MMA Thread

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
I didn't really say anything about what the UFC needs to do be successful. I would say since they sold for 4 billion and just landed a new lucrative deal with espn that they are pretty successful already. I only used UFC as example since I was responding to Goatface but also because the UFC is obviously the leader in MMA. If they added new weight classes I guarantee you it wouldn't be long until other organizations followed suit.

What I did say is the sport needs to continue to evolve and adding new weight classes is a step in the right direction. It's a stone age rule that was made when MMA wasn't nearly as popular as it is now and not even close the amount of people actually tried to do MMA for a career as they do now. It made sense to have these weight classes back then because of that reason. You really would have diluted the divisions back then.

Paper champs makes zero sense considering there really isn't any atm. I suppose Khabib could be considered one since he fought Raging Al on a 1 day notice for the LW belt, though that's not really his fault. But to think he would stand no chance at being champ outside of that situation is just silly. Nicco (women's flyweight champ) would be the closest one since she won the title via TUF. Just because there is a few absolute beasts in certain weight classes, who should probably be 1 weight class higher, and the majority of the roster in those divisions would have a hard time beating or can't beat them doesn't mean everyone else sucks.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
cant w8 4 more divisions to dilute the product across 3 television stations. sick deal

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I didn't really say anything about what the UFC needs to do be successful. I would say since they sold for 4 billion and just landed a new lucrative deal with espn that they are pretty successful already. I only used UFC as example since I was responding to Goatface but also because the UFC is obviously the leader in MMA. If they added new weight classes I guarantee you it wouldn't be long until other organizations followed suit.

What I did say is the sport needs to continue to evolve and adding new weight classes is a step in the right direction. It's a stone age rule that was made when MMA wasn't nearly as popular as it is now and not even close the amount of people actually tried to do MMA for a career as they do now. It made sense to have these weight classes back then because of that reason. You really would have diluted the divisions back then.

Paper champs makes zero sense considering there really isn't any atm. I suppose Khabib could be considered one since he fought Raging Al on a 1 day notice for the LW belt, though that's not really his fault. But to think he would stand no chance at being champ outside of that situation is just silly. Nicco (women's flyweight champ) would be the closest one since she won the title via TUF. Just because there is a few absolute beasts in certain weight classes, who should probably be 1 weight class higher, and the majority of the roster in those divisions would have a hard time beating or can't beat them doesn't mean everyone else sucks.
Don't forget DC

He's only a champ b/c Jon Jones is a fuckup at life

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
DC is an all-time great. He's absolutely worthy. Jon Jones is the only man to ever beat him – he's 20-1-1*.

Jon Jones is better, but when you don't fight/defend your title/get suspended then you lose your belt. It's like saying Max Halloway is a paper champ at 145 because Conor left to go box or Whittaker is a paper champ because GSP fucked up his weight.

DC is the best fighter in his division currently and nobody's close. Once Bones' suspension is over and he can pass a drug test, he will have the opportunity to take it back.

Goatface

Usman/Maia was a real snoozer
guess Usman thinks he broke both he hands, but didn't see any followup today about it

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yair Rodriguez quote on being cut from UFC at 6-1:

“No hard feelings. You’ve got to move on from things,” Rodriguez said. “People live in the past too much. They live the past. I’ve been learning, this is one of the things that I’ve been learning: If you are living in the past, you’re depressed. If you are living in the future, you have anxiety. If you live in the present, you are happy.”

Great quote, sounds like a smart kid, it was fun to watch him fight. Looking forward to seeing him tear it up in Bellator.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He only got cut for being a retard and acting as if he had a lot more clout than he actually did.
Chael explained he got cut cuz of the UFC rule of refuse the first fight, ok, but you have to fight the second one given.

Now Yair will forever be a nobody in shitty Bellator

Goatface

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Fabricio Werdum of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collected on April 25, 2018.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
everybodys-on-steroids.jpg

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Fabricio Werdum of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collected on April 25, 2018.

More tainted supplements!

Goatface

didn't have time to read much about it earlier
he was one of the fighter that just got recognized for the 25+ milestone dealo with 27 clean tests before this

don't know why he was headlining the fight night in moscow after that performance against Volkov

----

----

Filipovic, 43, pulled out of Friday’s scheduled Bellator 200 rematch against Roy Nelson after suffering an 11th hour knee injury in training. Unfortunately for “Cro Cop,” the damage appears to be extensive. MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani reported Tuesday that Filipovic’s list of injuries to his left leg includes: an ACL tear, a partial MCL tear, a meniscofemoral ligament (MFL) tear, an LCL sprain, and a median arcuate ligament (MAL) tear.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Finally some good news. Brand solidarity.

FOX was 3 years at 200 million, or was FOX 5 years? Feels like 3 but maybe I'm confusing that with DW's contract.

Regardless, 5 years at 300 million is a huge shave from the 400 million renegotiation they wanted from FOX. Expect UFC to continue penny pinching and maybe throw a few stunts and spectacles in to pay the bills.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not a single MLB player on the list, lol. You have scrubs like Derrick Rose in the top 50 and female-Chinese swimmers on the list. Too funny.

To be honest, if not for fantasy baseball, the sport would have completely fallen off my radar years ago. This generation it has gone from a national to a regional sport and basically thumbed their nose at the millennial generation.