MMA Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm amazed/baffled how he not only finished the fight but was using the leg for kicks the whole fight.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
People are up in arms about a comment I made on twitter about Johnny Walker being next. That's how thin the LHW division is now. Jan Blacowicz should be next for fighting a soft jawed middleweight? You can basically remove 7 of the guys on the top 15 list. Reyes is ranked higher than Jan. The others are old or have lost recently. The UFC doesn't want to push new talent too fast and have them end up like Sage, Paige, Till, etc...but LHW is their weakest division imo. I think if Jon Jones move to HW then fighters would go to LHW from MW and suddenly we will have more competition. People are scared of Jones and that's for real.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
People are up in arms about a comment I made on twitter about Johnny Walker being next. That's how thin the LHW division is now. Jan Blacowicz should be next for fighting a soft jawed middleweight? You can basically remove 7 of the guys on the top 15 list. Reyes is ranked higher than Jan. The others are old or have lost recently. The UFC doesn't want to push new talent too fast and have them end up like Sage, Paige, Till, etc...but LHW is their weakest division imo. I think if Jon Jones move to HW then fighters would go to LHW from MW and suddenly we will have more competition. People are scared of Jones and that's for real.
yea... i'm pretty sure Jans best fight is his decision loss to Gus, after Gus tried to recover from his DC loss.

Like we said, lhw is shit, no one has the skills to make JJ break a sweat, so he'll just use the easy mode greg jackson decision victory route.

but you don't murder johnny walker by giving him a title shot, that reeks of stupid, much like how Till got a title shot.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure what an oblique kick is, but it looked like Santos hurt himself. Jones barely attacked his legs and I think he only kicked the left leg once. Apparently they didn't notice he was hurt.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure what an oblique kick is, but it looked like Santos hurt himself. Jones barely attacked his legs and I think he only kicked the left leg once. Apparently they didn't notice he was hurt.
J/W fighters specialize in it, right above the knee where the quad meets
Quinton_Jackson_oblique.jpg

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Ugh. As a guy with permanently compromised knees this really makes me cringe. People tend to wave off knee damage as "Oh, it's just 4 weeks/6 month recovery" but there comes a point where it impairs almost every aspect of your daily life. I'm only 40 and basically every time I stand up or sit down I have to explicitly collect myself and make sure that my alignment is perfect and I don't re-injure the joint. The mental vigilance is exhausting, never mind stuff like not being able to play soccer with my kids.

No kidding. Everything I get out of a low chair etc. I have to brace myself, makes me feel old as fuck

Goatface

the full salaries from UFC 239 as disclosed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. These figures do not include any pay-per-view bonuses or other payouts made by the UFC behind the scenes.

Jon Jones: $500,000 — $500,000 flat fee paid
Thiago Santos: $350,000 — $350,000 flat fee paid

Amanda Nunes: $550,000 — $300,000 to show, $200,000 to win plus $50,000 for ‘Performance of the Night’.
Holly Holm: $300,000 — $300,000 flat fee paid.

Jorge Masvidal: $250,000 — $100,000 to show, $100,000 to win plus $50,000 for ‘Performance of the Night’
Ben Askren: $210,000

Jan Blachowicz: $142,000 — $46,000 to show, $46,000 to win plus $50,000 for ‘Performance of the Night’
Luke Rockhold: $200,000

Michael Chiesa: $104,000 — $52,000 to show, $52,000 to win
Diego Sanchez: $103,000

Arnold Allen: $64,000 — $32,000 to show, $32,000 to win
Gilbert Melendez: $200,000

Marlon Vera: $96,000 — $48,000 to show, $48,000 to win
Nohelin Hernandez: $12,000

Claudia Gadelha: $102,000 — $52,000 to show, $52,000 to win
Randa Markos: $30,000

Song Yadong: $140,000 — $45,000 to show, $45,000 to win plus $50,000 for ‘Performance of the Night’
Alejandro Perez: $42,000

