MLB Hot Stove 2020: Congratulations to the nations capital

Sterling

El Presidente
Owners are really fucking the dog with these halfass proposals. They're going to end up with like a 50 game full pro rata season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Owners are really fucking the dog with these halfass proposals. They're going to end up with like a 50 game full pro rata season.
That is what the owners want. They are trying to draw this thing out long enough so the season is as short as possible, because whether the season is 100 games or 50 games, they are getting $0.00 from the gate. More games only benefit the players wallets with more pro-rata dollars.

Sterling

El Presidente
That is what the owners want. They are trying to draw this thing out long enough so the season is as short as possible, because whether the season is 100 games or 50 games, they are getting $0.00 from the gate. More games only benefit the players wallets with more pro-rata dollars.
Sure. 50 games at 100 percent is roughly the same as 75 at 70 percent so that makes some sense, but a 50 game season just feels fucked. Would be pretty funny if Manfred went with like 70 games at full pro rata, but I doubt he'd go that far to the players side of things.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really questioning the owners thoughts right now. Scenario 1) Lose $50mm this year, and keep the revenue train going -- All teams will be well worth over $2 bn in a decade. 2) Not have baseball, lose money up front, and potentially lose out on $100s millions as fans decide to not watch baseball as much going forward.

I love baseball, I do. But baseball really can't afford to go a whole year especially after people are starting to figure out they can do other things to fulfill their time than watching sports 24/7.

• 2Like
I suspect the owners can't agree on shit, because different owners have different cash flow opportunities / liabilities moving forward. I think this mess is due to the fact, there is no solution that can make all the owners happy, and some of them are probably willing to torpedo anything. These folks all have pretty complicated financial lives.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I heard on the radio today on my way to lunch that there is something like 8 owners that are actively not wanting a season. They would rather collect an insurance policy, than pay out player salary, expenses for running the stadium, and of course rent for the stadium, and I am sure other expenses that arent specifically stated here.

Assuming that is true, that seems like it is the small market, or stingy ass owned, teams that would be pushing that. Hell even the DBacks owner has openly stated he wants a salary cap.

This also explains why there has been a massive change from the owner's side on how they offered the season to the players. It 1st started out low games w/100% proration. Now it is more games and a bigger haircut on the salary.

The owners are fucking this up.

I really don't think we are gonna get a season, and that is a damn fucking shame.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

I heard on the radio today on my way to lunch that there is something like 8 owners that are actively not wanting a season. They would rather collect an insurance policy, than pay out player salary, expenses for running the stadium, and of course rent for the stadium, and I am sure other expenses that arent specifically stated here.

Assuming that is true, that seems like it is the small market, or stingy ass owned, teams that would be pushing that. Hell even the DBacks owner has openly stated he wants a salary cap.

This also explains why there has been a massive change from the owner's side on how they offered the season to the players. It 1st started out low games w/100% proration. Now it is more games and a bigger haircut on the salary.

The owners are fucking this up.

I really don't think we are gonna get a season, and that is a damn fucking shame.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like there should be 6 MLB teams for sale then. Seriously. If you own a major American sports franchise and you do not want a season for any reason, then your team should be put on the market for sale.

There are so many ways to make money in this world and even more so for the uber wealthy. If having a major sports franchise is purely a business venture where you are weighing the pluses and minuses on the balance sheet, then you are in the wrong business. Manfred is a fucking pussy and the other owners are just as greedy and spineless.

Nobody under the age of 30 gives a fuck about baseball. They have no marketable stars. Half of the players have to be drawn from 3rd-world central american countries and they don't even speak English. Their games are 4 & half hours long. East Coasters can't even watch a full game before having to go to bed. There are no rules in place to support competitive balance and the small market teams are just a AAAA Teams that develop stars to be sold to the bigger markets. They are systematically killing the minor leagues in regions of the country where it is vital to the economy and their communities over the Summers.

It is simple. You don't want to play? Sell your team (for an insane profit) to an owner that is passionate about winning and bringing a winner to their town.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Muurloen

giphy.gif

• 2Like
Some owners, the numbers just do not add up. The money is in the post-season, from what I understand. And even with an expanded playoff system, some owners know they are basically gonna just pay through the nose for this current plan. Likely holding out for a shared pie of all post season revenues.

Confidence level that this season is going to happen?
45m7ll.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like there should be 6 MLB teams for sale then. Seriously. If you own a major American sports franchise and you do not want a season for any reason, then your team should be put on the market for sale.

There are so many ways to make money in this world and even more so for the uber wealthy. If having a major sports franchise is purely a business venture where you are weighing the pluses and minuses on the balance sheet, then you are in the wrong business. Manfred is a fucking pussy and the other owners are just as greedy and spineless.

Nobody under the age of 30 gives a fuck about baseball. They have no marketable stars. Half of the players have to be drawn from 3rd-world central american countries and they don't even speak English. Their games are 4 & half hours long. East Coasters can't even watch a full game before having to go to bed. There are no rules in place to support competitive balance and the small market teams are just a AAAA Teams that develop stars to be sold to the bigger markets. They are systematically killing the minor leagues in regions of the country where it is vital to the economy and their communities over the Summers.

It is simple. You don't want to play? Sell your team (for an insane profit) to an owner that is passionate about winning and bringing a winner to their town.

Yeah. Time has no mercy. When I was a young kid, the Best Summer Days in the Universe were days you could actually get enough kids together to play a decent game of baseball. Maybe only two outfielders, maybe no shortstop, no worries. Just make up rules to fit how many you got. That was Summer time, my friends.

I feel sorry to see baseball fade. I think it would be healthy and wise if we didn't let it! When you get into it, few sports can rival how fun it is to watch the team through a whole season. And nothing beats the matchup between a good batter and a good pitcher. But if you don't "get" the game, I can easily see how many find it pretty damn dull.

NYT:

"Major League Baseball announced Monday night that it would impose a 2020 schedule on the players after nearly three months of rancorous talks with the union ended without a negotiated settlement."

I do not see any problems with this. I'm sure everything will be fine now. Finally the owners get it. The entire MLB roster are raging submission and humiliation fiends.

I do hope they included the provision that the owners must walk out to the mound and piss on it during the national anthem. But I hope they left out the idea of ball girls tossing fistfulls of feces into the dugouts between innings. Scat's tacky, it brings in an unpleasant crowd, at least in my experience. YMMV of course.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Someone used the gender swap app on MLB players.

and well fellas

181D00E0-77E0-48F3-8F04-211E3062E339.jpeg

I think I’m in love with Codi Bellinger

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Sounds like we're getting a 60 game season starting late July with fully prorated contracts and a normal playoff system. Very curious to see how they do from a business perspective. I'm thinking not well at all but at the same time it might be a necessary expense to have a legit season in 2021.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just a reminder the ASSterisk's are scum.

Per Robe Lowe

Speaking of Clayton Kershaw, he’s the one who really got roasted. I mean that guy, you go and look at those Astro home games and he got lit up like it was batting practice, and it turns out it was that, batting practice.

@China Bat Soup I think the damage to the MLB brand from missing baseball would be much worse. They should have gotten their shit together and been playing since May or June when they would have the viewers all to their selves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Just a reminder the ASSterisk's are scum.

Per Robe Lowe

@China Bat Soup I think the damage to the MLB brand from missing baseball would be much worse. They should have gotten their shit together and been playing since May or June when they would have the viewers all to their selves.
🍽💩🏳️‍🌈

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users