MMA Thread

Goatface

UFC Vegas 63

MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 7 p.m. ET)

Calvin Kattar (146) vs. Arnold Allen (145.5)
Max Griffin (170.5) vs. Tim Means (170.5)
Waldo Cortes-Acosta (260.5) vs. Jared Vanderaa (259)
Josh Fremd (185) vs. Tresean Gore (185.5)
Dustin Jacoby (204) vs. Khalil Rountree (205)

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 4 p.m. ET)

Roman Dolidze (186) vs. Phil Hawes (185.5)
Andrei Arlovski (241) vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima (261)
Joseph Holmes (185.5) vs. Junyong Park (185)
Steve Garcia (146) vs. Chase Hooper (145)
Cody Durden (126) vs. Carlos Mota (125.5)
Christian Rodriguez (136) vs. Joshua Weems (139.5)*

* Weems missed weight by 3.5 pounds. He was fined 30-percent of his fight purse.

===========================================================================
Anderson Silva cleared to fight Jake Paul
Silva takes on YouTube star Jake Paul in an eight-round professional bout Oct. 29
The fight was called off after Silva raised concerns when he said he was knocked out twice during his training camp. Silva made the comments during an interview was aired this week. Silva's representatives responded by claiming he misspoke due to English not being his first language.

The Arizona Boxing & MMA Commission called a special meeting Thursday and decided to allow the fight between Silva and Paul to go on. The commission did require Silva to undergo additional medical exams Wednesday.

1666988419659.png

Paul 186.5
Silva 186.1
===========================================================================

no idea what is going on with rumble, guess be on going for little over a year

Sadly, the Egyptian MMA manager didn’t have good news to bring Johnson’s fans. Instead, Abdelaziz asked the entire community to keep Johnson ‘in their prayers’ having evidently experienced a major setback in his recovery from illness.
“Rumble, he’s going through some health problems right now. It’s very sad,” Abdelaziz said. “I think, I want everybody to pray for him. Pray for Anthony. It’s not going well. He’s very strong, spiritually. But pray for him.”

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
no idea what is going on with rumble, guess be on going for little over a year
No clear diagnosis shared, but here's video of him getting bacterial buildup pumped out of his stomach. Yuck.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's lost about 100 lbs of quality weight. Since it's Bellator he has a chance to maybe get his physique back. If it was UFC under USADA it'd be permanent retirement, no chance to regain all that at his age.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Color me surprised. I know Anderson is 47 but I thought he would expose Paul's inexperience more. A lot of missed opportunities for both fighters but it was fairly entertaining.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
JP maintained power for 8 rounds. That's impressive considering the fight they had.

He's getting closer to fighting a boxing contender.

It's disappointing he ducked Vitor, but I get the reasons why. High risk and it'd be a highlight reel loss potentially. A loss to Vitor would end JP's career.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He is 6-0 with 4 kos against better opponents than most other 6-0 boxers in the world.

He is also his own promoter, made his own promotion company MVP, and his own sports betting company betr. Started out with TRILLER and now is doing PPVs with the premier programming partner in the space in SHOTIME.

Good for him. And im not sure about JP getting beat up by Silva? Jakes footwork is terrible and got caught up a few times, but overall Silva should have done MORE. He had so many opportunities to counter Jake, but couldnt pull the trigger unless he had him up against the ropes. He is fucking 47.

But Silva did fight pretty well. I never thought Jake would knock him out.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He slowed down after the broken nose but he still beat the shit out of JP.

JP stayed active weathered the storm. He proved what he needed to. He has to do some soul searching this week on whether he wants to be a fighter/boxer or not.

That was just a taste. He's going to be hit a lot more than that, and by KO power. See Vitor if he stops ducking him.

No doubt Showtime is already cringing at the mention of Nate Diaz. He needs to keep stepping up, not stepping back for spectacles.

If he gets past Vitor (olympic boxer) then I'd say JP is a certified boxer.

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The problem is Jake doesnt have any footwork, which is to be expected, as it takes longer for a novice fighter to develop footwork than it does hands. But he is also not reacting well to being hit. As soon as he gets pressure or gets hit he ducks his head down and tries to clinch. He is constantly taking his eyes off his opponent, making himself super vulnerable to uppercuts as he just ducks his head down to avoid punches. He has trouble moving around as well, considering he only moves in a straight line. He doesnt use angles and he doesnt step into his punches, everything is stationary and telegraphed.\

His only saving grace is his penchant for throwing 1,2s and stringing together short combos. His body work was impressive, and the knockdown came off of a 3 hit combo starting to the body. He has a long way to go, he needs to bring in some help for training. Im not sure who he is working with, but he needs to link up with someone who can coach him up and work on footwork and ring generalship.