MMA Thread

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really want Justin Gaethje to win but fuck me, I wanted to see Furguson and Khabib soo bad. The curse on that fight is real.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
When Ferguson loses to Gaethje this'll be your avatar for 1 month. Tag amod if you accept. ;)

View attachment 266050

images.jpeg

Amod Amod

When TFerg wins, Bandwagon Bandwagon will wear this avatar for a month.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
So how does everyone think this is going to go? I have it going Gaethje if standing as I would think anyone would. On the ground I think Ferguson wins obviously. My question is can Gaethje get it done early before he gets overcome by the pressure of Ferguson and it gets taken to the mat?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just started watching TUF, but only seasons 18 and 19 are on hulu. What's the best season to pick up elsewhere? Would prefer to have some people still fighting in it.

Sterling

El Presidente
So how does everyone think this is going to go? I have it going Gaethje if standing as I would think anyone would. On the ground I think Ferguson wins obviously. My question is can Gaethje get it done early before he gets overcome by the pressure of Ferguson and it gets taken to the mat?
I wonder how good their camps for the fight are going to work out.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Man, I've been thinking for about a year now about doing MMA and I just ran in to the only local jujitsu coach in the area about a month ago at the grocery store. Really thinking about signing up over the last few weeks and my lady is encouraging me to do it, but I don't think she really understands the time commitment. All I do right now is work, play with my 2yo daughter and sleep 4-5 hours a night, so there's really only one area that it'll cut in to. I was on a boxing team in my 20s and I know the expectations, but I'm 35 with a job and a family now and wondering if it's just selfish to start on something like this?

Honestly, I just want to get back in tip-top shape and I know it's not going to happen unless I have an objective. I feel like a 60 year old at a desk since leaving the fire department. Anyone else get into this at an older age? Any reason to do it when you're past your competitive years?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm 35 with a job and a family now and wondering if it's just selfish to start on something like this?
Dude you could go for one session every other Saturday if you wanted to. The only person making a timeline or expectation for yourself is you. Unless you are going to compete professionally you are beholden to no one. Progress at your own pace.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Man, I've been thinking for about a year now about doing MMA and I just ran in to the only local jujitsu coach in the area about a month ago at the grocery store. Really thinking about signing up over the last few weeks and my lady is encouraging me to do it, but I don't think she really understands the time commitment. All I do right now is work, play with my 2yo daughter and sleep 4-5 hours a night, so there's really only one area that it'll cut in to. I was on a boxing team in my 20s and I know the expectations, but I'm 35 with a job and a family now and wondering if it's just selfish to start on something like this?

Honestly, I just want to get back in tip-top shape and I know it's not going to happen unless I have an objective. I feel like a 60 year old at a desk since leaving the fire department. Anyone else get into this at an older age? Any reason to do it when you're past your competitive years?

Clip by Jocko on his podcast: "Should I start Jiu-Jitsu later in life?"

Lenas makes good points: hobbies don't have to consume your life. But also, watch your joints.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

fight week !

Tony Ferguson -180
Justin Gaethje +158

Henry Cejudo -250
Dominick Cruz +200

Francis Ngannou -265
Jairzinho Rozenstruik +225

Jeremy Stephens +210
Calvin Kattar -250

Yorgan De Castro +170
Greg Hardy -200

Donald Cerrone +115
Anthony Pettis -135

Aleksei Oleinik +247
Fabricio Werdum -295

Michelle Waterson +135
Carla Esparza -155

Ronaldo Souza -130
Uriah Hall +115

1588689658616.png

the UFC will administer “both the diagnostic swab coronavirus test as well as the antibody test” to fighters and their cornermen as soon as they arrive at the host hotel in Jacksonville.
1588689745883.png

no way this will go sideways

EXPSkotXQAYxu_N

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Man, I've been thinking for about a year now about doing MMA... Anyone else get into this at an older age? Any reason to do it when you're past your competitive years?

I was 29 when I started BJJ. Loads of guys start in their 40's. Unless you're intending to go pro (you're not, you're 35), then go for it. It's fun, keeps you fit, and it's a good social circle. You don't have to compete if you don't want to; fuck people's expectations. Just keep in mind that it's a hobby, keep your life balance, and watch out for your long-term health. Grappling is terrible for your joints (I've had six knee and two hip surgeries - that's a bigtime outlier but everyone I know has had at least one significant knee injury) and we all know that MMA sparring puts you at risk for CTE.

Honestly, the biggest factor is going to be what your wife/SO thinks. You'll be out of the house a couple nights a week and chunk of Saturdays. From her perspective, does she see that as an investment in having a man with good abs and mental health, or does she see it as you skipping out on family duty? Talk first.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I was 29 when I started BJJ. Loads of guys start in their 40's. Unless you're intending to go pro (you're not, you're 35), then go for it. Just keep in mind that it's a hobby, keep your life balance, and watch out for your long-term health. Grappling is terrible for your joints (I've had six knee and two hip surgeries - that's a bigtime outlier but everyone I know has had at least one significant knee injury) and we all know that MMA sparring puts you at risk for CTE.
Yea, the injuries are what worries me and I just wonder if it's irresponsible to get into something that could potentially impact work and/or finances (medical bills) when I have a family. Weird line of thinking for me lately. I've been reckless my whole life and suddenly I'm obsessively risk averse because of a little one.

I'll go check out a session when the gyms open back up and see if I can jump off the fence one way or another.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I just wonder if it's irresponsible to get into something that could potentially impact work and/or finances (medical bills) when I have a family.

It's a real possibility. Lots of guys in the martial arts community act like it's the healthiest activity possible, but it really should not be a surprise that practicing using the human body to break the human body results in broken human bodies. If you absolutely cannot get hurt, don't do it.

That said, it's a lot of fun, great exercise, and did wonders for my mental health.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
did wonders for my mental health.
The main reason I started boxing when I was younger was to work on my anger a bit. Definitely had a massive impact. That's part of the appeal of doing this stuff now. We'll see...It'll be awhile before they start back up at the gym anyways, so I've got a bit longer to think about it.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Cormier is such a fat faggot.

He is never going to be UFC President. He blows smoke and constantly tries to keep the spotlight on him. If his game was more exciting and he wasnt a blatant cheater then maybe people would be on board, but thats not the case.

If we're looking at commentators, Bisping would be the best replacement for Dana. He's got a good mix of intelligence, charm, and arrogance. But Dana isn't going anywhere, so it's moot