MLB Hot Stove 2020: Congratulations to the nations capital

Sterling

El Presidente
Seems like a massive overpay. Id be shocked if anyone was offering anywhere near that much. Cole is going to get ridiculous money now.
Yankees supposedly going big for Cole. He's younger and better than Strasburg so I'd bet it'll be like 8/300 or some wild shit.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Man, that Strasburg contract really shows how crazy this is gonna get. Joel Sherman is putting a $324mm /9 yrs contract as the over/under. Man, that is an absolutely massive contract. I was thinking $280mm for 8 years. Really want Cole in pinstripes, but man. 9 years for that is a bit scary. Then again, you're megalithic franchise, and this is just the reality now. It would be through his age 37 season, so it could be worse I guess.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Seems like the Angels & Yankees are the finalist for Cole. Sure sounds like he will sign very shortly, at latest it seems by the end of the Winter Meetings. So happy this off-season is moving along faster. Report: Yankees "Actively" Trying To Trade J.A. Happ read into it what you will, but it somewhat seems like a "If we can clear space, we will give you the deal you want" agreement. Cashman will have to attach a very solid prospect or two to move Happ, but that would clear $17 million (or the majority of it), which is a large sum of money.

Dodgers & Rangers seem to be the two heavy favorites for Rendon.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Baseball is pretty retarded. The Have's and the Have Not's gap is just going to widen and widen... as the interest in the sport continues to lessen and lessen. They should have implemented some sort max contract/salary cap years ago.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Baseball is pretty retarded. The Have's and the Have Not's gap is just going to widen and widen... as the interest in the sport continues to lessen and lessen. They should have implemented some sort max contract/salary cap years ago.

Why do you think the Astros allegedly stole signs? When they won the World Series their payroll was only $120 million. They couldn't compete with payrolls of that magnitude!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am not making the argument that amount of money spent = direct success. But it does give certain teams more options and advantages.

If you are running a competitive sports league, why would you actively choose and shape the rules to actively give some teams rampant advantage and others not?

I will say it again. Interest in the sport is dwindling and the rules in place will only expedite that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I will say it again. Interest in the sport is dwindling and the rules in place will only expedite that.

As opposed to basketball, where there is a salary cap and regional viewership is very poor? I don't know. Sure, the worry is a younger generation won't gravitate to baseball as much. But the doomsayer shit about baseball is overblown. NBA has survived for years being insanely top heavy, baseball will be fine.

Make these broke ass owners sell their shit teams, a la Cohen buying out the Wilpons.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is an entire generation coming that didn't play baseball, doesn't know the rules, and couldn't name you a team outside of the Yankees and Redsox. Ask them to say one word that best describes baseball and they will reply, "boring". Unless you are a boomer or live in one of the 30 cities with a team, baseball is irrelevant to 95% of the population.

Edit: Not to mention the sport hasn't had a recognizable or marketable star since... Jeter? A lot of the best players don't even speak English or are limited to the point they need to speak through an interpreter. Meanwhile, Manfred thinks gimmicks like Player Appreciation Weekend with the godawful jerseys and corny nicknames are going to turn it around.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
There is an entire generation coming that didn't play baseball, doesn't know the rules, and couldn't name you a team outside of the Yankees and Redsox. Ask them to say one word that best describes baseball and they will reply, "boring". Unless you are a boomer or live in one of the 30 cities with a team, baseball is irrelevant to 95% of the population.

Edit: Not to mention the sport hasn't had a recognizable or marketable star since... Jeter? A lot of the best players don't even speak English or are limited to the point they need to speak through an interpreter. Meanwhile, Manfred thinks gimmicks like Player Appreciation Weekend with the godawful jerseys and corny nicknames are going to turn it around.

I do not disagree with the lack of, and/or, shit marketing that has taken place over the last... forever (Selig was horrific at it on his last half, and at least Manfred is "trying"). But you're sorely underestimating how well baseball does regionally. Sure it doesn't have the top heavy nature of basketball, and the illusion of it's superstars making the sport seem way more popular than it really is. I mean shit, even with Luka in DFW, the Rangers are probably going to field a mediocre team and still smash the Mavs in local ratings. The normal person does not care much about the NBA, and for sure not during the regular season. Playoffs and it's highest level superstars will drive the money. They'll be fine. Baseball will stay strong regionally, and always make more than enough money. Constantly going to games with people more than a few times a year, that don't give a shit about baseball, because they just have such a presence in local sports/games are very accessible. The same people never would attempt to go to a Mavs game (which is sad).

Nothing is touching the NFL, until humans decide brain damage is no longer acceptable for their kids, but to act as if baseball is going to disappear in 20-30 years seems way too doomsayer-ish for me. These kids in love with top NBA stars and shit aren't buying tickets anyways, and they still prefer Fortnite to any of these athletes. Different times, way more routes for entertainment than ever before, so even if not the NFL level, MLB/NBA/NHL will make enough money to be more than enough of a presence.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
lol NHL is bottom tier of the four major sports. Soccer's gonna overtake that shit.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Is the NHL more popular than MLB?

The correct answer is:

Wait, where is that said? If I said that, I definitely didn't mean to. Or just a statement? But yeah, the NHL is way below. And even that low below, the NHL will still have it's place and many millions of dollars.

Last edited:

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Wait, where is that said? If I said that, I definitely didn't mean to.
My point is that if baseball is regional and if baseball is dieing, then you can also assume that hockey is dieing since it IS more of a regional sport than baseball.

Hockey isnt dieing, and neither is baseball.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Shit, even boxing is alive in this day and age. Baseball is fine if boxing is alive in any form.

Cole "fodder":

May be wishful thinking, but somewhat seems as if Cashman can clear Happ, there is some sort of "handshake" agreement in place. Then again, Arte could show up and pull a Josh Hamilton and give Cole $40mm per.

The famous "mystery teams".

Honestly doubt the Astros are really in on him, probably Boras adding a phantom bidder. Sure seems like it's the Yankess and Angels.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I'm hearing nothing locally here about Cole. All of the outlets here, including the 790 AM, the radio home of the Astros, have pretty much written him off as gone.

Now in light of the Scherzer and the Strasburg contract deferral of tons of cash... perhaps the Astros do the same thing to try to retain Cole.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Oh shit. This is interesting.
Angels just moved the #15 draft pick. That is a decent salary dope.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
My point is that if baseball is regional and if baseball is dieing, then you can also assume that hockey is dieing since it IS more of a regional sport than baseball.

Hockey isnt dieing, and neither is baseball.

Sorry, but "dying," broseph.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Happy.

Imagine Cole is also with that money, holy fuck.

edit: Very underwhelming after that, but Rangers clear space in their OF. Gallo to RF. Wonder if they got anything decent in return for him.

Last edited: