MMA Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Serious question here. Are female fighters more likely to develop CTE than male fighters due to taking tons of light shots instead of fewer heavy shots? My general understanding of CTE from football is that it's not the heavy shots that cause CTE, but the tons of light impacts that players are blase about because they're wearing helmets. Or are they still too low on overall volume of blows to the head compared to a boxer or football player to be at serious risk for CTE in the first place?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Serious question here. Are female fighters more likely to develop CTE than male fighters due to taking tons of light shots instead of fewer heavy shots? My general understanding of CTE from football is that it's not the heavy shots that cause CTE, but the tons of light impacts that players are blase about because they're wearing helmets. Or are they still too low on overall volume of blows to the head compared to a boxer or football player to be at serious risk for CTE in the first place?
Probably b/c even soccer players show CTE from headbutting the ball.

best test would be to check up on Holly in 10 years.

10year boxing champ and survived 5 rounds of cybro.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I only watched the Machida fight with half interest, but I am not really sure how he won. Especially the judge that had it 49-46.

And then I remembered it was in Brazil, in his hometown no less. Duh

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I had the Machida fight 47-48 and there were a few iffy rounds - split decision was good, 49-46 was home cooking. I thought Anders won, but he didn't do enough convincing. Good fight by Machida, Anders should learn tons from this. Five rounds in Brazil against a legend and probably collected a nice pay day too.

Priscilla was completely mauled. She had a hole in her game that was exploited to perfection. After that fight we didn't learn anything about either fighter. Poor girl shouldn't have been in the cage. I don't blame the ref and I don't think any one person gets the blame – did her coaches not teach her ground defense?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Alright I guess I need to see this. That's Dana's *insert Steve Mazzagatti's name here* rant.

Wasn't he also trashing Big John at one point and shadow banned him from the UFC/Nevada events for working with Bellator... Forgive me if I'm skeptical of those claims when he has trashed every referee in the sport, save for Big Dan Miragliotta, (probably because he would beat his fucking ass as his last act. You don't fuck with Jersey.)

If Dana had his way we wouldn't have any refs.
You realize Dana has no say in anything related to referees, ever, right? They are assigned by the commissions.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You realize Dana has no say in anything related to referees, ever, right? They are assigned by the commissions.

NSAC just deselected John on their own suddenly from UFC events I guess.

He doesn't call shots but his boy Lorenzo is former NSAC commissioner and likely was involved in the big John ban.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I'll just take what you said at face value. My recall is probably from an early report from bloodyelbow or some rumor click bait and it stuck. Someone ran a story on big Johns disappeance and didn't mention that part.

Goatface

from the couple of stories i read...
2007 he retired, worked for Affliction and Strikeforce for 11 months
got re-certified to ref in late 2008, but wasn't put back into the pool
he says it was because of a beef with heads of commissions
over all the stuff he had being saying on podcasts/news
they said they already had enough refs
he didn't get another ufc gig until 2010

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
from the couple of stories i read...
2007 he retired, worked for Affliction and Strikeforce for 11 months
got re-certified to ref in late 2008, but wasn't put back into the pool
he says it was because of a beef with heads of commissions
over all the stuff he had being saying on podcasts/news
they said they already had enough refs
he didn't get another ufc gig until 2010

OK so I am not completely crazy. I felt there was a period where he was reffing CSAC events in California but Nevada was fucking with him on UFC events saying they had enough qualified people to ref UFC events in response to journalists asking why the "Best in the business" wasn't reffing UFC in Vegas anymore.

Its going back a ways there-- not surprised all our of recalls were a little off about this one. Appreciate the refresher.

Last edited:

Goatface

apparently chael broke his clavicle and out for 8 weeks
his next fight isn't till summer, so should be able to make it

=

Priscila Cachoeira tore her meniscus and ACL in the beginning of the first round
probably won't fight again till 2019

=
in the don't think it really matters news...
"appears Travis Browne has retired/cut from the UFC. His name is no longer on any of the ranking pages for any of the rankers"

=
Nate Diaz is looking to fight at ufc 222.......

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Haven't seen any news about Browne retiring. Some people were saying he should retire after his last loss, that being his fourth straight. He needs to get rid of coach Edmond. He couldn't have been ranked very high before the Oleynik fight. Maybe Tim Johnson passed in when moving into the top 15. He just posted "Get yourself a copy of #EAUFC3 today" a couple of days ago on Twitter. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haven't seen any news about Browne retiring. Some people were saying he should retire after his last loss, that being his fourth straight. He needs to get rid of coach Edmond. He couldn't have been ranked very high before the Oleynik fight. Maybe Tim Johnson passed in when moving into the top 15. He just posted "Get yourself a copy of #EAUFC3 today" a couple of days ago on Twitter. Wouldn't surprise me either way.
he should retire and play the heel of abusive husband towards Rousey when she has her first match in the WWE, remember you can't give these ppl difficult storylines, just something they're familiar with.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
he should retire and play the heel of abusive husband towards Rousey when she has her first match in the WWE, remember you can't give these ppl difficult storylines, just something they're familiar with.

You need to be at least somewhat athletic to be in the WWE. Subtle nuance between MMA HW division...

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Ariel says Edgar vs. Ortega is all but done. But he also says the UFC is looking for a title fight to save the PPV. They really don't want to make the card a Fight Night card, but really that's what looks like when you look at the rest of the shit on the card. I'd be cool with Edgar vs. Ortega for a fight night card. Hell a Middle Heavyweight division is what they are missing, imo. Make a division and a belt, for that if they absolutely have to keep it a PPV. I damn sure ain't paying anything to watch what they have so far though.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Middle heavyweight would be Stipe vs DC. Both those guys would run over everyone else in the division.