MMA Thread

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I miss the ring more than anything.

The rhythm is completely different than the cage and ugly by comparison. Even the wrestling is a little more ugly in the cage, albeit in Pride you could wear wrestling shoes for hardcore grip.

The ring is just a better space for fighters to showcase their martial arts talent. Run back all these UFC Machida, Shogun, Cropcop fights in the ring. Watch the performance change.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I miss the ring more than anything.

The rhythm is completely different than the cage and ugly by comparison. Even the wrestling is a little more ugly in the cage, albeit in Pride you could wear wrestling shoes for hardcore grip.

The ring is just a better space for fighters to showcase their martial arts talent. Run back all these UFC Machida, Shogun, Cropcop fights in the ring. Watch the performance change.

The tempo of this match is just unreal for Heavyweights. Both of them are two of the greatest Heavyweights of all time and Fedor was just waiting in the wings. Sadly we never got to see him against Josh.

I will be surprised if we see a grappling clinic like these two put on at the Heavyweight level ever. It was just so nuts to see Josh almost submit him too. It was unheard of at the time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
I miss these days...

Josh vs Big Nog was such an amazing ground war! It is still one of the best heavyweight fights ever. It was just non-stop grappling.

I think the reason why i used to love MMA so much (during Pride days) was that the meta-game was being discovered. UFC 1 when Royce trashes everyone with BJJ and you realize Karate on its own is garbage. It was all about finding the most efficient fighting style. Then, Fedor came and raped the BJJ guy (Antonio) with a no-nonsense ground and pound approach. Also you had these freak shows (Bob sapp vs mirko) to make you realize big muscles and size don't necessarily correlate well with fighting ability.

Goatface

SHOWTIME Sports: Mayweather vs McGregor sold 4.3 million PPVs in North America

Showtime also revealed that “the total global revenue from the event including ticket sales, sponsorship and international distribution exceeds $600 million”

Back in September 2017, Sky Sports revealed that the contest did over 1 million buys and broke the U.K. PPV record which was previously held by Anthony Joshua vs Wladmir Klitschko.

----
UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo Totally Flops In The Pay-Per-View Buys Department

early estimates for the pay-per-view sales of UFC 218 have come in at around 230,000.

not seen anyone else report that yet, so grain of salt etc...

---
estimate 218 payouts
Alistair Overeem: $860,000 ($850,000 to show, $10,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Max Holloway: $440,000 ($400,000 to show, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Jose Aldo: $230,000 ($200,000 to show, $30,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Eddie Alvarez: $155,000 ($100,000 to show, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $5,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Justin Gaethje: $155,000 ($100,000 to show, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $5,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Yancy Medeiros: $120,000 ($30,000 to show, $30,000 win bonus, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $10,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Henry Cejudo: $95,000 ($55,000 to show, $35,000 win bonus, $5,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Francis Ngannou: $90,000 ($40,000 to show, $40,000 win bonus, $10,000 Reebok sponsorship)
Alex Oliveira: $87,000 ($32,000 to show, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $5,000 Reebok sponsorship)

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
The UFC has somewhat gotten better about fighter pay. But really who the fucks cares. It's just as bad at the bottom of boxing cards. You either suck and make shit or you excel and make more than shit. I don't really get it. You are willingly putting your health on the line and know know what you will be paid. Do something else if you are a mediocre motherfucker.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I see why Pacman is trying to to get a piece of that early 2018 now.

Strike while the iron is hot Conor. Fuck U FIght Cheap.

• 1Worf

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Francis Ngannou definitely fought cheap. He made 12% of what Overeem made even with his win bonus. I hope he gets paid decent the next fight against Stipe.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Francis Ngannou definitely fought cheap. He made 12% of what Overeem made even with his win bonus. I hope he gets paid decent the next fight against Stipe.
Overreem is a hw vet with one of the longest resumes while ngannou was out on the street homeless.

Even stipe as champ made less beating overrem

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Overreem is a hw vet with one of the longest resumes while ngannou was out on the street homeless.

Even stipe as champ made less beating overrem
I think you're missing the point. I'm wasn't saying Overeem is too expensive. I'm saying UFC got a hell of a deal on Ngannou. But yes, Overeem is too expensive. He's an 8-5 never champ at UFC.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Dos Anjos looked sharp as fuck. Woodley needs to heal asap. Lawler toughest dude ever, but got battered

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users