually. 19-21:$35M annually
    • 2019-21 salaries ($105M) deferred without interest, to be paid in seven $15M installments each July 1 from 2022 to 2028
    • deferrals reduce contract’s present-day value to $191,401,086 (by MLB calculation) or $191,409,858 (MLBPA calculation)
    • for purposes of annual payrolls (including salaries and a pro-rated 1/7 share of the signing bonus), Scherzer will earn $17,142,857 in 2015, $22,142,857 annually in 2016-18, $37,405,562 in 2019, $35,920,616 in 2020, and $34,503,480 in 2021 (salaries and bonus paid before the contract expires are not discounted, but 2019-21 salaries are discounted to $30,262,705, $28,777,759 and $27,360,623, respectively, as money paid after deal’s expiration)
    • for luxury-tax purposes, Scherzer’s annual salary is $28,689,376
    • award bonuses: $0.1M each for All Star, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger. $0.15M for LCS MVP. $0.25M for WS MVP. $0.5M each for MVP, Cy Young, with $0.25M for second place in either award vote, $0.15M for third, $0.1M for fourth, $75,000 for fifth.
    • perks: suite on road
    • deal does not include no-trade protection, though Scherzer will gain right to block any trade as 10-and-5 player after the 2019 season

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to think the Votto contract was ridiculous. Now I actually think he's worth the money.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I think the paying for "what you did in the past" days are coming to an end. Think that will also be ushered along with so many of these young superstars hitting Free Agency at really young ages: Harper, Machado etc

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That Pablo Sandavol contract is shaping up to be the worst in RedSox history. Saw that coming a mile away. Close runner up David Price.

Thanks Cherrington for the parting gifts.

Muurloen

Will Bryce Harper be worth the $500m+/10y the Yankees are going to pay him this offseason ?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Took a beer cruise to DC yesterday with an office group to see the Nats and Braves. By the 7th the Nats needed a pair of touchdowns. I can recall quite a few years when the bravos didn't score that many runs or hits in the entire playoffs - even the ones they won. Sweet revenge for the Braves, the Nats have wiped their asses with them all year.

The Nats failed at baseball in every way they could. Catcher to 1st pickoff attempt with a runner parked on 3rd - except the 1st basemen never got the memo. At least one run off of one of many wild pitches. The poor catcher kept getting bouncers to the crotch. And the worst (or most hilarious) sin of all, walking the opposing pitcher with two outs and the bases loaded, followed by 5 more runs in the inning. Ouch.

Funny thing is, going in I was thinking "god dammit, Freddie Freeman broke his wrist and Teheran is having his worst year ever"

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Our summer office party is next week and we've got a suite for a day A's game. I'm all about skipping a day of work for all you can eat and drink plus live baseball. But why did they have to choose an Astros game? It's not even going to be entertaining.

Muurloen

You get the opportunity to see a winning team on the field.

Be happy good ser.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've seen a lot of losing this season so far between the Giants, A's, and Reds. I don't know if I'll be able to handle it.