MMA Thread

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's taught that way in a lot of traditional martial arts so she maybe picked it up there, or she just had bad striking form to begin with, the coach never picked up on it and she has developed a terrible habit.

Ya, not really. I started boxing at 13ish and I had to work on Jab, right cross (orthy) for about a year with foot movement before I was allowed my fist amateur fight.

I get what she is doing but a good coach would tell you how to fix that pronto. The snap comes at the end so she is trying to make that whip but is over extending and would probably break her wrist if she landed with that. Any straight punch should hit your target with knuckles horizontal or even less. Anything more and enjoy you tennis elbow :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Striking is not defined by just the striking, but in maintaining critical distance and timing. Anyone can put together a bunch of strikes, but not everyone can hit their target. Her timing was way off, and she made Nunes look like a genius. Her footwork was also superlative.

K. And her striking looked exactly the same as it always has. Her footwork, head movement, angles, and strikes all looked exactly as horrible as they always have.

She's a terrible striker and always has been. She didn't look any worse. She fought a better opponent than usual and did it with a dumber gameplan. You started by saying she looked "really off" with he striking. She looked bad, because her striking has always been bad. She was right on with her normal striking though, nothing was off about her striking game.

This is all pretty pedantic, I'm just arguing that her striking was never "on" enough for this performance to be considered off=P The terrible fighters she ran through before were so bad and so scared of her judo that she could hit them with an occasional terrible punch. Now the top women are only really bad instead of flat out terrible, and the enigma of Ronda is solved.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
She's a terrible striker and always has been. She didn't look any worse. She fought a better opponent than usual and did it with a dumber gameplan. You started by saying she looked "really off" with he striking. She looked bad, because her striking has always been bad. She was right on with her normal striking though, nothing was off about her striking game.

I didn't see her getting laid into like that in her other fights, other than with Holly.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't see her getting laid into like that in her other fights, other than with Holly.
Because up to this point none of the women were good enough to expose Ronda's terrible striking. The upper echelon of the women's division has officially passed her by.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because up to this point none of the women were good enough to expose Ronda's terrible striking. The upper echelon of the women's division has officially passed her by.

I might buy that argument partially. I did see the fight and saw Nunes slip in past her defense effortlessly. That shouldn't have happened so easily. The only time I ever saw anyone do that was against people that had less than six months' striking training.

We can agree that MMA has evolved and I don't know if Ronda is willing to evolve with it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I might buy that argument partially. I did see the fight and saw Nunes slip in past her defense effortlessly. That shouldn't have happened so easily. The only time I ever saw anyone do that was against people that had less than six months' striking training.

We can agree that MMA has evolved and I don't know if Ronda is willing to evolve with it.
Her coach is a 100% failure. Go read about him. There have been multiple fighters that come to his gym, do poorly and leave, only to improve shortly after they left. Hell, Travis Browne has never been a world beater, but he looks exceptionally worse since moving to that gym.

Ronda's striking was never great, which was clear even in her fights with Tate, but the girls around her were also amateur enough to not expose it. In steps Holm who exposes the shit out of Ronda, and Nunes comes in to put an exclamation point on it.

So yes you are right, it shouldn't have happened so easily, but she has a truly terrible coach who does not know how to properly train striking in anyway shape or form. I am not sure Ronda is not willing to evolve, I think her coach is incapable of helping her do it. Guy has no business being a coach.

Coach may have doomed Ronda Rousey's fight, career

Meanwhile, current UFC fighter Jake Ellenberger saw his career stall with a weak run littered with defeats under Tarverdyan, before switching to new tutelage recently. Another Tarverdyan fighter, Rousey’s boyfriend Travis Browne, has gone 2-4 in his last six fights, the only wins coming against the now-retired Brendan Schaub and Matt Mitrione, who is no longer with the UFC.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
We can agree that MMA has evolved
I agree with you up to this point.

