MLB 2022: Georgia Gets the Last Laugh

Who wins the 2022 World Series?

• Total voters

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Such a great season to end his career. I wonder what the Vegas odds were for him to hit 700 before the season started.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I know next to nothing about baseball... but I'm working on developing a crippling betting addiction so I got a bet going on and am now watching a game.

Are the guys on the field when the team is pitching also the same guys that bat?
Or are there separate responsibilities like in the NFL?

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I know next to nothing about baseball... but I'm working on developing a crippling betting addiction so I got a bet going on and am now watching a game.

Are the guys on the field when the team is pitching also the same guys that bat?
Or are there separate responsibilities like in the NFL?

Same guys

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Same guys
That is interesting, a baseball player needs to be very well rounded then.
Between hitting, running and throwing that's a lot of different skills.

On defense, are they always spread the same way or are there ever different ways they will spread across the field?
Maybe depending on whoever is with the bat?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
That is interesting, a baseball player needs to be very well rounded then.
Between hitting, running and throwing that's a lot of different skills.

On defense, are they always spread the same way or are there ever different ways they will spread across the field?
Maybe depending on whoever is with the bat?

The past few years teams have employed whats known as 'the shift' where they load one side of the field based on who's at bat and where they hit a majority of their balls in play. That said baseball is going to do away with that starting next year to help speed up the games.

Yes baseball players are well rounded. The "best" prospects are what's called 5 tool players. The 5 tools being: Speed, Throwing, Fielding, Hitting for Average, and Hitting for Power.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
The past few years teams have employed whats known as 'the shift' where they load one side of the field based on who's at bat and where they hit a majority of their balls in play. That said baseball is going to do away with that starting next year to help speed up the games.

Yes baseball players are well rounded. The "best" prospects are what's called 5 tool players. The 5 tools being: Speed, Throwing, Fielding, Hitting for Average, and Hitting for Power.
What is Fielding?
Ability to catch when on the field on defense?

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
What is Fielding?
Ability to catch when on the field on defense?
A plus defender, which encompasses the players defensive range, throwing arm strength & accuracy.

The metric used to track this is called defensive runs saved.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I see, thank you.
Since throwing was stated as a different skill I thought it might mean a specific positioning thing or some such.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I just saw a situation where the team had someone on 1st base and the batter got 4 balls so he walked and the guy on 1st base went to 2nd base.
When the batter gets to walk, does everyone walk one base further? Or only the ones necessary to accommodate the batter?

So in the scenario I saw, if there was someone on third base would it be a score? Or would the guy on 1st move to 2nd and the batter move to 1st and the guy on 3rd stays put?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Guy on third stays. Only move enough to accommodate the batter.

I feel like you might be better off with a YT video about baseball since you're a true newbie.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Guy on third stays. Only move enough to accommodate the batter.

I feel like you might be better off with a YT video about baseball since you're a true newbie.
That's true. I'll look further into it.
Thanks for the answers though!

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I for one think it would be far more entertaining for you to just watch games and people field your questions in this thread.
I'll say that Hollywood made it look like I'd be seeing homeruns all the time... and this is not living up to expectations.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I'm very confused at the action on the bases, sometimes I see people just touching and running and they are safe?
Is that only if they are not running in the direction of the next base?

I'm sorry DickTrickle DickTrickle

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit, Mariners really fell apart today. My buddy who is a big Seattle fan was over watching football today and was following the game on his phone. Not sure I recall a 90 loss team scoring 11 runs in one inning.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users