MMA Thread

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
Honestly I would be really surprised if GSP stays at MW and fights Whittaker. I know it's in his contract to defend the belt or w/e but it wouldn't surprise me if UFC decided to change it, have Whittaker / Rockhold fight for the unified belt and GSP go down to WW to fight Woodley. Those ppv #'s aren't bad, it shows GSP is still a draw and no way they want to feed GSP to a killer like Whittaker and ruin everything. I would bet anything if GSP beat Woodley you would definitely see a GSP vs Conor for the WW title. It's another "challenge" for Conor to move up and be the first to get a belt in 3 different weight classes + what would would now be the 2 biggest draws in UFC fighting.

The only issue is, is the timeframe. At some point Conor is going to have to fight big Ferg (or anybody really) and obviously GSP would still have to fight Woodley. So there is a lot of variables in there and things could not play out the way the UFC would like them to. But if the stars align and McG beats Ferguson, GSP beats Woodley, I can guarantee you that's what will end up happening.

edit: Also stuff like this coming up this morning which makes me believe GSP isn't going to stay at MW

Coach: St-Pierre’s Move To Middleweight A Total Disaster

edit #2: Also I think with GSP gassing like he did had a lot to do with ring rust tbh not necessarily weight. No doubt GSP was really nervous and amped up going into this fight but was hiding it pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if he had an adrenaline dump at some point. Regardless I was impressed when he dropped Bisping. This a guy who doesn't drop anyone with punches and Bisping is a pretty tough dude, so looks like that training with Roach and having him in the corner helped. Really just want to see him back at WW and see how he fares there. I could see him taking out Woodley honestly.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen
Honestly I would be really surprised if GSP stays at MW and fights Whittaker. I know it's in his contract to defend the belt or w/e but it wouldn't surprise me if UFC decided to change it, have Whittaker / Rockhold fight for the unified belt and GSP go down to WW to fight Woodley. Those ppv #'s aren't bad, it shows GSP is still a draw and no way they want to feed GSP to a killer like Whittaker and ruin everything. I would bet anything if GSP beat Woodley you would definitely see a GSP vs Conor for the WW title. It's another "challenge" for Conor to move up and be the first to get a belt in 3 different weight classes + what would would now be the 2 biggest draws in UFC fighting.

The only issue is, is the timeframe. At some point Conor is going to have to fight big Ferg (or anybody really) and obviously GSP would still have to fight Woodley. So there is a lot of variables in there and things could not play out the way the UFC would like them to. But if the stars align and McG beats Ferguson, GSP beats Woodley, I can guarantee you that's what will end up happening.

edit: Also stuff like this coming up this morning which makes me believe GSP isn't going to stay at MW

Coach: St-Pierre’s Move To Middleweight A Total Disaster

edit #2: Also I think with GSP gassing like he did had a lot to do with ring rust tbh not necessarily weight. No doubt GSP was really nervous and amped up going into this fight but was hiding it pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if he had an adrenaline dump at some point. Regardless I was impressed when he dropped Bisping. This a guy who doesn't drop anyone with punches and Bisping is a pretty tough dude, so looks like that training with Roach and having him in the corner helped. Really just want to see him back at WW and see how he fares there. I could see him taking out Woodley honestly.

There was a video of GSP chugging water and laughing about lying to Bisping about what his post-weigh in weight was. I think he even said "I'm fucking small, man" when looking at the scale

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I think we have already seen that Conor simply isn't big enough to compete with those guys at 170. There is no way he takes that belt.

Goatface

think this will certainly be interesting
Bellator 2018 heavyweight title tourney
Fedor Emelianenko
Frank Mir
Matt Mitrione
Roy Nelson
Ryan Bader
Quinton Jackson
Muhammed Lawal
Chael Sonnen
Draws will be announced later

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
There was a video of GSP chugging water and laughing about lying to Bisping about what his post-weigh in weight was. I think he even said "I'm fucking small, man" when looking at the scale

Plenty of this crap always comes out after fights. GSP looked sloppy big in that fight.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's all about what Conor shows in his next two fights. If he has a solid ground game and takedown defense, he's got a chance against GSP. GSP has a clear skill advantage but after another year plus of getting old, Conor just needs to stay on his feet long enough to land the right shot. Can GSP out-chess him out use some MMA skill or will Conor clock him?

GSP cutting down to 155 and old leaves him vulnerable. Conor should welcome the challenge and the mega payday - he either beats the best MMA dude ever (cue the "old, etc." excuses) or he gets the another storyline to sell as he hits 30.

Still comes down to what Conor does in the meantime.

GSP would obliterate Mcgregor at any weight. Especially if hoping for a lucky shot is Mcgregor's only strategy

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
GSP would obliterate Mcgregor at any weight. Especially if hoping for a lucky shot is Mcgregor's only strategy

I don't know about that. Assuming they fought at 170: I would put the fight in GSPs favor, but it wouldn't be a given. Conor surprises every single opponent he fights with how good he is, and i don't think GSP would be any different.

