MMA Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1 second is an eternity. He intentionally cranked that lock after he noticed the ref stopped the fight.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah, one second is forever, never mind that Pierce was tapping vigorously for a full second or two before the ref intervened. Human reaction time is about two tenths of a second, and probably less for a prime athlete. In this scenario, he could easily have seen the ref coming and been able to release instantly if he'd bothered to pay attention like everyone else everywhere does.

Have you ever grappled? No one with experience, except the willfully ignorant, thinks that Palhares' behavior was appropriate. While this may not have been the most egregious example in the history of humanity, it's like the dozenth time he's done it. Fucking enough already.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
New rule: As soon as a fighter starts tapping that fighter loses, but to make sure the winning fighter does not abuse the grapple the referee must kick him in the back of the head, knocking him unconscious. Two kicks if your name is Palhares.

ilikefoods

Peasant
Yeah, one second is forever, never mind that Pierce was tapping vigorously for a full second or two before the ref intervened. Human reaction time is about two tenths of a second, and probably less for a prime athlete. In this scenario, he could easily have seen the ref coming and been able to release instantly if he'd bothered to pay attention like everyone else everywhere does.

Have you ever grappled? No one with experience, except the willfully ignorant, thinks that Palhares' behavior was appropriate. While this may not have been the most egregious example in the history of humanity, it's like the dozenth time he's done it. Fucking enough already.
Yes I have grappled, I even spent 6 months training with Toquinho - he is a really nice guy and very humble and he had one hell of an upbringing. I was even there in Nottingham when that referee made the most retarded decision I have ever seen and restarted the match in the heel hook position in middle of the mat.

Go watch Bustamante vs Lindland, even the best referee in the business makes retarded decisions, every fighter knows you let go when the referee says let go. I have been there myself, I caught someone in a kimura, he screamed, I let go and he said he didn't tap. A minute later I caught him in an arm bar and this time he ended up in a sling and a trip to the hospital.

The biggest mistake Toquinho made is by cranking the leg lock. The hardest part of any joint lock is controlling the limb, once you control the limb (in this case, securing his knee with your knees and squeezing hard + gripping lower leg tightly between elbow and hip) you can apply pressure as slowly and easily as you want without any chance of escape. However, the temptation is always there to crank it, and it is one hell of a temptation especially when you have so much riding on that 1 fight

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Bottom line is that the UFC is supposed to be the home of the most elite fighters in the world and it's completely unacceptable that a professional would crank a leg like that. Doesn't matter if he's a nice fucking guy outside the octagon.

Captain Suave

So, Toquinho is a nice guy, you grappled in a tournament that didn't have the necessary "verbal submission" rules, and fights are high adrenaline. I don't see how any of this is relevant to cranking on a sub welll after both the opponent and referee have indicated that the competition is over.

ilikefoods

Peasant
So, Toquinho is a nice guy, you grappled in a tournament that didn't have the necessary "verbal submission" rules, and fights are high adrenaline. I don't see how any of this is relevant to cranking on a sub welll after both the opponent and referee have indicated that the competition is over.
1 second is well after the referee has indicated that it is over?

Wasn't grappling, it was MMA fight in a ring and it did have the verbal submission rules except the referee and my opponent were retarded and my opponent paid for his stupidity.

Him being a nice guy helps to establish that he wasn't doing it maliciously, everyone seems to think he is a retarded roided up muscle bound asshole that gets a great deal of pleasure from ripping peoples legs off 10 minutes after opponents tap and referees stop fights. I think it's a shame that he has been cut, given the poverty he grew up in and that fighting is his only way out.

cbtrn comments on SPOILERS - Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Pierce GIF - crosspost from r/MMA - What does r/BJJ think?

Captain Suave

1 second is well after the referee has indicated that it is over?
Yes. Especially for heel hooks. That is the point everyone is making.

Him being a nice guy helps to establish that he wasn't doing it maliciously, everyone seems to think he is a retarded roided up muscle bound asshole
Negligence isn't excusable at this level.

I think it's a shame that he has been cut, given the poverty he grew up in and that fighting is his only way out.
Maybe he should practice better sportsmanship, then.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't care if it's maliciousness or negligence, the guy had plenty of chances to stop cranking after the ref stops the fight.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yes I have grappled, I even spent 6 months training with Toquinho - he is a really nice guy and very humble and he had one hell of an upbringing. I was even there in Nottingham when that referee made the most retarded decision I have ever seen and restarted the match in the heel hook position in middle of the mat.

Go watch Bustamante vs Lindland, even the best referee in the business makes retarded decisions, every fighter knows you let go when the referee says let go. I have been there myself, I caught someone in a kimura, he screamed, I let go and he said he didn't tap. A minute later I caught him in an arm bar and this time he ended up in a sling and a trip to the hospital.

The biggest mistake Toquinho made is by cranking the leg lock. The hardest part of any joint lock is controlling the limb, once you control the limb (in this case, securing his knee with your knees and squeezing hard + gripping lower leg tightly between elbow and hip) you can apply pressure as slowly and easily as you want without any chance of escape. However, the temptation is always there to crank it, and it is one hell of a temptation especially when you have so much riding on that 1 fight
I couldn't help myself, when I was reading this my first thought was"Wait...did Mippo ever say he trained with Toquinho?"

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was in tonight's Bellator event. Watch how quickly Zayats releases the hold once the ref touches him.

Aaron+Rosa+vs.+Mikhail+Zayats.gif

He knows the sub is locked, he's just waiting for the ref to confirm. Not for the ref to start physically prying him off.

I mostly blame Paul's coaches for drilling this attitude in to him. Genuinely hope they get that shit fixed and he gets back in the UFC. Every first-hand account I've read of people that met/trained with him says he's the nicest and most sweet dude in the world. So I wish him well, but lack of malice doesn't make it OK to intentionally injure guys.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BTT coach: - Fighters Only

I don't really trust what a former camp says about one of their fighters but Murilo Bustamante's words carry a lot of weight. Anyway he says the guy hurts people in practice and was a problem.

The above pic from Grimmlokk is the normal example of how a submission expert releases a hold when the ref stops it. He knows it's in, he knows the guy is tapping, he knows the ref is there. He's just waiting for the ref to stop it and releases it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Full Bellator Gifs

edit: Watching InsideMMA, Paul's manager says they've been working on getting him to release the subs. Here's a different statement from the manager.

Rousimar Palhares 'perplexed' by release from UFC, according to manager - MMA Fighting

Davis said Palhares is "in his own world, his own place" when he fights. He often doesn't listen to his corner between rounds. Palhares told Davis after the fight that he honestly never felt Pierce tapping, that's how focused he was.

Davis, who said he will continue managing Palhares' MMA career, wants the 33-year-old to start working with a famous sports psychologist in Rio de Janeiro to figure out why he turns into a different person when he competes.

"First of all, we're going to figure out what the problem is. This kid is not a mean kid. Everyone who is with him loves him to pieces.

"We're going to try to figure out why this happens. Why does this kid do this [expletive]? Why doesn't he just stop?"
gif of Palhares not releasing a choke in training.

cl4T1hl.gif

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
This dude is fighting in a couple mins live on Spike TV hes fighting Tyrone Sprong, its Corbett's first fight in the US, support him, watch this stuff.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Its been pretty bad ass so far, worth a rewatch.

Sprong looked beastly in there, Corbett was behind the whole time even if it was a short fight.