MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre said Wednesday he's uncertain whether he'll fight again at 185 pounds to defend his title.

"We'll talk about it, but I'm not sure if I compete I will go back at 185," St-Pierre said to TSN. "I don't think so."

St-Pierre is expected to be sidelined for the foreseeable future due to a bout of colitis, and the UFC is reportedly moving on with the division, with interim champion Robert Whittaker in talks to fight Luke Rockhold at UFC 221.
Good. Let him move back to 170 if he fights again.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ronda Rousey's move to WWE appears to be imminent

Two people close to Rousey told USA TODAY Sports that she is finalizing details of her move to WWE. The people requested anonymity because the switch has not been announced.

zWCDbiZ.jpg

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stipe Miocic will defend the belt against Francis Ngannou in the main event of UFC 220 on Jan. 20 in Boston, sources confirmed with MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani on Wednesday. MMAjunkie was the first to report the news.

Waiting for the DC title defense to be added to that card before I sign off on the trek up to Boston, but Stipe - Ngannou is a strong motivator.

I haven't checked the status of Volkan's legal situation or how the UFC is proceeding with it. If Volkan is out, then DC is out I'm sure.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

multiple places reporting Pacquaio wants to fight Conor in April, Conor hasn't replied to talks yet.

don't know how well it would do. Pac certainly wouldn't bring the hype like Floyd
still would probably mean $15+m for Conor

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
multiple places reporting Pacquaio wants to fight Conor in April, Conor hasn't replied to talks yet.

don't know how well it would do. Pac certainly wouldn't bring the hype like Floyd
still would probably mean $15+m for Conor

Conor was the clear "B" side in that Floyd fight.

Even if Conor-Pac does half of his Mayweather fight he could make more money. Guaranteed $40M with 50% split would be enticing and bigger than anything the UFC will do in the Octagon.

#1 issue is Dana White is his boss as Conor has a UFC exclusive. How much of a cut did they take from his Mayweather fight - 10 percent, 25 percent? The easiest way for Dana to assert dominance is to tell Conor he can box whenever but UFC gets 40% of his money. For Conor that means the big money fights will still offer more than the UFC and Dana White gets to roll in the cash for the hard work of watching his biggest star dance around outside his promotion.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Zuffa Boxing seemed to be taking a larger cut than the UFC based on the brokering of the fight through Zuffa Boxing LLC, but nobody will ever know who the partners were for sure. Lorenzo was heavily involved in making that fight happen. So, my impression was Dana White fucked the UFC on that deal. Dana has business interests outside of the UFC now with the birth of Zuffa Boxing LLC which was likely a co-promoter of the Floyd-Mac Promotions card.

Dana's allegiance is no longer 100% to the UFC.

Guaranteed 40M is out of the question on a Pacman fight. His Floyd guaranteed money was only 20M-25M if I'm remembering correctly before backend.

I'd say Pacman is a guaranteed 10M. More than the UFC is willing to put up right now for his next defense.

Paulie is a better matchup but doesn't have the name value needed to sell a freakshow.

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Isn't Zuffa Boxing under the the UFC overlords?

My impression is Dana White is growing many tentacles from the same body.

Except Dana White Contender Series is not UFC? But it uses UFC facilities.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well the fact its called Zuffa (italian for fight) to me says its a Fertitta company.

Also the first Conor-Floyd meeting was held in Lorenzo's office. I'd guess Zuffa Boxing is another Fertitta company with Lorenzo as the principal and Dana as a potential silent partner (until its time to not be silent anymore as his UFC deal expires next year, and Dana may not be resigned)

I don't think Dana has a non-compete clause on boxing promotion. There is nothing stopping him from revealing his position in Zuffa Boxing aside from optics and pissing the UFC off. If he can milk another UFC deal while continuing to silently promote boxing cards with Zuffa Boxing, he will. Dana does whats best for Dana.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
God damn that is a nasty knee

I missed all the fights last night as well. Sounds like Ortega was getting beat up on the feet and then found out Cub didn't like being strangled. Dude seems pretty legit

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Looking forward to Stipe Ngannou. Real test for Ngannou to see if he can handle an effective jab from Stipe.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I miss these days...

Josh vs Big Nog was such an amazing ground war! It is still one of the best heavyweight fights ever. It was just non-stop grappling.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user