MMA Thread

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Well, I can stop you right there. Jon Jones, love him or hate him wasn't even really considered being a great wrestler collegiatelly (however it's spelled) or anything. Yet he manhandles a guy that was an Olympic wrestler in Cormier. A guy that has done the same against much larger competition (Josh Barnett). These guys totally need to evolve themselves. Granted Cormier has some pretty good stand up and he has won several fights that way, but at the end of the day when a guy comes along in any weight division like Jon Jones, what you gonna do? WHAT YOU GONNA DO?!? You must evolve in this game for guys like that. If you've been wrestling all your adult life, make it to the grand stage of Olympic wrestling, and get done the way Cormier has against Jones, you aren't going to find new angles to take him down and keep him there. You need a new approach.

I'm hoping the Style Bender (Israel Adesanya), who fights this weekend, can evolve into a guy that's more than just bad ass at stand up. I hope he gets good at wrestling too. That guy has great potential if he can learn new games like that. But if he doesn't, he's gonna just be another Edson Barboza. Looking real good til he gets to the top guys. And wrestling is a very hard thing to learn, much like striking. Jon Jones is kind of the guy to look at as far as having everything figured out the way that it is right now.

***In other news, the UFC is looking a deal with NBC and ESPN splitting their investment and having fighters who belong to each brand exclusively outside of 6 PPV's a year and new weight classes for men at 165 and women at 105 to add more matches throughout the year. I wish they'd add a 225 lb. division, but I guess there isn't a lot of competition there right now that is world class enough warrant that.

I don't see Bones providing a model for others to follow. He's an exceptional freakish athlete, not someone who teaches you how to beat a wrestler. Jon Jones is just so incredibly talented that DC has to adapt to the elephant in the room but no one else has replicated that elephant.

Women's 105 doesn't seem like a good idea to me. How many competitive fights are we missing out on because there are women who can't make 115? We're talking women shorter than 5'2 and they already have a depth problem in every women's division.

Men's 165 would be good. 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 180. More title fights, more excitement, more opportunities for cross-over champ-champs, more top-ranked fighters to top cards with, and fewer fight cancellations mid-week because a guy can't cut are all good for business. For the sport there's a lot of guys who don't look good at 170 but can't make 155 so we get more talent. If legit weight cutting rules are established, this becomes all the more important.

Also GSP for the inaugural 165 belt! Old man can not worry about his weight and just crush.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its almost tragic that Furgeson never got a chance to fight Khabib. 4 tries, 4 fails. Dana said he will never make that match again. Who knows, but maybe Tony could have stuffed him and kicked his skull into orbit. Its crazy all of the talent in that division.

Would you guys all just auto pick Khabib against Conor? I wouldnt. Conor isnt superhuman, but if you look at his UFC career and the scalps that guy has collected, I would put my money on Conor. If Khabib makes one mistake he can get caught. Maybe he just wrestlefucks him the entire 5 rounds but I would love to see that fight and see if Khabib truly has what it takes to take it to, and perhaps finish a TOP level guy.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Dana is full of shit. He will 100% book that fight again once it makes sense to do so.

I don't automatically pick Khabib over Conor, but I think he would be the favorite. There have been 2 times that Conor has been in trouble in the Octagon. The first was when he was taken down by Chad Mendes and was beat up for a bit. Conor had absolutely no answer from the bottom, and basically had to wait out the round. Of course he still came back and finished Mendes off, but Khabib is a different animal. And obviously the 2nd time was when he gassed out against Nate and got wrecked.

If Khabib gets his hands on Conor, and I think it is likely he can, it could be a long fight for him.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You'll never catch me betting against Conor in the octagon, but you'll also never catch me not hoping he gets his face caved in.

Goatface

i like the idea of more men's classes
current ufc - 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 180, 185, 205, 265
csac wants to add - 165, 175, 195 , 225
don't know if that mean removing 170 or not
should bump 180 to 185 too

if every state would adopt the +10% day of fight rule
and the 30 and 10 day weigh--ins for titles
would stop most of the stupid weight cutting

----

"theatrical production level "

personally i think they all talk to much
they need to stop telling stories during fights
don't care if the coach was trained by a ninja from outer space
it is ok to not be talking

also, i know dana has shit on all the promotions that have be intros and ramps, but i just love that stuff

-----
early odds
Khabib -165 vs Conor +135
Khabib -200 va Tony +165

===

and the saddest fight announcement poster yet?

yLRljbR.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
i like the idea of more men's classes
current ufc - 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 180, 205, 265
csac wants to add - 165, 175, 195 , 225
don't know if that mean removing 170 or not
should bump 180 to 185 too

yLRljbR.jpg
What are you talking about? It already is 185, and has been for years.

