MMA Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, sounds like I didn't miss much reading about it. I was bummed yesterday I wasn't gonna see it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ya, sounds like I didn't miss much reading about it. I was bummed yesterday I wasn't gonna see it
summary
prelims exciting
yan is a doof and lost the belt in the most embarrassing way
nunez v megan, happened how you thought it'd go
izzy, boring big mouth, first loss due to big ego and no respect for lhw

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

1615140361782.png

1615139892142.png

1615140510592.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dan Hardy was released by BT Sport as commentator. Thats the UK EU carrier of UFC events.

He had an incident in Abu Dhabi with a female employee. No other details available.

He has a fight contract with UFC but refuses to get surgery to fix his genetic heart condition and likely wouldn't be medically cleared.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Feels really bad for Yan if that was really a bad coaching call. He had that fight in the bag, just far superior. As I mentioned earlier, his defense was like something out of a choreographed fight scene. Nunes and Yan were by far the best fights for me. I told my wife I wanted to bet on Nunes, as it was the closest thing I've ever seen to a sure thing, and yup, 2 minutes no problem.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't believe TWO judges gave Blachowicz a 10-8 in the fifth round, pure insanity.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Feels really bad for Yan if that was really a bad coaching call. He had that fight in the bag, just far superior. As I mentioned earlier, his defense was like something out of a choreographed fight scene. Nunes and Yan were by far the best fights for me. I told my wife I wanted to bet on Nunes, as it was the closest thing I've ever seen to a sure thing, and yup, 2 minutes no problem.

i replayed all i hear is "punch, just punch"

sucks too, i believe they recently changed the rules, it used to be hand and knee on ground = grounded opponent, now i think it's just a knee on ground.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
sucks too, i believe they recently changed the rules, it used to be hand and knee on ground = grounded opponent, now i think it's just a knee on ground.

A knee touching the floor has always qualified as grounded.

The rule used to be "any body part touching the ground other than the soles of the feet", which fighters were exploiting by putting a hand on the ground while otherwise standing (hence the rules discussion about hands). The rules were updated so that two feet + a single hand no longer counts as grounded, but any additional contact or any contact by other body parts still counts as grounded. There's no grey area with knees, and Sterling's knee was clearly down.

Really terrible choice by Yan.

• 2Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Suave nailed it, but depends on the state/commission and which rules they're following.

What defines a grounded fighter is one of the bigger changes to think about mid-fight.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does that always happen like that? I didnt see the fight, was Sterling not able to continue?

I was just wondering if an illegal knee like that always results in a DQ or if he could of just been deducted a point or two.

Captain Suave

Does that always happen like that? I didnt see the fight, was Sterling not able to continue?

I was just wondering if an illegal knee like that always results in a DQ or if he could of just been deducted a point or two.

Within the context of the current rules, yes, the fight should be stopped by a doctor if there's any significant damage to the recipient. Asking the fighter is the wrong approach, as everyone at this level is tougher than they are smart and will opt to continue in a compromised state. That just rewards the rule violation.

That said, I really think pride rules are a better approach. There are plenty of ways to concuss your opponent already, what makes kicking a grounded person special?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The recipient of an illegal strike has the option to continue if the doctor allows it, in which case the fighter who delivered the illegal strike will lose one or two points. But he was definitely out of it, that knee blasted him to kingdom come because he wasn't defending against it at all.

That said, I really think pride rules are a better approach. There are plenty of ways to concuss your opponent already, what makes kicking a grounded person special?

If you mean full on soccer kicks to the head, that's probably a good way to lose all your TV deals and go back to being PPV only.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i replayed all i hear is "punch, just punch"

Khabib said he was told in Russian to throw it. He was sitting near his corner.

Captain Suave

If you mean full on soccer kicks to the head, that's probably a good way to lose all your TV deals and go back to being PPV only.

Dunno. You can down a guy and smash him bloody with elbows. I don't see soccer kicks being significantly different from the perspective of turning off viewers. Maybe I'm just a Neanderthal.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Clearly it was an illegal knee but that fake acting by Aljo makes me hate him.

I've been concussed and KO'd a few times and I just didn't know what happened or where I was.

He knew it was illegal so just take the W and say we will run it back. He wanted out and was on the path to getting put out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Clearly it was an illegal knee but that fake acting by Aljo makes me hate him.

I've been concussed and KO'd a few times and I just didn't know what happened or where I was.

He knew it was illegal so just take the W and say we will run it back. He wanted out and was on the path to getting put out.
so concussed he said

"wait" i wanna go do my joe rogan interview now tho!!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A knee touching the floor has always qualified as grounded.

The rule used to be "any body part touching the ground other than the soles of the feet", which fighters were exploiting by putting a hand on the ground while otherwise standing (hence the rules discussion about hands). The rules were updated so that two feet + a single hand no longer counts as grounded, but any additional contact or any contact by other body parts still counts as grounded. There's no grey area with knees, and Sterling's knee was clearly down.

Really terrible choice by Yan.
oh i believe it was the old "3points of contact" rule i was sorta talking about

anyway, we need for a chokeslam to be allowed when a gassed out idiot just basically took a blm knee and was waiting to recover
RareBrownBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The UFC needs to get rid of the "downed opponent" rule.

What the hell does it mean to protect yourself at all times mean>?

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
From my perspective Sterling did exactly what he was supposed to do. That being said, I imagine the reason he was crying is because he on some level knows that he quit to get the W in a fight he was going to lose. As a competitor that has got to fucking hurt. Now he's gotta live with that. I don't blame him one bit for doing it, he probably was fucked up by that knee.

Can you imagine if he fails to defend and never wins the belt again? Life time of doubting your own legitimacy. Hope I'm wrong but, Yikes

Still world champion though

Last edited: