MMA Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bandwagon Bandwagon You scare homie? My Gaethje is coming to knock your nerd out.
PTU3NiZjcm9wPTE
Your boy gonna get Khabib'd
WiltedRegularGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

UFC 274's main card will stream on ESPN+ pay-per-view at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on Saturday. Prelims begin on ESPN+ and UFC Fight Pass at 5:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. PT and will continue on ESPN and ESPN+ at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.

UFC 274 Weigh-in Results:
Charles Oliveira (155.5)* vs. Justin Gaethje (155)
Rose Namajunas (115) vs. Carla Esparza (115)
Michael Chandler (156) vs. Tony Ferguson (155.5)
Mauricio Rua (205.5) vs. Ovince St. Preux (205)
Donald Cerrone (155.5) vs. Joe Lauzon (155.5)
Andre Fialho (170.5) vs. Cameron VanCamp (170)
Randy Brown (170.5) vs. Kalinn Williams (170.5)
Macy Chiasson (145.5) vs. Norma Dumont (146.5)**
Brandon Royval (125.5) vs. Matt Schnell (125.5)
Blagoy Ivanov (253.5) vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima (258.5)
Danny Roberts (170.5) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (170.5)
Tracy Cortez (125.5) vs. Melissa Gatto (125)
Kleydson Rodrigues (125.5) vs. C.J. Vergara (126)
Ariane Carnelossi (115.5) vs. Lupita Godinez (115)
Fernando Garcia (135.5) vs. Journey Newson (135.5)

* Oliveira missed weight by .5 pounds, has been stripped of his title and fined a percentage of his purse.
** Dumont missed weight by .5 pounds and has been fined 30% of her purse.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
How the fuck do you miss weight in your title fight. That's up there with biggest fuck ups in mma

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
sweat lodge, shave your head, gag yourself, get your cauliflower ears drained, have some fucking blood drained, how do you fail to lose that last half-pound when you're the champion?

how many times have champs missed weight in the entire history of the UFC?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
sweat lodge, shave your head, gag yourself, get your cauliflower ears drained, have some fucking blood drained, how do you fail to lose that last half-pound when you're the champion?

how many times have champs missed weight in the entire history of the UFC?
I don't think it has ever happened. Some quick Googling isn't coming up with a UFC champ that has missed weight.

Goatface

hard to believe he didn't loose anything in an hour, would at least shaved my head.
guess on the low end going to cost him $120k.

1651868605099.png
1651868638386.png

1651868515755.png

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1651869068732.png

He's basically not surprised he couldn't cut the half pound. Donating blood during a cut is probably dicey, but as champ he should have pulled out all the stops.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Or, crazy thought here, move up in weight and stop destroying your body before every fight.

I know I have absolutely asked this before and always forget, why can't they just do day of weigh-ins?

Stop the massive cutting these people put themselves through.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Or, crazy thought here, move up in weight and stop destroying your body before every fight.

I know I have absolutely asked this before and always forget, why can't they just do day of weigh-ins?

I heard some MMA analysts talk about this recently. Basically it came down to people will still figure out ways to cheat the system. So its really just a cycle that keeps repeating no matter what. Even if I do agree its completely stupid.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

With a single same-day weigh in they'd just fight dehydrated, which presents significantly more risk for joint and brain injury. The only good suggestion I've seen to prevent cutting is to do what ONE is attempting and measure weight and hydration levels over a several weeks prior to the fight and prohibit them from being in an excessively dehydrated state.

Having competed regularly for a while in jiu jitsu (mat-side weigh ins), I agree that cutting is stupid and we should find a way not to do it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How did Oliveira, and his ENTIRE FUCKING TEAM, not understand he was going to be heavy? Did he not step on a scale at any point leading up the his final cut? How could you not anticipate being over the limit? This is so bizarre, he must of been cocky and just assumed he would slip in at 155, 155.1 and be able to ultimately get there, thinking he didnt have to pay closer attention. But then how the fuck was he not able to lose the .5 lbs? I remember situations where guys were over .5 over and still made it after the initial check. This is not in the UFC's best interest.......OR IS IT????

You would think the UFC would do everything in its power to work with the commission and give Oliveira every opportunity to make weight for a title fight.....but they didnt. They actually let this sink their title bout, the first time in the UFC's history that a championship was taken off the table via a fighter being stripped due to missing weight. I mean, this fight is taking place in Arizona, and Im not sure how strict their Athletic Commission is, but no one would have cared if Oliveira touched the towel or something to make the weight and have the title stay on the table.

Instead the UFC just looked at him and shrugged. Even the look on his face when he looked over to the official, he looked genuinely shocked and confused, not about missing weight, but that they werent going to allow him to figure it out, or make a shady decision to make it work etc. He was up there all alone, over weight, zombified and stunned.

*tin foil hat*

The UFC is excited about the development and let Oliveira eat shit so they can set up a mega bout with Conor McGregor for the vacant title. If Oliveira wins he fights McGregor for the vacant title. If Geathje wins, they dont make him the champ, and then make him fight Conor for the vacant title.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ever since I started wrestling in highschool back in the mid 90s, weight cutting has just been a thing. Every meet had us sleeping naked in the cold and running while wearing trashbags under sweatclothes in the heat. Anything to try and gain that competitive edge, because every other team was doing the same boneheaded shit. We never went as far as diuretics but nobody ate for at least 48 hours before any weighins, and drank as little as possible. Only people that didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary were the fatties or dudes who were asked to move up to cover a class we didn't have normal members for. Meets were full of absolutely shredded dudes who were at least 1-2 weight classes under where we should have been. The rules have gotten a ton better since those days, but it was pretty wild west before.

I've liked the idea of more weightclasses and people fighting at weights closer to what they walk around, but the reality is that it won't really change the cutting. Just that it'll make fights a little more competitive between 155 and 205 if you add a couple of extra ranges. 155,165,175,185,195,205 vs 155,170,185,205. Wouldn't stop Olivera from missing weight trying to slice off 20lbs before the weigh in, but then there might be more reason to move up if it isn't a 15lb change and the guys you fight are walking around 30-40lbs heavier than you are.

Still, gotta be a real shitty day for him. Now he has to face Gaejthe and the only thing on the line is now some money(and not even as much) and not backpedaling in the contender rankings.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
wrestling in highschool... full of absolutely shredded dudes who were at least 1-2 weight classes under where we should have been

I had some wrestler friends who I'm pretty sure had their growth stunted by trying to cram into lower weight classes for years on end. Adults risking their kidneys for competition is one thing, but kids, nope.

• 1Like