Ronda was the queen of garbage and when superior female fighters came entered the cage, she was demolished both times. Think of her as the Houston Texans of Women's Bantamweight Divsion. Consecutive AFC South Division winners, but they are a division winner of the worst division in the NFL.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
She was more like the Babe Ruth of her time, smashing home runs/cans. Unlike him though, she stuck around to the point modern competition caught up and exposed her. She did have 12 straight wins and 6 consecutive title defenses. The UFC marketing machine has a vested interest in her legacy and therefore will be remembered as one of the all-time greats... lul.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ya, not really. I started boxing at 13ish and I had to work on Jab, right cross (orthy) for about a year with foot movement before I was allowed my fist amateur fight.

I get what she is doing but a good coach would tell you how to fix that pronto. The snap comes at the end so she is trying to make that whip but is over extending and would probably break her wrist if she landed with that. Any straight punch should hit your target with knuckles horizontal or even less. Anything more and enjoy you tennis elbow :)

I was wondering how she didn't get any elbow/wrist injuries even just sparring against a heavy bag. I know when I worked out with a heavy bag until I looked up proper form on YouTube I'd constantly strike wrong and get massive pains up my arm. You'd think this would happen to her in practice and she'd adjust. Possibly YouTube videos is a better coach than her current one.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yall smoking alot of dope about Nunes being some evolution of women's MMA. She struggled with both Zingano and Shevchenko. It's starting to sound like the same type of hyperbole surrounding Rousey a few years ago.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Don't get me wrong, Nunes is now the new queen of the garbage heap. She atleast represents a decent changing of the guard away from Miesha and R.Honda.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yall smoking alot of dope about Nunes being some evolution of women's MMA. She struggled with both Zingano and Shevchenko. It's starting to sound like the same type of hyperbole surrounding Rousey a few years ago.

I'm not sure anyone thinks Nunes is very good. I personally thought Shevchenko won their fight and thought Nunes looked pretty bad. All this fight with Ronda did was prove how utterly awful women's mma is.

ilikefoods

Peasant
Just been watching her training videos.
When she is doing pad work there is no footwork, there is little rotation of her body, hands are low, telegraphing her punches and she is being taught a whole bunch of useless combinations.
Speedbag:
Looked like she had only just learned how to use it, there was no variation in the punches, no pinning it, wasn't using it for training head movement, she wasn't even hitting it fast.

Double end bag:
Looked like her first time using it, was too tight - should have had it much looser to work on movement + timing. Looked sloppy hitting it , she was all over the place instead of keeping a good stance with hands up etc. The video I did see where it was loose she barely tapped the bag so it didn't move at all.

Heavy bag:
Same problems as before, ignoring the fundamentals, hands down, crap combinations, about 75% of the punches thrown were speed ones with 0 power.

Shadow boxing:
Looks like she is just throwing punches as fast as possible to look good for the cameras, and because there is nothing to hit she is over extending / over rotating. Isn't treating it like sparring with an imaginary opponent, haven't seen her throwing slow punches or working in front of mirror to analyze her technique.

She has no fundamentals - never been taught to punch properly, terrible footwork, telegraphs and doesn't keep her hands up. She was exposed by Holly Holm, had a year to fix those issues and come back stronger, and she didn't. At this point she is finished in MMA, which is a shame because she is only 29, she should be in her prime.

As for her being remembered as an all time great / hall of famer, she should be. How is she any different from the the one dimensional fighters of yesteryear? Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock and Mark Coleman

I think we need to keep in mind that Women's MMA is where Men's was 20 years ago, she has been the poster child and done a lot for MMA. It's just unfortunate and really shitty that she has been called the greatest female athlete of all time, that she could beat Mayweather, Cain Velasquez etc, presumably all to hype female MMA which is great for the sport but she bought in to the hype and it's now caused her to have a huge fall from grace.
Hopefully she is mentally strong enough to realise that her self worth isn't tied to her winning fights because it would be shitty if she spiralled into depression / suicide.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Never seen a dude go for a Firemans carry, and KO his opponent

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Never seen a dude go for a Firemans carry, and KO his opponent

A fireman's carry has the inside arm between the legs. That's a japanese whizzer. Beautifully done regardless, and the KO demonstrates why you shouldn't resist that technique by stiffening up.