MLB Hot Stove 2020: Congratulations to the nations capital

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Yankees have over 27 world championships. An astrik or two won’t phase them. Astros still have yet to win a legitimate WS.

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
MLB needs to stop being super faggots and do the 100% prorated. Blows my mind they are not, stupid fucking owners.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
MLB needs to stop being super faggots and do the 100% prorated. Blows my mind they are not, stupid fucking owners.
I don't think that's realistic since attendance will be way down and probably TV ratings down as well.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
TV should be fine but attendance will be way down and for some of these teams, Yankee's, Dodgers, etc that's a big hit to their income for those large salaries.

Sterling

El Presidente
TV ratings shouldn't matter in the short term except for the couple of team owners that actually own the networks. Attendance being limited or even 0 is a thing, but the the ~70 percent pro rata is pretty bad.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Why do you think TV ratings will be down? People are dying for sports.
A couple reasons:
- I don't think everyone is going to view this is as a legitimate season
- People are creatures of habit and their sport watching routines have been completely disrupted in the last few months
- Live sports are less compelling to watch without a packed crowd

Not a perfect comparison, but WWE has been running their show all through this thing without an audience and their ratings are completely in the shitter despite having no competition at all from real sports.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
A couple reasons:
- People are creatures of habit and their sport watching routines have been completely disrupted in the last few months

Not a perfect comparison, but WWE has been running their show all through this thing without an audience and their ratings are completely in the shitter despite having no competition at all from real sports.

Well, Raw and Smackdown are also pretty terrible overall. NXT and AEW ratings are mostly the same, hovering around 1.4 million combined between the two shows.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A couple reasons:

Turrrible reasons.

-The only people that are going to cry about legitimacy are the cry babies who's teams are shit. All teams start with a 0-0 record and they are all going after the same thing. The playing field is equal. May the best team win.
-We want to get back into our sports habits. Checking our phones for scores, adjusting our fantasy lineups, talking shit with our buddies, and basically being able to turn on the TV and having the option of watching something other than fear mongering, riots, and social issues.
-The UFC disagrees. The difference between your fake drama example and actual sports, is true competition. You have to opponents trying to beat each other. That is all that matters for actual sports fans.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Turrrible reasons.

-The only people that are going to cry about legitimacy are the cry babies who's teams are shit. All teams start with a 0-0 record and they are all going after the same thing. The playing field is equal. May the best team win.
-We want to get back into our sports habits. Checking our phones for scores, adjusting our fantasy lineups, talking shit with our buddies, and basically being about to turn on the TV and having the option of watching something other than fear mongering, riots, and social issues.
-The UFC disagrees. The difference between your fake drama example and actual sports, is true competition. You have to opponents trying to beat each other. That is all that matters for actual sports fans.
I mean, there's legitimate arguments you can make about the legitimacy of an impromptu 70 game MLB season. Organizations have built their teams around a long, gruelling 162 game season that calls for a deep roster to get past inevitable injuries and mental resilience to bounce back from the lows and slumps of the long season. Building a team around a 70 game season would look a bit different.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
As a Reds fan, I 100% want a season. Too many one year deals for guys we were hoping to contribute to a pennant this year.

Plus I went out on a boat this weekend and we went past the stadium which made me miss baseball so much more.

20200613_220015.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Have zero issues with a shortened season from a "legitimacy" stand point, surprised it's really even a focal point. People forget High School & College all have sub 50 game seasons, and they routinely find the best teams compete at the end. I would still issue MVP awards, all-star titles etc. It's still a season, and if anything I think it might be a super interesting season. On-field product should be even more competitive. Shit if anything, I wonder if it ends up being a better season from a competitiveness standpoint etc.

I need baseball. It doesn't feel like summer until baseball arrives. I routinely say, "My favorite sport is the one that is currently active" or "I like them all". A baseball-less April, May, and June has proved that wrong. Part of the world feels like it's missing without baseball being played.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Part of me wants them to skip a season just so we can she how that effects both really young teams va really old teams. Who will never play again and take early retirement. Will all the big stats leaders cycle over with no year of competition. Will amazing pictures lose their stuff? Will young players take over the league in 2021?

could be really interesting.