Moreover, GSP looked pretty bad in his win over Bisping. If he shows up like that, Conor could drop him- Conor has the power to drop just about anyone at 170 in one solid shot, and his speed and accuracy are scary.

Assuming GSP got back to old form, I think he could overwhelm Conor with his physicality and his wrestling. But then Conor has only been getting better in his takedown defense.

I've always liked Conor, but, despite that, I have never really given the guy the respect he deserves as a fighter until recently. I think a lot of people are the same, and that's because Conor makes it look easy. But I've come to appreciate the fact thar Conor is a 100% legitimate fighter.

GSP will probably always be my favorite fighter, but getting in the ring with Conor at 170 might end up being his swan song.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't know about that. Assuming they fought at 170: I would put the fight in GSPs favor, but it wouldn't be a given. Conor surprises every single opponent he fights with how good he is, and i don't think GSP would be any different.

Moreover, GSP looked pretty bad in his win over Bisping. If he shows up like that, Conor could drop him- Conor has the power to drop just about anyone at 170 in one solid shot, and his speed and accuracy are scary.

Assuming GSP got back to old form, I think he could overwhelm Conor with his physicality and his wrestling. But then Conor has only been getting better in his takedown defense.

I've always liked Conor, but, despite that, I have never really given the guy the respect he deserves as a fighter until recently. I think a lot of people are the same, and that's because Conor makes it look easy. But I've come to appreciate the fact thar Conor is a 100% legitimate fighter.

GSP will probably always be my favorite fighter, but getting in the ring with Conor at 170 might end up being his swan song.

You think GSP looked bad in his win over Bisping? And that McGregor, who's about even with Nate Diaz at 170, would be too much for him?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You think GSP looked bad in his win over Bisping? And that McGregor, who's about even with Nate Diaz at 170, would be too much for him?

Yeah he for sure looked bad compared to old GSP. He lacked explosiveness and stamina. He gassed early and won against a mediocre opponent in sloppy fashion.

That said, I think that a lot of that was his 'weight experiment.' He would be way more comfortable fighting at the next weight class down. Also, Mcgregor is definitely not a natural 170 fighter. He has the standup but not the size to control grappling stuff.

Again, if GSP gets back to old form, he should be able to overwhelm Mcgregor. But unless he has the conditioning to be physical and explosive from the getgo, Mcgregor has a good chance at picking him apart in the striking game.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know, the whole fight i was ready to say "Ok, GSP is back." Never happened. He won, and he is still as savvy and as competent as a fighter as he always was (maybe more), but physically he looked old, slow, and not in condition. Hate saying it because i love the guy, but truth is truth.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
WTF is this talk about Conor at 170. We have seen him fight twice at that weight, and neither time did he look spectacular.

In the first fight he looked great for about 1 1/2 rounds, and then gassed and got wrecked. In the second fight he looked great for the first couple rounds, faded hard, and then managed to hang on for the win. He has no business being at 170, and discussing it is silly.

Fighters like Woodley, Lawler, and GSP would stomp on him.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You know, the whole fight i was ready to say "Ok, GSP is back." Never happened. He won, and he is still as savvy and as competent as a fighter as he always was (maybe more), but physically he looked old, slow, and not in condition. Hate saying it because i love the guy, but truth is truth.

Supposedly he was feeling pretty sick and almost called off the fight. Even without that, it's not surprising he was slower and winded easier at his larger size. He shouldn't have any of those issues going down to 170, though.

He also looked to dominate that fight outside the short period when he was noticeably more gassed than Bisping.

Mcgregor's also known for getting gassed during longer fights and I just don't see him ending GSP early without a lot of luck.

Of course MMA is really unpredictable and people go from top of the world to jobber overnight, so who really knows.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know, the whole fight i was ready to say "Ok, GSP is back."

Except that he just choked out Bisping in under 3 rounds after a 4 year layoff.

Guess he needs to shoot lightning out his ass to please you.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Supposedly he was feeling pretty sick and almost called off the fight. Even without that, it's not surprising he was slower and winded easier at his larger size. He shouldn't have any of those issues going down to 170, though.

He also looked to dominate that fight outside the short period when he was noticeably more gassed than Bisping.

Mcgregor's also known for getting gassed during longer fights and I just don't see him ending GSP early without a lot of luck.

Of course MMA is really unpredictable and people go from top of the world to jobber overnight, so who really knows.

If he can make 155 with a healthy physique he will wax Conor at 155 or 170. Either one.

I like Conor and appreciate his talent-- but Conor has nothing for him. RD 3-5 finish for GSP without even breathing heavy. I could just as easily see a RD 1-2 knockout victory for GSP at 170, 155 is a tossup.

Conor likely has genetic gas tank problems that aren't able to be resolved. If you think he can beat GSP at 155, I can see why. If you think Conor stands any chance at 170+ you are smoking crack.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Except that he just choked out Bisping in under 3 rounds after a 4 year layoff.

Guess he needs to shoot lightning out his ass to please you.

Yeah, i mean i guess if Bisbing is your metric for mma excellence, then he did an amazing job.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users