MMA Thread

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Jon Jones news will probably be coming during a big announcement from the UFC usually around July 4th weekend. There are some OK fights until the Chicago card in June but nothing to really get excited about I'd say. I think Fedor and Mir fight next weekend or something . I'll probably watch that.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
don't see anything about jon jones.
sorta surprising after hearing his manger/coach/agent talking about usada part would also been done in march.

Negotiating with Brock and Jon's management will take more time to announce anything fight-wise. Should be wrapped up in the next 2 months I figure, a summer time announcement.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Kevin Lee misses weight 157, fight still happening Lee forfeits 20%
It's funny because he had an interview with Ariel who specifically asked him if he had a nutritionist with him in Atlantic City to help with the weight cut. Lee said that he knows his body better than anyone, and most of those nutritionists are worthless anyway. Whoops!

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Dude just lost what $10k or more for 1 pound? Good on both camps for finding a way to make the fight happen.

Given the amount of guys who miss weight, you'd think employing a nutritionist would be a no-brainer from an investment perspective even if you don't believe they might help your performance inside the octagon.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
People who missed weight are much more likely to win. Fighters need to stop accepting fights at catchweight especially with important fights. Just look at Luke vs Romero.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
People who missed weight are much more likely to win. Fighters need to stop accepting fights at catchweight especially with important fights. Just look at Luke vs Romero.

The system sucks. As someone wanting to see this fight, I'm glad everyone found a way to continue. As someone who hates the current weight game, I wish this fight would have fallen through costing UFC and both fighters big $$$.

These guys probably walk around at what, 190 plus? Missing by one pound is nothing in terms of competitive advantage. If both these guys walk around at 190, one guy dropping 44 pounds (I'm assuming Barbosa weighed in at 146) and the other dropping 43 pounds, I don't see that being a big advantage for Lee. Good on Barbosa for extracting as much money as could be reasonably expected.

Goatface

Dude just lost what $10k or more for 1 pound?

he made $250k for his lost to Tony at 216 and $44k+44K for his win at Fight night 112

tried to look it up, but think it was Bellator in the UK, it was going to be -40% but only with a win

i can not find how much Yoel had to give up to Rockhold,
he was fined 30% and made $350 for his lost to Whitaker
and also cost him $20k in Reebok pay plus he could not earn any bonus for could be another $50k
so could have been as much as $175k

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
The system sucks. As someone wanting to see this fight, I'm glad everyone found a way to continue. As someone who hates the current weight game, I wish this fight would have fallen through costing UFC and both fighters big $$$.

These guys probably walk around at what, 190 plus? Missing by one pound is nothing in terms of competitive advantage. If both these guys walk around at 190, one guy dropping 44 pounds (I'm assuming Barbosa weighed in at 146) and the other dropping 43 pounds, I don't see that being a big advantage for Lee. Good on Barbosa for extracting as much money as could be reasonably expected.
One or two pounds doesn't seem like a lot when they drop from 190, but its the last few pounds that is the hardest on the body. The bulk of it is lost throughout training, and then they use whatever method they can to extract every ounce of water weight from their body to lose that last few pounds. I used Luke VS Romero as an example as you can see the state of mind each other was in. Statistically, people who don't make weight win the fight, and my money is on them giving up early and just chilling/resting up their body.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This years catchweights

fc124
Catchweight (150 lbs)Mads Burnelldef.Mike SantiagoDecision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
fn125
Catchweight (161 lbs)Michel Prazeresdef.Desmond GreenDecision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)35:00
fox28
Catchweight (126.5 lbs)Alex Perezdef.Eric SheltonDecision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

all the fatties won

last years
fn120
Catchweight (138.5 lbs)Raphael Assunçãodef.Matthew LopezKO (punch)
NOT THE FATTY FAT
fn121
Catchweight (128 lbs)Jessica-Rose Clarkdef.Bec Rawlings
Catchweight (129 lbs)Ryan Benoitdef.Ashkan Mokhtarian
Catchweight (160 lbs)Frank Camachodef.Damien Brown
Catchweight (120 lbs)Nadia Kassemdef.Alex Chambers
fn122
Catchweight (148 lbs)Rolando Dydef.Wuliji BurenDecision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
fox26
Catchweight (148.5 lbs)Josh Emmettdef.Ricardo LamasKO (punch)

The last Nine straight catchweights, the fatty has won

It's almost a given that the fatty fat will win

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
One or two pounds doesn't seem like a lot when they drop from 190, but its the last few pounds that is the hardest on the body. The bulk of it is lost throughout training, and then they use whatever method they can to extract every ounce of water weight from their body to lose that last few pounds. I used Luke VS Romero as an example as you can see the state of mind each other was in. Statistically, people who don't make weight win the fight, and my money is on them giving up early and just chilling/resting up their body.

Maybe. Assuming one guy goes through a full cut and makes weight vs the other guy doesn't fully cut and doesn't make weight, that's an advantage. One pound for guys dropping this much weight raises the question, is Lee holding back or did he drop 100% and he just came up 2 hours/1 meal short?

Just to be devil's advocate here. The weight cuts are so extreme we aren't seeing who's the better fighter, we're seeing who can perform better under some of the worst conditions they can put their bodies through. Am I the only one who'd rather see Tony vs Khabib at 190 or 200 than at 155?

I'd argue this is the real secret sauce to Mighty Mouse's reign. Of course he's an incredible fighter, but he also goes into the cage near his max physical capacity because his walking around weight is so close to what he has to weigh-in at.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well I'll be damned if that isn't a Tito Ortiz-esque prank where he was holding a 25lb weight. If real-- I'm dead wrong about Tony's size.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Furgeson is a lean guy but he is tall enough to add weight to his frame.

200 is kind of ridiculous, but Gustafsson said he usually walks around at 235-240 between camps. He makes 205 pretty comfortably, but said he COULD fight at heavyweight if he wanted.

So Tony getting to 155 from 200 isn't so outlandish but he is rehabbing an injury and a 45 pound cut isn't realistic, he probably walks around at 190 usually.