MMA Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even if you're unconcious Paul Harris will still choke after the ref stops the fight.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I really want to like the guy, since it seems like he's had a tough life and is a humble dude outside the ring. You just can't do that shit, though. I don't care if you're trying to win, aren't paying attention, or are partly retarded. You just can't do that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
814119262.gif

Haha he sees the ref jump in and cranks it one more time. Good riddance.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
He breaks the hold as soon as the ref's head comes in contact with his right arm. I can not for the life of me see what the big deal is in a prize fight.

UFC should just ban leg locks.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He breaks the hold as soon as the ref's head comes in contact with his right arm. I can not for the life of me see what the big deal is in a prize fight.

UFC should just ban leg locks.
Sooo, it's ref head that matters? The rest of the ref diving in and trying to separate didn't count?

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Sooo, it's ref head that matters? The rest of the ref diving in and trying to separate didn't count?
Paul Harris breaks his hold as SOON as the ref is on top of him. The ref picked a bad angle and dove past Palhares and had to scramble to get on top. It's shitty luck for Pierce.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was shitty luck for the other 4-5 guys he's done it to I guess. Funny how many of his opponents have shitty luck when he gets leglocks on them.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You get the benefit of the doubt once or twice, not 5+ times. If it was an isolated incident you would have a good argument that it was just an unfortunate accident. But it's not in a vacuum, it's someone with a 6+ year history of holding/cranking submissions after the fight is over. Mike Pierce played the drum solo from Wipeout on his leg and it had no effect, the ref had to physically start prying him off before he reacted, and even when he first started to do that Paul cranked one last little bit before releasing.

Ramar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I could be wrong, but it looks like about half of the taps are on the ref's back (at least from that angle). Paul Harris was looking down when the ref jumped in to stop the fight, so if it wasn't for his history I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at least in this instance.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
In this instance, Palhares is not in the wrong.
Trying too hard to be this stupid.

Watch any other UFC fight where the opponent taps and you'll see the ref not having to headbutt someone to get them to stop.

Regardless, the UFC decided it was wrong.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In the gif I posted you can clearly see Palhares see the ref stop the fight and he holds onto it and even rolls with it. The guy is genetically built to get leglocks on people and has probably gotten tens of thousands of taps on leglocks. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This whole counter-argument is stupid. I train with high level grapplers and a few pro fighters. One guy has broken 10+ arms in fights, but because his opponents were morons and didn't tap when they were caught. Not one of them ever continues to apply pressure like this after the opponent has clearly submitted. Any grappler the caliber of Palhares knows goddamn well when the sub is a done deal. It's just not that fucking hard to let go, or at the very least stop actively cranking after the tap and just hold the position until the ref arrives.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Watch any other UFC fight where the opponent taps and you'll see the ref not having to headbutt someone to get them to stop.
Watch any other UFC fight and most guys don't break their hold/stop pounding until the referee pulls them off. When, in the leglock, is the first instance the ref is on top of Paul Harris?

Intestine_sl

shitlord
You can see the refs left hand slide down Paul Harris' chest/hand/arm as he is diving in to stop the fight. That is the first contact the ref makes with either fighter. There is no excuse.

ilikefoods

Peasant
Murilo Bustamante (his coach) and Toquinho have both been victims of people tapping then denying it and poor refereeing. The fact that Referees finish fights, not fighters, was hammered home to Toquinho when he fought Miller.

He held on to the submission for 1 second after the referee intervened. There is an issue with the rules, and the referees & judges having never fought or trained before, not the fighter.