Edmen Shahbazyan: $32,000 — $16,000 to show, $16,000 to win
Jack Marshman: $30,000

Chance Rencountre: $28,000 — $14,000 to show, $14,000 to win
Ismail Naurdiev: $14,000

Julia Avila: $20,000 — $10,000 to show, $10,000 to win
Pannie Kianzad: $12,000

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Can't seem to find it now but a replay showed Santos kicked with his right but his left gave out as he pivoted in the first round. He would go on to continue to use the left the rest of the fight which I imagine ended up doing a lot more damage to his knee than the initial injury. So while he toughed it out, it was a poor decision to do so and potentially never fights again, which really sucks.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Interesting how many of the losers had more guaranteed money than the person who beat them. If not for the performance of the night bonus, masvidal would have made less than bitchboy. Rockhold still made more than the guy who whipped him. Gilbert Melendez too but I don't remember him.

I expect that's fairly normal I just don't remember seeing the payouts before.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Can't seem to find it now but a replay showed Santos kicked with his right but his left gave out as he pivoted in the first round. He would go on to continue to use the left the rest of the fight which I imagine ended up doing a lot more damage to his knee than the initial injury. So while he toughed it out, it was a poor decision to do so and potentially never fights again, which really sucks.
Did JBJ kick Santos in the legs before that?

It was likely well torn before the kick described above. Like in football, most acl tears happen with no contact because the ligament(s) were likely partially torn and the cutting move, or in MMA an impact kick to the joint, finally tore it completely.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not that I recall, if he did it was minimal. in the replay you can see his left leg try to pivot from the right kick but it looked like his weight prevented it from sliding on the mat. It is pretty clear. He continued to use both legs for the rest of the fight, Jones didn't have to kick him for the injury to get worse, he was doing it himself

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
jones is that fucking good, that he makes number 2 -> whatever look like trash. literally, we have never seen a human being move like him. and with all of gods gifts, he still needs to pulse, poke, and oblique front kick. what a cunt. he eyepoked santos in round 5 WITH a damaged ACL ... such ... a ... cunt ...

jon jones does represent earth in the intergalactic "show us what you got" championship. but he is as tainted as lance armstrong.

>> He puts out a massive clinic vs DC and gus

no he didn't. DC was grinding him down and got caught. gus didn't even turn up for fight 2. jones is that good we haven't seen him tested yet (sans DC and gus 1)

>>Santos held his own the whole match even with the hurt leg

no, he didn't, jones milked 5 rounds for us, the fans. were you not entertained?
JONES CAME OUT POST FIGHT IN A WHEELCHAIR YOU RETARD. Sorry caps

Yeah, normaly when I can easily destroy someone I let them beat up my legs so bad I can not walk for a month, GTFO . Jones is shit without the PICOS

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Interesting how many of the losers had more guaranteed money than the person who beat them. If not for the performance of the night bonus, masvidal would have made less than bitchboy. Rockhold still made more than the guy who whipped him. Gilbert Melendez too but I don't remember him.

I expect that's fairly normal I just don't remember seeing the payouts before.
those are mostly old contracts too

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did JBJ kick Santos in the legs before that?

It was likely well torn before the kick described above. Like in football, most acl tears happen with no contact because the ligament(s) were likely partially torn and the cutting move, or in MMA an impact kick to the joint, finally tore it completely.
as i said b4 jj worked the lead right leg, but santos fucked up his left knee from a funky kick.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hmm, so I was an idiot for making fun of Rogan for calling the ACL tear, Santos is an idiot for continuing the fight, and his corner is incompetent for letting him continue the fight.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Rogan and blowing things out of proportion happens a lot. There isn't a guillotine choke that isn't deep when Rogan is calling a match.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, so I was an idiot for making fun of Rogan for calling the ACL tear, Santos is an idiot for continuing the fight, and his corner is incompetent for letting him continue the fight.
It wouldn't be the first time a fighter fought through a torn ACL though. Pretty sure Conor tore his in his fight against Holloway, and finished the fight.