MMA Thread

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Not a tap, even if it was the Ref ends the fight. Gonna take a minimum of 6-15 seconds to go out to that and another 30ish before it's gone on for to long. GSP would know better than to release in a belt fight, he'd wait until the ref pulled him off. Hendricks won, people are talking numbers and rounds, and all you need to do is look at how GSP was at the end of the fight compared to Hendricks, MMA isn't about the technical expertise of your maneuvers, it's about who beat who up. GSP got beat up, Hendricks didn't get beat up.

And I'm a GSP fan, and was rooting for him the whole fight.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait, people seriously think that was a tap? Like, not a joke? Jesus Christ. His hand wiggled for a half a second while straining in mid-air. You have to be some kind of special asshole to buy in to that shit.

There's no tap, no attempt to tap, no tap controversy. Go back to worrying about the moon landing or how Bush planned 9/11.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tarrant thinks it was a tap and that Hendricks would have won if he gassed out in the 2nd round!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Only thing that might be arguable is that if Hendricks gassed out he might've been able to get a KO or something I guess. This is based purely on the way GSP looks since I didn't actually watch the fight so yea.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Very interesting that Dana has praised the two judges who picked GSP, and selects them to go to other events. Doesn't really give him much of a leg to stand on and criticize them if he is giving them praise at the same time.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
In my opinion Hendricks' was NOT tapping his hand movement merely resembled the tap out motion, which is not uncommon in grappling/JJ, though I cannot recall many instances in the UFC of that happening.

Dana looked like a bored boyfriend as GSP kept talking about his personal issues. I also got the impression that Dana was trying to downplay GSP's weirdness after the fight by focusing on the decision drama instead of the bizarre shit his fighter was saying. Maybe GSP was concussed, combined with his self proclaimed emotional behaviour led to him acting derpy, but for obvious reasons Dana isn't even gonna mention the potential for brain injuries after a fight.

As for the scoring, that's the good ole 10 point MUST system at work once again completely failing MMA. Rogan talks about it roughly 1 minute into that video Fedor posted.

"A system of scoring whereby the winner of a round must receive ten points, and the loser of the round nine points (eights points, if knocked down; seven points, if knocked down more than once and thoroughly dominated by his opponent). If there is no clear winner, each boxer must be awarded ten points"

Applying that system to MMA doesn't work correctly because;

A.) there are no standing 8 counts so the exact meaning of a "knockdown" is treated differently sometimes
B.) say both fighters throw 10 shots each that all land, one guy does little damage the other gets smashed. technically both fighters may be awarded equal points because "there is no clear winner" , since 10 strikes = 10 strikes.

Judges have too much room for interpretation, leading to them having vastly different takes on the same fight even if they are honest. This system was not designed for MMA and needs to be tailored for the sport

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe GSP was concussed
There's no question here=P

One of the problems with the system is they *NEVER* give 10-10 rounds. If they used that option more we'd get fewer of these decisions. Probably get more draws so maybe they discourage it because of that.
===============================================

So watching Dunham get dominated by Cerrone made me think. A couple years ago we had this influx of young exciting guys that included him, MacDonald, Rick Story and Jake Ellenberger all showing up within a few months of each other. Looked like they were all going to be challenging for titles before long. No real point here, was just reminiscing about how all these guys showed up seemingly out of nowhere at the same time.

Was wondering where Hathaway has been, apparently he's got ulcerative colitis. Same thing that sidelines Lesnar. He already missed a year with this before and apparently it's back and took him out of a scheduled fight with Erick Silva earlier this year. That would have been an awesome fight.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Why even have rounds scale to 10 points if that's the case? They only EVER give 10/9 or 9/10. I've never heard of any other score.

With that being the case, why not just say "win/lose or "lose/win"? Then it could be like GSP 3 JH 2. Better than the scores they give now, being that that's how they judge an entire fight anyway.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
My questions would be:

1) Was Round 1 as close as some have claimed or was it clearly JH's round?
2) Did GSP's rounds 3 and 5 come close to JH's rounds 4 and 6, in an overall sense of decisiveness?
3) Would any commission consider something besides 10pt must? I guess maybe half points, but I'm assuming that a Pride system would never happen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One of the problems with the system is they *NEVER* give 10-10 rounds. If they used that option more we'd get fewer of these decisions. Probably get more draws so maybe they discourage it because of that.
Yeah if there was a relatively even distribution of 10-10, 10-9, 10-8 and 10-7 rounds you'd see much better decisions. It's hard to apply that evenly in MMA where as in boxing you can score knockdowns more precisely.

You'd also see more draws which can be dissatisfying (esp for title fights) but I wouldn't mind. If a fight is so close that it could go either way, it being a win for one fighter and a loss for another fighter is too extreme.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yeah I'm surprised the umpire didn't take away a touchdown because of the tentacle poke in the 4th minute of the 6 round.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10-8's happen on occasion.
Quarry/Starnes had a couple, even a 10-7.

"Quarry defeated Starnes via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-24). The third score marks the second-widest point margin in a three-round fight in UFC history, with the record belonging to a bout between Forrest Petz and Sammy Morgan, which was scored 30-23 Petz by one judge."

Also

tumblr_m67oysVdEE1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

2i2bh9g.gif

I figure we must have one or two users who didn't see this 5 years ago=P

Fedor

<Banned>
Just eliminate judges completely. Make every fight one 30 minute round. If it goes the distance then it's a draw and both fighters are fined 50% of their purse. Also add yellow cards for inactivity that also fine another 10% each. Allow stomps, kicks, and knees to the heads of downed opponents.

20130321220545-e55fd795.gif