MMA Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Gina Carano getting a title shot is probably the least deserving title shot I can remember. Zuffa doesn't even think she can beat a midlevel competitor to tune her up and build hype.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, totally forgot I am going to a BBQ today so I will miss the fights. Hopefully the download is up early.

The Gina thing, as everyone has already weighed in on, is an absolute joke. She is going to have 1 fight, get destroyed, and then retire again. I am sure she will get a fat paycheck for it, but how fucking stupid. At least throw her a can to get her back into fighting.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
When will Cat be ready to go? She's the only one in the UFC right now I'd care to see Ronda beat up, and she earned her shot a long ass time ago now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Missed prelims but the main card was good shit.

That said, McGregor did 2 things I did not like. Weigh in over-posturing and the glove touch kick at the start of the fight. C'mon man, don't make me not like someone I should love. Irish, exciting, finisher, funny guy....don't be a douchebag.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
When will Cat be ready to go? She's the only one in the UFC right now I'd care to see Ronda beat up, and she earned her shot a long ass time ago now.
She is fighting at UFC 178 on September 27th against Amanda Nunes.

Overall decent card. McGregor looked really sharp for having such a long layoff. I don't mind some trash talk, but I hope he doesn't get stupid and turn into Bisping 2.0. Especially since Bisping could only back it up 70% of the time.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trash talk all day. Don't act like a spaz trying to fight at the weigh ins and make Dana hold you back and don't throw a spin kick when you're coming out to touch gloves. That's not trash talk that's just being an asshole.

edit: Upon further reviewBrandao waved off the glove touch. So it was just Conor's goofy stance that made it look like a glove touch. And maybe Diego was fooled too even though he waved off the touch before.

MMA - Jiffier gifs through HTML5 Video Conversion.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I kind of feel like glove touching on main events is stupid anyway. Main events always start with the ref talk and they always have an opportunity to touch gloves. They don't need to do it again 3 seconds later.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I kind of feel like glove touching on main events is stupid anyway. Main events always start with the ref talk and they always have an opportunity to touch gloves. They don't need to do it again 3 seconds later.
Agreed. Shit, the ref even says "if you want to touch gloves do it now". I suppose they just do it out of habit.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They definitely don't practice gymnastics at Gus' gym.

T3gpSaw.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nothing like a fighter practicing flips for a whole camp, winning and then trying to flip when his legs are gassed.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damon Jackson, remember the name. Next small time champ the UFC is going to snatch up. He dismantled Leonard Garcia for the Legacy belt this weekend. Arm triangle with a leg trapped, it was really slick.

Leonard_Garcia___vs.___Damon_Jackson.gif

Love the knee to the body when he can't get the leg free.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I had that fight card on in the background as I was on my computer the other night, and I think that was the only fight I actually watched. Curious to see how that kid does once he gets some real competition. While it is nice to see how quickly he dismantled Leonard Garcia, well it was in fact just Leonard Garcia.

Huge card this weekend! I haven't been so pumped for a fight in a while, and Lawler vs Brown should be some good fireworks. We will get to see Rumble send Little Nog into retirement, and a few other notable fights as well. Both Guida vs Bermudez and Thomson vs Green should be really entertaining.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last few UFC events have been pretty awesome and it's hard to imagine that next card not keeping the streak alive. Even outside the Brown/Lawler fight there's lots of great action that should happen.

I had the same thoughts about Rumble vs. Lil Nog. He's not nearly as slow as his brother, but I still imagine it's going to feel like the Nelson/Big Nog fight. Where I'm just watching through my hands waiting for the inevitable KO shot.

As for Jackson, sure Garcia isn't a world beater but he'd been steamrolling the LFC guys since getting cut. He's probably a perfect test to see if someone is ready to enter the UFC.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Will Vitor Belfort be licensed to fight? - MMA Blog - ESPN

Interesting article on Vitor and his chances of getting licensed. I wasn't at all aware that the ratio didn't matter since he was on TRT, and that it is more about the nanograms per deciliter. So while he was definitely above normal range on there, he is using the TRT excuse for that. However, the doctor in the article says if he was being monitored properly he wouldn't have been over. To me that just reinforces the idea that Brazil isn't monitoring it for shit and he is probably abusing it pretty badly there.

The fact that Dana is even considering this for Brazil is pretty lame. Make Vitor come here and be heavily tested to make sure he is completely clean before heading into a title fight.

Edit: Oh, and Pettis vs. Melendez is now scheduled for UFC 181 on December 6th. Will be good to see Pettis back in the ring