I personally like the thought of adding 165, and bumping 170 to 175. Then you have a 10lb spread from 125 through 185, and then a 20lb jump to 205 at LHW. So adding in a 195 would make sense too. Who knows, maybe it would create more competition.

Guys like Rockhold are huge for 185, but would be on the small side for 205

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Call me old school, but i liked the early days of the UFC when you had 5 premier divisions and holding a belt meant something. Light, Welter, Middle, Light Heavy, and Heavy. To me, that was the best the UFC ever was. The divisions were fucking stacked, every PPV was a "can't miss" event. And the champions are/were the legends of the sport. I don't hate the little guys, but I don't get fired up for them either. It is telling their their championship fights are often on free cards, fight nights, or buried in with ppv's with multiple championship fights on them.

Is a 5-division UFC realistic today? No way. The way the sport has grown and sheer number of guys in it makes it unrealistic. I get it, but having 12+ divisions (4 of which being the women) today more doesn't necessarily feel "better".

These days you have guys with belts across multiple weights, not defending them or vacating them. You have guys jumping around from weight division to weight division, because they can. It is all just a marketing mess. Even your dedicated fans have to stop and think hard about, "What weight division is Max Holiday, GSP, Cerrone, or TJ Dillashaw even in again?" And these are some of the biggest names in your sport. It just becomes a convoluted mess at some point. As they add more weight divisions, it really becomes harder to care about them.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Khabib's style of threatening the TD and jabbing from the outside is something very few guys have beaten throughout UFC history. We've seen a lot of dominant wrestlers using early takedowns to snap a fighters confidence and get them focused on the TD over the last 20 years. Woodley right now is another very successful champ at doing this style of TD-Threat fighting. It lets them jab an opponent to death while they stutter-step in fear of being taken down again off the jab.

It drains the standup right out of the opponent. Conor is not exempt and Nate Diaz already starched him on the feet. Fans don't need to see Conor Khabib. Especially after a layoff.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think Darren Till is the real deal and can end up being a champion in the UFC. He is also an exciting fighter, we need more fighters like him.

Jayrebb you think Khabib would just dust Conor? Do we know what kind of chin Khabib has? He is from Dagestan so Im betting he has a solid beard. Anyway, I wouldnt just dismiss McGregor vs Khabib. I think Furgeson could give Khabib trouble.

• 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I look forward to Holly telegraphing every attack she throws while she continues her downward spiral as the greatest waste of potential women's MMA has ever seen.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I look forward to Holly telegraphing every attack she throws while she continues her downward spiral as the greatest waste of potential women's MMA has ever seen.

do ppl just like to see this 6foot gigantor in a bikini
A3Su3jK.gif

i thought they were gonna feed her to Cyborg, why is Holly propping up the FW division?

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Its almost tragic that Furgeson never got a chance to fight Khabib. 4 tries, 4 fails. Dana said he will never make that match again. Who knows, but maybe Tony could have stuffed him and kicked his skull into orbit. Its crazy all of the talent in that division.

Would you guys all just auto pick Khabib against Conor? I wouldnt. Conor isnt superhuman, but if you look at his UFC career and the scalps that guy has collected, I would put my money on Conor. If Khabib makes one mistake he can get caught. Maybe he just wrestlefucks him the entire 5 rounds but I would love to see that fight and see if Khabib truly has what it takes to take it to, and perhaps finish a TOP level guy.

Conor has a chance against Khabib, because that striking is lethal and Conor's takedown defense is good enough to get some shots in.

Khabib's ruthless pacing would get Conor to the ground eventually. Would it be with 4 minutes left in a round or with 1 minute? That makes a big difference to the damage Conor takes.

I think it's easier for Conor to train for Khabib than it is for Khabib to train for Conor and I imagine Conor's been working on these skills a lot in the last two years already.

If this fight happens 10 times, I think we would see 6 or 7 different scenarios. It's exciting from how wildly unpredictable each round would be – how many strikes can Conor land before getting taken down? How does Conor respond from the previous rounds' ground and pound? The most boring way would be ground and pound finish by Khabib after a takedown in the opening 30 seconds of the fight, but the anticipation would make this a thriller.