MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I thought Islam would walk through Volk. I was absolutely wrong. I honestly don't know how to score it, but I think with how crazy the crowd is, it will 100% sway it to Volk.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I don't necessarily disagree with that decision technically, but the 10-point must system is bullshit for this reason.

Captain Suave

Volk looks like he just got back from a jog, not a 25 minute fight with a killer. (Cuts aside)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So glad Yair won, love that dude. I think Volk is going to destroy him though. Fix was in on Volk so he doesn't hold up the best division in MMA.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Unreal fight. Volk is tough af and his cardio is the best I’ve ever seen in ufc.

• 1Like

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
islam 3-2 ... just. if there was 1 more round or this was pride rules then things would have been different, but under these rules, it is what it is. main point is volk broke dagestani wresting. it's been invincible for 10 years and 50 fights through khabib and islam, and then volk breaking out from back mount then shit talking from that position took a piece of islams belief and, finally, is a blueprint to defeat the style. really nice striking from makhachev, he's never really needed it, but still, the spell is broken. one of the best fights of the generation.

islam will fight winner of mcgregor vs chandler, volk will smash yair, then the rematch should be epic. not since rome i think have we seen such a pinnacle of unarmed fighting exellence.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
islam 3-2 ... just. if there was 1 more round or this was pride rules then things would have been different, but under these rules, it is what it is. main point is volk broke dagestani wresting. it's been invincible for 10 years and 50 fights through khabib and islam, and then volk breaking out from back mount then shit talking from that position took a piece of islams belief and, finally, is a blueprint to defeat the style. really nice striking from makhachev, he's never really needed it, but still, the spell is broken. one of the best fights of the generation.

islam will fight winner of mcgregor vs chandler, volk will smash yair, then the rematch should be epic. not since rome i think have we seen such a pinnacle of unarmed fighting exellence.
lulz, volk broke khabib wrestling through force of will, that blueprint gonna be hard.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah will for sure, but the troll body is going to be hard to replicate as well. full size long arm torso, thick middle, short legs. perfect negation for what is the the best style proven after 30 years of MMA..

i've always been for will as well. when bobby knuckles got rocked by yoel, survived, instinct elbows, they say you should get a point for rocking someone, i reckon you should get 1.5 for surviving getting rocked then coming back. rocking people is easy. projecting will after a rocking, that is special.

and jimmy crute with the consolation prize. not good enough striking, not good enough grappling. pick a lane.

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
I wouldn't call it a blueprint more than just an exceptional individual effort. Not something you can likely replicate, and of course there will be adjustments on Islam's side as well. Fight was good shit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I still absolutely hate that "control time" a fighter does almost nothing with is still weighed so heavily. If that's going to be the case, if a fighter sits there and "defends" against it, how is that not given nearly the same weight?

• 1Like

Captain Suave

I wouldn't call it a blueprint more than just an exceptional individual effort.

I disagree. Volk was consistently utilizing clear technical movements to counter Islam's preferred takedown transitions - specifically that kind of flying butterfly hook to shield his leg from getting wrapped and sitting out with an off axis twist to get his hips out while falling. It was brilliant prep and should be usable by other fighters.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
About 19 seconds before the end of the fight, there was a shot of Islam looking up at the clock. Anyone got a screen grab of that? I need to taunt my friend that said Islam was gonna smash Volk in under 60 seconds.