MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Things are changing as the UFC's revenue has sharply declined. There isn't enough buys to give a cut of the buys.

Basically, its a pay cut. And fighters will need to become accustomed to the new UFC.
Well then couldn't they just negotiate that they only get a cut of the buys if it hits a certain number? I mean if you are that big of a draw, you should be able to be on yourself.

Jive Turkey

Karen
They watered down the product. 8 years ago a UFC event was an event. Now they're every other weekend. People can't keep up and they stop caring

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
LOLOLOL

"sapp vs osunaarashi, round 3, the best round in mma history "

I know the guy wasn't being serious, but still...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
They'll be on ESPN next year. UFC is getting plenty of money.

The PPV model is going through some pains. HBO just announced they were dropping boxing after 45 years. The big draws (e.g., Ronda, Conor) are still bringing in fans but these PPV cards aren't blockbusters compared to the Fight Night events. They've diluted the PPV cards in order to make better free (cable network) cards, so it's a tough value proposition compared to what it used to be.

An extra division or two (165 is the easy one to make) gives them an extra belt to fit into their PPV schedule. The easiest drama to sell in the fight game is over a championship, and they're leaving this money on the table for reasons unknown.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They've diluted the PPV cards in order to make better free (cable network) cards, so it's a tough value proposition compared to what it used to be.

Yeah I feel like there were more contenders during the Golden Age too. Which helped stack cards.

I don't feel there is too much UFC (its still just 12 PPV cards a year right, same number we had during the boom era), but I feel they are spreading the promotion of fighters too thin. So thin that people aren't willing to pay money for certain names-- its become more homogenized and generic.

The TV cards and promotion of TV cards plays a huge role in dilution, not just by taking fighters off PPV cards, but also by thinning out the value of promotion.

Also I noticed the Bellator guys throw down a lot more. They have that boom era/golden era hunger that UFC used to have. There is a noticeable difference these past several months.

I guess my point is-- you build a name by fighting hungry. The hunger isn't what it was.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
UFC 229
LightweightKhabib Nurmagomedov (c)vs.Conor McGregor[a]
LightweightTony Fergusonvs.Anthony Pettis
Light HeavyweightOvince Saint Preuxvs.Dominick Reyes
HeavyweightDerrick Lewisvs.Alexander Volkov
Women's StrawweightMichelle Watersonvs.Felice Herrig

This ppv card has 3 womens fights, thats like the most this year or ever really.

Gonna go w/ Hottie, cuz why wouldn't you

i hope black beast doesn't have back pain and can bring it, volkov has been putting on a show tho

OSP gonna easily run through this new guy

why isn't tony and pettis fighting for interim belt again? heh, i'll stake it on Tony

I'll still go w/ Conor and his stikers chance, he'll weather the 1st and 2nd round beat downs and come out blazing in the 3rd.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll still go w/ Conor and his stikers chance, he'll weather the 1st and 2nd round beat downs and come out blazing in the 3rd.

3rd round KO here we go-- we're in business!

gas.jpg

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lol.

Yea Conor doesnt knock people out deep into fights. He does catch a "second wind", and is able to still at least be active and effective into the championship rounds.

But once that lactic acid starts to build up, he is much less dangerous.

Opening fight/first 3 minutes Conor is like you fighting 3 Irish guys in a bar all at once. Its basically unfair, the guy is so explosive, yet calm, and is able to do a really great job measuring his strikes to reap the most damage, overwhelming the most seasoned/world class opponents with a calculated onslaught from every possible angle. (Aldo, Eddie Alvarez)

However, as the fight progresses, and the fatigue starts to creep, he begins to lose effective power and his work rate wanes drastically. All of the sudden, instead of fighting 3 angry tattooed Irishmen, your now fighting just one.

But that one can still fuck you up (his decision win performance in the 2nd Diaz fight) it's just unlikely he will KO Khabib after the end of round 2. Perhaps a late TKO due to Khabib having taken an accumulation of strikes and being exhausted and unable to properly defend himself, but other than that this fight is decision city.

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Whittaker beat Yoel Romero twice, and is a great young athlete, etc, but Gegard might be the coolest customer in MMA. No emotion, no urgency, no shift in focus or aggression. He fights at the same pace, the whole fight, and doesnt waste ANY energy on low percentage strikes.

I just think the experience difference and technical superiority would get him a decision. But again, we will probably never see that fight.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Whittaker beat Yoel Romero twice, and is a great young athlete, etc, but Gegard might be the coolest customer in MMA. No emotion, no urgency, no shift in focus or aggression. He fights at the same pace, the whole fight, and doesnt waste ANY energy on low percentage strikes.

I just think the experience difference and technical superiority would get him a decision. But again, we will probably never see that fight.

Nah he is going to do one last fight before he retires, for the Bellator WW Title, thus cementing his status as MW GOAT.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I can’t shake the feeling that Connor is going to get pulverized. Khabib is just so fucking relentless. I think the only way he loses is a huge mistake trying way too hard to get into wrestlefucking range and getting caught. Could happen but it seems inevitable that this fight hits the ground and Khabib does what Khabib does.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I don't think adding new weight classes / belts are going to make the UFC any more money. It'll just be more people they gotta pay more money to. They have got to break away from the PPV model. 6-8 PPV's a year would better but as often as guys pop hot on a drug test and fights fall through who knows the best approach. The Buffalo Wild Wings around here don't even order the PPV's anymore nor do the sports bars that used to get every card and advertise them on their social media.

Goatface

iirc, Dana said the espn deal already put them in the good (as in WME is happy) for the next 5 years without counting PPV buys

Espn is going on all
think will see a revamp of the ranking system so they can sell it better
along with more changes in the USADA deal , wouldn't be surprised to suspension reduced from years to months

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
iirc, Dana said the espn deal already put them in the good (as in WME is happy) for the next 5 years without counting PPV buys

Pretty sure that just means liabilities are covered on the loan they pulled to purchase the UFC-- so they won't hit the red or default on the loan for the next 5 years.

That's "happy".